Tree Treadwell Thread

zippy5

These types of incidents seem to run in streaks, similar to injuries. I remember some seasons ago Hilltopper and I were talking about how fortunate the Zips were to be so relatively injury-free. Then we ran into a period where a number of players were either slowed or on the sidelines with a variety of injuries and minor surgeries. The odds eventually catch up with you.

For the most part the players who've gotten into trouble are the ones you'd guess would be most at risk. We've discussed in the past the advantages and disadvantages of having intense, emotional players who are motivated to elevate their games and make spectacular plays on the court. Unfortunately that's the type of personality that's also capable of taking things too far, crossing a line and doing something stupid that violates rules and laws.

Looking at the remaining roster, the potential for emotional blowups and bad judgment appears to be less than it has been the last few years. I especially like the cool, calm efficiency with which Noah runs the team and hope it's a stabilizing influence for all the players. Going forward this team should be more like traditional Coach Dambrot teams with players more under control both on and off the court.

Tree's susepension blows. He is the one Big we have that's been through the wars. He's played in the Big Dance. He matches up physically with high-major centers and power forwards. He will be sorely missed in Charleston. There is absolutely no way to sugar-coat the loss of a Senior who was the odds-on favorite to win the MAC POTY. It b-l-o-w-s. Maybe it's only for a week or two..but it sounds bad right now...like it could be longer...

Somehow, between Forsythe, Cheatum and Johnson, we're going to need to use our 15 available fouls per game next week.

Are there some positives to come from the loss? Not really. If Cheatum can hit for a decent percentage from 3 (35+%), then maybe he can draw the opposing center out to the perimeter. MAYBE that opens things up for our guards and wings. We finally seem to have a few slashers who can finish.

Johnson is a serviceable big. But if he gets 6.9ppg & 5 rpg in '14 - '15, I'll be ecstatic.

Pat is pat.

The early Dambrot years saw a heavy dose of local talent. Four-year kids who were often small, but scrappy and talented. I don't mind the attempt to take the program to "the next step" and bring in some high-risk/high reward kids. But it didn't pan-out.

Now we'll see how "Dials/Roberts/Joyce - Part 2" grows. Missing your center in the MAC is slightly better than missing your point guard, so there's some hope.

Sina King suffered "apparent minor injuries" during confrontation with Treadwell 4 a.m. Saturday at King's home

It takes two to tango.

He gets into a spat with his GF and HE gets suspended.

What about her? After 30 years as a Law Enforcement Officer I can state without hesitation that more often than not they are BOTH responsible, but we ALWAYS blame the man.

I just said this to someone else.....

If Quincy got booted for a similar matter, by the same conduct board, I'd anticipate that the same thing is going to happen here.

My guess is that the "suspension" was issued just to remove him from the team until the matter gets a final ruling.

Quincy had two incidents over the summer leading up to his suspension. Tree just has this one that we know of.

Akronzips71, really? So many things against your "blinded" opinion. Ms. King is a star in her own right as a women's basketball player, so your double standard argument is so off base.

Also, who knows what happened there but we can base it off history. Of all people, you should know that(unless you were faking that you were a law enforcement officer for 30 yrs just to try and make an insane point). Who is the repeat offender here? And if Ms. King ever did anything to violate team/university conduct policy, or even against the law, she wouldn't be on the Akron women's basketball team right now. It's just that simple. Coach Kest doesn't put up with that. Anyone that saw her first year as Zips' head coach can vouch for that statement.

I am done with this program. Things Dambrot has done(or not done) with recruiting, coaching, and mentoring student athletes, are just repetitive and annoying. The list just keeps growing and growing on suspensions in this program. Then on the court, the student athletes hardly get better in their careers. When he recruits them, they basically are the player they are when they arrive and when they graduate(or transfer, go to jail, etc).

Now, on the who told who about this, if Ms. King declined a phone call, why would she say anything about it? She wouldn't want that attention. Lady Zips had a game Friday AND Saturday. So when they're getting ready for the game, her peers could have noticed, told Coach Kest or asked her themselves, and it went from there. Especially since if the day before those "minor" injuries weren't there, but were there the next day. It would concern some people, especially her teammates that are on a team that get along on and off the court. It's a family. If someone within that family is hurt, then word will get around one way or another.

I think it wasn't brought to attention until someone else on her team noticed it after Saturday's game. That would explain why he wasn't suspended until late saturday/early sunday morning.

I feel bad for Ms. King because her name was put out there by a guy that covers Can't State. No agenda there SMH... Anyways, It hurts me to see her name out there because of comments people will say like akronzips71. I understand some people disagree with my opinions, and that's fine with me. That's why this board/forum is here, to discuss our passion for the University of Akron and their athletics. But if someone is going to say that this is as much of Ms. King's fault as Mr. Treadwell's, you're on my block list.

Block away Bucky.

If you think he just showed up at her house without notice and any prior relationship and smacked her around for no reason, you have been buying too much stuff from AA.

There is ALWAYS more to the story, and I repeat, there is a double standard at work. Absent an arrest or formal accusation, they both stay or they both get suspended.

Everyone be sure to take a look at the number of guests reading this thread. Many could be media or fans of other schools looking for dirt. Everything that every Zips fan says here is a reflection on Zips fans and UA in general. If anyone has anything stupid to say, go post it on a Can't forum.