712 replies to this topic

#241 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

..... You could even alter the playing rules a little to set your new brand apart from the NCAA.

In an earlier chapter of this serial discussion, I suggested that a new college football division might separate itself from the BCS and gain more public interest by adopting rules that favored offense over defense. Let Wild West offenses regularly put up 100 or more points per game and see if the public favors that over an Alabama-LSU no touchdown defensive slugfest as we saw in their first meeting last season.

#242 johnnyzip84

johnnyzip84

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

I must have missed that earlier thread, Dave. Certainly even more emphasis on offense would seem to be something TV would favor. That's what made the AFL more watchable, even when the overall product was weaker than the NFL. The USFL (of which I was a big fan) is an interesting analogy. I agree that football, if done right, will succeed at any time of the year. So would the "spring game" become the "fall game"? :) Here are some other ideas to consider for the new association: 1) I realize a football only has 4 seems, but maybe some sort of red, white and blue color scheme could be devised for the "official ball". 2) Go ahead and pay players - although this could backfire when the ex-BCS schools decide to offer much bigger numbers. Perhaps an even more progressive approach might work even better. A percentage of TV/gate revenues, in combination with the scholarship, might work. While the ex-BCS school may offer more guarenteed money, I doubt they'd allow the players a certain percentage of their total revenue. They're too selfish for that. 3) Provide a more comprehensive health insurance plan than the NCAA. 4) Put more focus on player safety, through both rules and equipment changes, than the NCAA.

Bowden Ball 2014.....Fiat Lux.

#243 Zipmeister

Zipmeister

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

I must have missed that earlier thread, Dave. Certainly even more emphasis on offense would seem to be something TV would favor. That's what made the AFL more watchable, even when the overall product was weaker than the NFL.

The USFL (of which I was a big fan) is an interesting analogy. I agree that football, if done right, will succeed at any time of the year. So would the "spring game" become the "fall game"? :)

Here are some other ideas to consider for the new association:

1) I realize a football only has 4 seems, but maybe some sort of red, white and blue color scheme could be devised for the "official ball".
2) Go ahead and pay players - although this could backfire when the ex-BCS schools decide to offer much bigger numbers. Perhaps an even more progressive approach might work even better. A percentage of TV/gate revenues, in combination with the scholarship, might work. While the ex-BCS school may offer more guarenteed money, I doubt they'd allow the players a certain percentage of their total revenue. They're too selfish for that.
3) Provide a more comprehensive health insurance plan than the NCAA.
4) Put more focus on player safety, through both rules and equipment changes, than the NCAA.

None of these ideas will increase offensive performance. Want to score more points? Play 11 guys on offense, 9 guys and a female cheerleader on defense.

#244 GP1

GP1

Pontificator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

The USFL (of which I was a big fan) is an interesting analogy. I agree that football, if done right, will succeed at any time of the year. So would the "spring game" become the "fall game"? :)

It's already a year around game. Heck, ESPNU shows spring practices, which are horrible to watch. Why not show real games?
"...you want it to be one way. But it's the other way." --Marlo Stanfield, The Wire

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

#245 Zipmeister

Zipmeister

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

None of these ideas will increase offensive performance. Want to score more points? Play 11 guys on offense, 9 guys and a female cheerleader on defense.

Also, widen goal posts to run from sideline to sideline.

#246 SeeTeeZip

SeeTeeZip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

I must have missed that earlier thread, Dave. Certainly even more emphasis on offense would seem to be something TV would favor. That's what made the AFL more watchable, even when the overall product was weaker than the NFL.

Here are some other ideas to consider for the new association:

1) I realize a football only has 4 seems, but maybe some sort of red, white and blue color scheme could be devised for the "official ball".
2) Go ahead and pay players - although this could backfire when the ex-BCS schools decide to offer much bigger numbers. Perhaps an even more progressive approach might work even better. A percentage of TV/gate revenues, in combination with the scholarship, might work. While the ex-BCS school may offer more guarenteed money, I doubt they'd allow the players a certain percentage of their total revenue. They're too selfish for that.
3) Provide a more comprehensive health insurance plan than the NCAA.
4) Put more focus on player safety, through both rules and equipment changes, than the NCAA.

Great ideas, and I love the idea of presenting a truly more progressive game for the players and to the public. A more fun flavor of the game, heavy on offense, with limits on player weight by position to reduce impact forces, equipment differences and especially notable differences in the way that players are treated that change their essential relationship with the institution, man those are REAL differentiating factors that could really work. Man, if schools like UA are about to find themselves in the trash heap of D-1 college football, I would LOVE to see such a response.

