Game 2—@Wisconsin Badgers

wadszip

1 hour ago, zipsfan33 said:

Tonight on his show, Steve French said he believes Warren Ball and Lawrence were injured and he thinks they could be out significant time.  Anyone heard anything on this?  if so, this changes things....a lot in my opinion.

Hopefully Steve's ears are as bad as his eyesight, and he heard incorrectly. But if he stated it on his show...chances are it's got some validity.

Ball would be a near-season-changing injury if he were out (assuming we'd actually utilize him sufficiently at some point). Lawrence's loss would affect Coach Mitchell more than Coach Bowden.

8 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Hopefully Steve's ears are as bad as his eyesight, and he heard incorrectly. But if he stated it on his show...chances are it's got some validity.

Ball would be a near-season-changing injury if he were out (assuming we'd actually utilize him sufficiently at some point). Lawrence's loss would affect Coach Mitchell more than Coach Bowden.

Losing Ball is a death knell to this season. Lets hope that isn't true. This team has no running threat without him (unless you want to start running 10-plus jet sweeps a game with Natson and then watch him go out for the year). 

On September 10, 2016 at 8:38 PM, Buckzip said:

I know. Recruiting is bad. I see all of these verbals and so many are all excited because so many are Akron kids. At this point, Akron is the best offer for most or all of them. I couldn't care less that they are Akron kids. If they can play I don't care where they are from. 

When akron starts getting the majority of their recruits that had REAL offers from legit D1 teams such as Cincy, Marshall, Toledo, bottom tier B1G, etc. then that will be impressive. Right now, we are the best offer for the majority of our recruits. 

Until that changes Akron will continue to get stomped by these teams. 

The last time Akron had any sort of D1-A (FBS) success, it was on the backs of local recruits under Lee Owens. There was a stretch from 1999-2005 where the team had winning seasons in five of seven years. ... the last two being seasons where Brookhart lived off Owens' local kids. Brookhart then turned back-to-back No. 1 MAC recruiting classes (with kids being recruited by the schools you mentioned) back to the basement.

It's not the local talent base, it's the coaching. TB has a track record of winning, so lets see where this (and continuing to get P5 transfers) takes us.

Still, if you are going to go after HS kids in NEO, why not Summit County? It's the one major county in the region that actually is growing, and the HS football has been making major strides in the past decade. I'd say it has easily surpassed Mahoning and Stark counties (two of the historical hotbeds) and is quickly gaining on Cuyahoga. 

Look at some of the HS ball being played here. St. V has won two state titles in D3 and made another finals appearance in the past 5 years (with teams that probably could've competed for the D1 title). Hoban, also D3, won it all last year, and is probably the favorite to win it again this year (just took two-time defending D1 champ St. Edward down to the wire last week, 10-7). In Division II, Nordonia just went to the state finals two years ago. Hudson, in D1 two years ago (with wins over St. Ignatius and Mentor) and in D2 last year, made the final four. Stow, last year, made the D1 final four. This year, looks like they could make it back (with a QB UA is recruiting).

The City Series, while not having any elite teams any more, probably is the best city league in Ohio. ... The Cleveland Senate sucks outside of Glenville. Toledo sucks. Cincinnati pretty much sucks. Columbus has a couple good teams ... out what 12? Dayton is OK now that it only has like 3 teams. ... The City Series usually has four teams that can somewhat compete with the suburban/private counterparts ... Buchtel/Ellet then usually two of Firestone/East/Garfield ... with only North and Kenmore being dead weight. That will likely change, too, starting in the next couple of years when the city goes from 7 schools to 5. ... It'll be the same number of athletes, just at less schools. That should lead to an even better on-field performance from the remaining city teams.

Look at Buchtel. They are 0-3 but lost by 6 to Beechcroft (which I'm guessing is one of the non-shitty Columbus city teams since they are 3-0). Then lost by 7 to Benedictine (a team that won back-to-back state titles in 2013-14); and then by one to Canton GlenOak ... a perennial  D1 playoff team that is 2-1 with a win over one of the best big-school teams in Virginia (a state everybody is gawking over in recruiting) and then a 3-point loss to a historically good program in Massillon.

Buchtel is probably a couple extra good players (which they could get in two years ... if they don't go to St. V or Hoban) away from potentially being 3-0 against three solid/very good teams.

With all that said, even if you focus on Summit, that doesn't preclude you from going to the nearby counties ... Stark/Cuyahoga/Mahoning/Lorain/Lake to get recruits either. Outside of Stark, all are a tougher sell now, but easier if you continue to win ... and then maybe. 

Edited by wadszip
  • Like 2

Excellent post, Wadzip.  (I'm out of "Likes" for the day.)  I'll just add that I don't think anyone thinks landing the local recruits will enable us to beat a team like Wisky.  But, IMHO, landing the local recruits will make us a contender in the MAC year-in and year-out & take us bowling.  These are some very good players who've given us verbals.

