Back when cutting sports seemed like the abyss...

DannyHoke

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

Just a couple things

Akron has 19 programs 

Boys -  Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Rifle, Soccer, Track & Field

Girls - Basketball, Cross Country Golf, Lacrosse, Rifle, Soccer, Softball, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Track & Field

Not sure but maybe your considering indoor track & field as another sport but it isn’t 

14 sports is the requirement to be D1, has to be either 7 boys & 7 girls or 6 boys & 8 girls per title nine

Also, the MAC requires Football, boys & Girls Basketball & Volleyball, so these 4 programs are safe for some of you guessing volleyball & for some saying football is so bad we should consider abandoning it

It's 14 sports to be D1, but FBS requires 16.

Didn't someone post an article a few days back saying WMU managed to cut 6-7 million from their budget without cutting a sport? They were already at 16 teams so they couldn't cut another team. If they were able to do that without cutting a team, we should have some flexibility since we're in a position to cut 2-3 teams.

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Didn't someone post an article a few days back saying WMU managed to cut 6-7 million from their budget without cutting a sport? They were already at 16 teams so they couldn't cut another team. If they were able to do that without cutting a team, we should have some flexibility since we're in a position to cut 2-3 teams.

Most of that was Hawkins' food per diem.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We should have never added baseball back and lacrosse, considering out financial position. Maybe its on Williams (I don't know), but my view from the outside was that was primarily driven by Wilson.

There was significant alumni and donor backing for baseball.  I like having a baseball team, and they weren't doing so badly before the pandemic hit.  All of us on here (except for the one who continues to leak what is probably confidential (or expected to be private) info are shooting in the dark as to what is what.

I'd be surprised if baseball has more than 3 scholarships currently. When they announced they were starting the program back up they said scholarships would be funded through donations. If they have 8 that means that either A) This program has a ton of donor support or B ) The university lied. I suppose B is a possibility, but I still doubt they have 8 scholarships.

Edit: I still think we should have required a $5-$10 million endowment to be funded before bringing back baseball. That's great we have a handful of guys cutting checks now, but eventually those checks will quit coming and we'll be stuck flipping the bill.

Edited by kreed5120

11 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I'm curious if baseball is as self funded as some claim. If we're even offering 8 scholarships that's a couple hundred grand needed each year just to front scholarship money. 

There was a debate on here about how scho

2 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'd be surprised if baseball has more than 3 scholarships currently. When they announced they were starting the program back up they said scholarships would be funded through donations. If they have 8 that means that either A) This program has a ton of donor support or B ) The university lied. I suppose B is a possibility, but I still doubt they have 8 scholarships.

Someone at the U broke it down for me and it seemed complicated but basically the deal was the the University wasn't putting much $ towards it.

They definitely have more than 3. You're allowed 11.7 so I went with 8 as a plausible halfway point. 

Not to say the university lied but I think maybe it was more of a PR move to put the self funded title out right away to avoid the blowback then ease into it being like the other sports.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

they weren't doing so badly before the pandemic hit. 

Luv ya NW, but disagree.  1 win.....not that it was expected to be a breakout first year, but they weren't any great shakes.  Once again, they were doing things right and progressing but doing badly.

Dear members of The University of Akron community,

Over the last few weeks, you have heard messages from me and the provost outlining the imperative need for the University to undergo a redesign so that we can emerge from the impact of COVID-19 in a way that financially stabilizes the institution and positions us for the future.

As part of that effort, we need to build a budget within the reality of our available resources, which have been significantly reduced. We need to work together to provide feedback on the plan put forth by the deans and the Office of Academic Affairs. And we need to do these things quickly. No aspect of the University is exempt from the need to contribute to the overall budget redesign.

As I have stated before, The University of Akron is committed to having a Division I athletics program, but the cost to do so must be significantly reduced.

I have asked Director of Athletics Larry Williams to develop a plan to significantly reduce the University’s financial support to the Athletics department and he has made a recommendation that does so by approximately 23 percent ($4.4 million). I appreciate his efforts and understand that these are hard decisions, but they need to be made.

The Director of Athletics will be sharing more of the details of his plan with the campus community via email today.

Thank you again for your collective efforts as we work together to address these challenges.

Respectfully,

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Dear members of The University of Akron community,

Over the last few weeks, you have heard messages from me and the provost outlining the imperative need for the University to undergo a redesign so that we can emerge from the impact of COVID-19 in a way that financially stabilizes the institution and positions us for the future.

As part of that effort, we need to build a budget within the reality of our available resources, which have been significantly reduced. We need to work together to provide feedback on the plan put forth by the deans and the Office of Academic Affairs. And we need to do these things quickly. No aspect of the University is exempt from the need to contribute to the overall budget redesign.

As I have stated before, The University of Akron is committed to having a Division I athletics program, but the cost to do so must be significantly reduced.

I have asked Director of Athletics Larry Williams to develop a plan to significantly reduce the University’s financial support to the Athletics department and he has made a recommendation that does so by approximately 23 percent ($4.4 million). I appreciate his efforts and understand that these are hard decisions, but they need to be made.

The Director of Athletics will be sharing more of the details of his plan with the campus community via email today.

Thank you again for your collective efforts as we work together to address these challenges.

Respectfully,

Gee guy, thanks for nothing.   Just sack up and release the plan.

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Gee guy, thanks for nothing.   Just sack up and release the plan.

Once again, I'm overcome with an overwhelming feeling of dread much like I had driving up to Cleveland for the the Akron/PCCC MAC championship game in March 2017.