#247 bobbyake

bobbyake

100% Zip fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:The Zips, Accounting, business

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

so ODU is not heading to CUSA, time for the MAC to make a move for both ODU and JMU. Those that think the drive is too long need to take a look at our softball and baseball schedules.
Forget about the Buckeyes, Go Zips!!
Twitter: AkronsBobert
Rubber City Brigade FB & Twitter
Posted Image

#248 Wally B

Wally B

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Great ideas, and I love the idea of presenting a truly more progressive game for the players and to the public. A more fun flavor of the game, heavy on offense, with limits on player weight by position to reduce impact forces, equipment differences and especially notable differences in the way that players are treated that change their essential relationship with the institution, man those are REAL differentiating factors that could really work. Man, if schools like UA are about to find themselves in the trash heap of D-1 college football, I would LOVE to see such a response.

Why don't we just start playing Aussie Rules?? :cheers:
Posted Image

NO F L A S H E S!

#249 johnnyzip84

johnnyzip84

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

so ODU is not heading to CUSA, time for the MAC to make a move for both ODU and JMU. Those that think the drive is too long need to take a look at our softball and baseball schedules.

It sounds like ODU is still weighing the move to FBS period.

The interesting thing to me in this article is that C-USA apparently wants 16 teams in the end. They have 13 without ODU. MTSU is supposedly under consideration. Is UA?

Bowden Ball 2014.....Fiat Lux.

#250 bobbyake

bobbyake

100% Zip fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:The Zips, Accounting, business

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

It sounds like ODU is still weighing the move to FBS period.

The interesting thing to me in this article is that C-USA apparently wants 16 teams in the end. They have 13 without ODU. MTSU is supposedly under consideration. Is UA?

I hope not. CUSA sucks.
Forget about the Buckeyes, Go Zips!!
Twitter: AkronsBobert
Rubber City Brigade FB & Twitter
Posted Image

#251 akzipper

akzipper

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

I hope not. CUSA sucks.

but you want to add JMU and ODU to the MAC? The level of competition is already diluted enough thanks to the MAC west, adding them will just make it worse. I just don't see how conferences like CUSA and the MAC can justify adding schools with 1 to zero years with a football program, to automatically put them in FBS the highest level of competition. CUSA may suck, but the MAC is much worse...

#252 Zipmeister

Zipmeister

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

but you want to add JMU and ODU to the MAC? The level of competition is already diluted enough thanks to the MAC west east, adding them will just make it worse. I just don't see how conferences like CUSA and the MAC can justify adding schools with 1 to zero years with a football program, to automatically put them in FBS the highest level of competition. CUSA may suck, but the MAC is much worse...

Fixed it for you.

#253 GP1

GP1

Pontificator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

The level of competition is already diluted enough

I agree. There are too many D-1A teams and most of them aren't capable of competing at the hightst level. It's more about delusional ADs and not about creating competition. True story.... A few months back, I had the AD at uncc come and speak to a professional organization I belong to. She is a wonderful person who is at the end of her career and is trying to leave her legacy with the football program and a new stadium. I think it is leading her to making bad decisions about the football program and the move to cusa is one of them. I asked her about my idea of a separate division for BCS level schools and she said something like, "We don't want to be looked at as different or less than them." In real life, I have trouble hiding my facial reactions when someone says something that makes no sense, but in a professional setting, I try to not say something that might offend. I could feel my face start to get a confused look on it and all I said back was, "Interesting" (this very thing happened to me in a conversation with TW as well, but that is another story). At that moment, her architect walked up and started talking to us and saved me from expanding beyond "interesting". Perfect timing or missed opportunity to save a uncc from doing something really stupid?

This is why creating a separate division is so important for college football. It will create a structure that will save schools like uncc from their own athletic directors and their legacy/resume building. It will also restore competitive integrity to the game.
"...you want it to be one way. But it's the other way." --Marlo Stanfield, The Wire

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

#254 akzipper

akzipper

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

I agree. There are too many D-1A teams and most of them aren't capable of competing at the hightst level.

Exactly. I honestly think that all of these teams should earn a jump to FBS. If they want to move up, they should have to serve as an independent for 2-3 seasons to get a good idea of competitiveness and fan support. If they show they deserve to be there, then CUSA or the MAC should give them a shot. How a school that has NEVER fielded a football team before gets to start out in FBS and got a CUSA invite before us is just baffling. Is our football team really that bad?

#255 GP1

GP1

Pontificator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Exactly. I honestly think that all of these teams should earn a jump to FBS. If they want to move up, they should have to serve as an independent for 2-3 seasons to get a good idea of competitiveness and fan support. If they show they deserve to be there, then CUSA or the MAC should give them a shot. How a school that has NEVER fielded a football team before gets to start out in FBS and got a CUSA invite before us is just baffling. Is our football team really that bad?

The quality of our football team isn't the problem.

I'll say it again. Spring football and screw everyone else. Start in April and the weather gets progressively better as the season progresses. Start in September and the weather gets progressively worse as the season progresses. I just looked at the Weather Channel. Many of you could be sitting in Lot 9 right now on a beautiful 74 degree spring day in Akron eating some dogs/burgers and throwing back some beers before a real college football game. UofA could be the place to be in the fall for soccer games, basketball games in the winter and football games in the spring and early summer. I may write an article about how I would do this and submit it to Deadspin to see if they publish it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users