To take the next step we'll have to eventually land the Weston Bridges (Copley - MSU verbal), Todd Sibley's (Hoban - Pitt verbal) & Malcolm Robinsons (Massillon DT - Purdue verbal) of the area.  The OSU, Michigan & Notre Dame recruits are always going to go to OSU, Michigan & Notre Dame.  but at least we're no longer losing the recruits to Toledo & Ohio. Hopefully soon we won't be losing recruits to Purdue & Pitt-level programs either.

8 hours ago, wadszip said:

Losing Ball is a death knell to this season. Lets hope that isn't true. This team has no running threat without him (unless you want to start running 10-plus jet sweeps a game with Natson and then watch him go out for the year). 

I think Van Edwards is a very capable MAC-level RB.  True, Warren Ball looks like an NFL-caliber back to me, but I think we could still go bowling with Edwards (considering we play in the MAC East).

• Like 1

On September 11, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Buckzip said:

Not sure what's up with our S&C program but Boxen hasn't gotten any bigger since last season and Copeland is smaller. The only guy that got bigger is Williams whom went from LB size to DL size. Odd. 

When I first read your post I thought the Williams you were referring to was DL Brennan Williams. But you were obviously referring to Newman Williams, who now weighs 273.

I've said this before and, I know, I know, the coaches know more than I do, but I wish they'd try Newman on the DL.  He's a beast with quick feet & I just want to see him on the field.  Two years ago he was our #1 recruit & though Dante Booker was ranked the #1 LB in the nation, it was Newman Williams who was making most of the tackles on that state champion STVM team.  He's a gamer.  He's a ball hawk.  He's a leader.  I want to use him while we've got him.

*Part of the problem may be that he has been injury prone, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Excellent post, Wadzip.  (I'm out of "Likes" for the day.)  I'll just add that I don't think anyone thinks landing the local recruits will enable us to beat a team like Wisky.  But, IMHO, landing the local recruits will make us a contender in the MAC year-in and year-out & take us bowling.  These are some very good players who've given us verbals.

To take the next step we'll have to eventually land the Weston Bridges (Copley - MSU verbal), Todd Sibley's (Hoban - Pitt verbal) & Malcolm Robinsons (Massillon DT - Purdue verbal) of the area.  The OSU, Michigan & Notre Dame recruits are always going to go to OSU, Michigan & Notre Dame.  but at least we're no longer losing the recruits to Toledo & Ohio. Hopefully soon we won't be losing recruits to Purdue & Pitt-level programs either.

This was far more my point. The players you mentioned are the ones we need. The others we have, UA was their best offer. 

8 hours ago, wadszip said:

The last time Akron had any sort of D1-A (FBS) success, it was on the backs of local recruits under Lee Owens. There was a stretch from 1999-2005 where the team had winning seasons in five of seven years. ... the last two being seasons where Brookhart lived off Owens' local kids. 

Every once in a while, we have to go back to correcting people on this one. 

1) Owens was 21 games UNDER .500 as Akron's football coach (40-61).  And please go back and look at how many of his 40 wins over 8 season were against lower division teams and pathetic MAC teams like Buffalo, EMU and Kent.  This was an era where the MAC had true cellar-dwellers, and he feasted on them.  His lone significant MAC win was against a QB with a broken leg.  Case closed. 

2) JD broke through that barrier and won early in his Akron tenure because he brought in QB Getsy, OL Aleman, and RB Biggs as transfers, and made the brilliant move converting Hixson to WR.  

Recruiting for the kids who are not, "elite" is an interesting process and is more about the kids marketing themselves than it is about coaches "discovering" talent. The recruiting websites, famous for their stars, generally have incomplete or inaccurate information about these kids. It's also not unusual for some of the non elite kids to get a little more attention after their senior season. Jatavis Brown and Cody Grice both went under the radar (along with many others.) Brian Bell came in with 3 stars and has yet to overly impress me. (I think he has potential, but not seeing it materialize, yet.)

At this point, one of the keys to the program's future success has to be getting butts in the seats. The athletic program is trying some different things, but one of the best way to get more local interest in the program is to get more local kids and to win with those kids. Last year, we turned the corner with winning, but it takes more than a year to change the reputation of a perennial loser and to prove it was not a fluke. You also have to find an angle to divert interest from the school in Columbus. Local talent can be that angle.

From a purely football perspective, I agree, I don't care where the kids are from, play the best kids. If you have watched over the last 4 years, TB has been trying to do more than just increase x's in the win column, he is trying to build a program with sustained success and that takes money, and money comes from attendance. Also, attendance matters to recruits. Kids like playing in full stadiums. Attendance has become a negative by-line that keeps being brought up in stories about the program. That needs to change. Not only has the team improved since Bowden took over, but the entire gameday and player experience has improved. Coaches who win games, only, and don't build for the future are building for themselves. Coaches who build programs are in it for a little bit more than that.

I think attendance is important enough, the team ought to consider sending the players door to door with flyers advertising games and ticket plans over the summer. Local support is paramount to the program's success. UA is still not close enough to front of mind, locally. There are steps being made, like the coupons on in utlitiy bills, but it is still going to require some effort.

I remember seeing this article in the ABJ last year.

Parade announcer Jasen Sokol of WAKR (1590-AM) noted early on that the day coincided with the big Ohio State-Michigan football game. His call of “O-H” elicited a boisterous “I-O” response from those near the main stage, located in front of KeyBank, directly across from Lock 3.

Someone else suggested adding a cheer for another hometown favorite.

“What about the Zips?” yelled out a woman across the street.

Sokol immediately jumped onboard, pointing out that the University of Akron is bowl-bound after Friday’s win over archival Kent State

The whole building process is happening but the part that seems to be happening the slowest, IMHO, is community buy-in.

On September 11, 2016 at 9:15 PM, K92 said:

We got into Madison Friday morning and took a tool around the stadium first thing and saw Barry Alvarez at the main gate doing a photo session.  The campus is a true city campus and parking is at a premium.  We ended parking on a residential side street a couple of blocks off Regent Street and walked over to Lucky's to grab a couple of beers and something to eat.  Awesome bar.  It is an old automotive repair shop with a pretty wide open floor plan.  A spot like this would be so awesome on Exchange Street.  They serve up a mean soft pretzel.  It's equivalent to about 2 loaves of bread, I think.We ventured across the street to the Big Ten but we're a little disappointed there.  It is pretty much a restaurant.  After spending a couple of hours off campus, we drove downtown and hit The Great Dane Brewery.  We are spoiled by the breweries we have in NE Ohio.  I'll leave it at that.Just down the street was the Tipsy Cow and we sat on the street there and drank a couple of Surly beers.  Finally got to try "Todd the Axe Man" while gazing at the beauty of the Capitol Building.  A couple of doors down was the Maduro cigar bar that ate up a couple of hours where we met a nice couple that led us over to The Old Fashioned where we ordered the official drink of Wisconsin, the Brandy Old Fashioned.  Great place.  This basically wrapped up day one.  We drove back to the hotel, ate pizza and hit the sack.Saturday we Ubered down to campus and left the truck at the hotel.  Parking is so limited we thought that would be best.  We did not see a whole lot of traditional tailgating going on.  It is very much a bar scene for pregaming.  Literally thousands and thousands of people were partying in not only the bars but the parking lots as well.  People were great. Very friendly and cordial.  There were a few random assholes that felt the need to say something inflammatory but they were outnumbered 100 to 1.  Only place I have ever been with a more welcoming fan base was Tennessee and I think the Vol fans set a pretty high bar there.  I hope we can schedule the Badgers again in the future.  Much more enjoyable trip than Penn State. The game was a big disappointment because we didn't show up.  I did not expect to win, but I was hoping we would give them a game.  Bright spots were few and far between.  For the first time in years we have someone to return punts.  That was great.  I am looking forward to seeing Ball in the conference schedule.  Offensive play calling and flow was awful again.  I don't forsee that getting any better.  Those who were hoping to see the TE involved in the passing game have to be disappointed. 2 games 0 catches for the TE's. Defense is in trouble.  The replacements for Grice, Coe, Monroe, Evans & Brown are not remotely close in talent level.  I was very worried before the season started about the front end and now I know why.  Hopefully Amato can do some scheming to help compensate for the defiencies but I think it will just have to play itself out as these guys get more experience. If the Zips get a victory against Marshall or Appalachian State, it will be a pretty big upset.  The offense really needs to make some great strides very quickly to have a shot, I think.  The defense is not going to win many games this year.  We will just to have to wait and see what happens because sometimes good things happen from out of the blue.  It's happened before and it can happen again. One more thing.  Sorry I get so worked up sometimes.  I have a lot of Akron in me.  Go Zips.

Entertaining read. Thanks for taking the time. 

On September 8, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Dr Z said:

I have never seen the Badgers QB play, but I know he is better than Voytik. I have never seen a Badgers WR play, but I know they are not as good as Boyd. I'm hoping the game plan is similar. Good luck. 

Circling back, I have to admit, I was impressed with Jazz Peavy's game. I'll have to keep an eye on him. Good luck against Georgia State this week.

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Circling back, I have to admit, I was impressed with Jazz Peavy's game. I'll have to keep an eye on him. Good luck against Georgia State this week.

I was there, and I agree.  Despite the fact that their running game eventually created some open areas for receivers, those guys still made some really good catches.  I don't recall a ball in the hands of a receiver or TE that was not a catch.  I was actually impressed and frustrated at the same time.    

Wish I would have known this when we were playing Wisconsin but Akron had a bit part to play in the Wisconsin tradition of playing the song "Jump Around".

Controversy briefly followed in 2003, when Richter, then the athletics director, asked for the song not to be played in the home opener against Akron because the stadium was under construction, and he feared the shaking could be dangerous. Outrage reached such high levels that Chancellor John D. Wiley was forced to step in. He announced "Jump Around" could be played the next week during a home game against UNLV after a study determined the building would remain structurally sound. 

So the last time that Wisconsin did not use that song at a home game was against the Zips. Fear the Roo. :)

• Like 1