Position Preview (and updates) - Wide Receiver

catdaddyp

Receiver was again the deepest position on offense, but the struggles at QB prevented a higher level of production in 2023.

Alex Adams - [Senior, Returning] - (5.7) 3 ️ - Former transfer from LSU. Adams was an explosive player in high school that hadn’t lived up to his potential at LSU. In his first year at Akron, that explosiveness returned and he landed on first team All-MAC. Adams played in 11 games in 2022 and collected 63 receptions for 855 yards and 9 touchdowns. Adams spent the majority of 2023 injuried and only caught 22 passes for 188 yards and 2 touchdowns. HS FILM * Star Rating Take: It’s still early for Adams, but he’s definitely trending towards his original (5.7) 3 ️ status.

Bobby Golden - [Junior, Returning] - (5.4) 2 ️ - Smaller WR with solid speed and some shiftiness. Golden played in 9 games on special teams and 7 games on offense in 2022. In 2023, Golden became the starting punt returner and also played in every game on offense. He finished the season with 17 receptions for 144 yards. HS FILM * Star Rating Take: TBD

Myles Walker - [Redshirt Junior, Returning] - (5.3) 2 ️ - Walker exhibits a fluid stride and flashes a burst to get up to his top end speed quickly. He did not see playing time in 2022, but was the surprise of the receiving corps during the spring game in 2023. Walker finished 2023 with 8 receptions for 66 yards and a touchdown. HS FILM * Star Rating Take: TBD

Justin Campbell - [Redshirt Junior, New] - (5.2) 2 ️ - JUCO transfer who signed out of HS with Ball State. Campbell was second team all-conference at JUCO this past season and collected 23 receptions for 403 yards and 3 TDs. He knows how to use his tall frame and can make difficult catches. Runs well and is a willing blocker. JUCO FILM *

Jacobi Moore - [Junior, New] - (5.4) 2 ️ - JUCO transfer who signed out of HS with Mississippi State. Moore was honorable mention all-conference at JUCO this past season and collected 28 receptions for 321 yards and 2 TDs. He is a long strider and has a subtle shiftiness that helps make the first defender miss in the open field.

Jarvis Rush - [Sophomore, New] - (5.4) 2 ️ - JUCO transfer. Rush collected 29 receptions for 318 yards and 2 TDs. He looks to be the most explosive of the three JUCO WRs and should push for immediate playing. Rush has size, length, speed, and a wide catch radius. JUCO FILM *

Adrian Norton - [Sophomore, Returning] - (5.4) 2 ️ - Norton played QB in high school his senior year. What stood out the most is his general playmaking ability and his athleticism. Norton has long strides when he hits the open field and is able to subtly change directions to keep defenders off balance. He is stronger than he seems, often breaking tackles, and has a high upside. Norton forced his way into action his freshman year and will not redshirt. He played in 10 games and collected 9 receptions for 71 yards. HS FILM * Star Rating Take: TBD

Phaizon Wilson - [Redshirt Sophomore, Returning] - (5.6) 3 ️ (HS) / NR (Portal) - Transfer from Grambling. Wilson had numerous P5 offers coming out of high school and chose Grambling (according to him) for the chance at playing time. He has a long frame and the ability to win 50/50 balls. Although Wilson is not a burner, he has plenty of athletic ability to create separation and make difficult catches. Wilson redshirted in 2023. HS FILMStar Rating Take: TBD 

Jean Louis - [Redshirt Freshman, Returning] - (5.3) 2 ️ - Louis has great hands and excellent balance. He tends to make over-the-shoulder catches look easy when they can often be tricky. It may be difficult for Louis to find much playing time on offense in 2023 simply because of the talent currently ahead of him, but he will eventually see action where Shocky played or in the slot. Louis redshirted in 2023. HS FILM * Star Rating Take: TBD

Paul Davis - [Redshirt Freshman, Returning] - (5.5) 3 ️ - Davis is a former Duke commitment out of Georgia. He has a college ready frame at 6’0” 195lbs and is a strong athlete. Davis’ best traits are probably his body control and excellent hands. He flashes a large catch radius and attacks the ball in the air. Davis does not seem that fast on film, yet defenders have a difficult time both chasing him down and tackling him. Davis redshirted in 2023. HS FILM * Star Rating Take: TBD

Kyan Mason - [Freshman, New] - (5.4) 2 ️ - Mason is a long strider who has a lot of similarities to Shocky Jacques-Louis coming out of HS. He has sure hands, understands angles, and finds a way to get open. Mason also returned punts and kickoffs. HS FILM *

Isaiah Jones - [Redshirt Freshman, Returning] - NR - Preferred Walk-on. Jones has a nice sized frame at 6’3” 200lbs and will likely not see action outside of special teams for the first few years. Jones redshirted in 2023.

This room is complete unless someone transfers out. It will likely prove to be the most talented position on the roster again, but a consistent QB is needed to throw them the ball.

Scholarship Players:

Alex Adams

Bobby Golden 

Myles Walker

Jean Louis

Adrian Norton

Paul Davis

Phaizon Wilson

Justin Campbell

Jacobi Moore

Jarvis Rush

Kyan Mason

Added:

Justin Campbell (JUCO)

Jacobi Moore (JUCO)

Jarvis Rush (JUCO)

Kyan Mason

Removed:

(5.8) 4 ️ (HS) - Daniel George - Graduation.

(5.5) 3 ️ (HS) - Caleb Anderson - TP = Alcorn State

(5.3) 2 ️ (HS) (Walk-on) - Jax Smith - TP = Southwestern Oklahoma State

(5.4) 2 ️ (HS) - Jasaiah Gathings - TP = UCONN

Removed Before 2023 Season:

(5.7) 3 ️ - Shocky Jacques-Louis - Grad. - Star Rating Take: (5.6) 3 ️ 

NR - Jalen Knight - Grad. - Walk-on

NR - Shawn Naim - TP (12/31/2022) = Vanderbilt- Walk-on

NR - Tony Grimes - TP (1/11/2023) = Slippery Rock - Walk-on

NR - Jameel Williamson - TP? - Walk-on

NR - Clayton Bone - TP? - Walk-on

(5.4) 2 ️ - Dakota Thomas - TP? (5/23/2023) - Star Rating Take: (5.3) 2 ️ 

(5.6) 3 ️ - Anthony Williams - TP (6/16/2023) - Star Rating Take: (5.3) 2 ️ 

Before 2022 season:

(5.2) 2 ️ - Oran Singleton Jr = Hutchinson CC - Star Rating Take: (5.2) 2 ️ 

NR - Timothy Scippio - Walk-on

NR - Alec LeSpina - Walk-on

NR - Bryce Profitt - Walk-on

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@catdaddypI really appreciate your in-depth analysis of the various positions and all of your contributions. Welcome to Zipsnation and I look forward to reading all of your future posts. 

My two cents on the WR's. I am looking for immediate WR1 contributions from Shockey and I'm hoping that Adams is going to step in an be our WR2 and live up to his potential. I really am interested to see how Golden develops and believe he will get some playing time as a Freshman and become a starter by his Sophomore season. Grimes sort of came out of nowhere a couple seasons ago and was impressive at times, but really disappeared last season. I'm not sure where I stand on the rest of the group yet.

Edited by blueandgold
  • Like 2

I really liked Arth's last WR class of Singleton, Mumpfield, Gathings, and Walker. Mumpfield obviously gone. We saw some flashes from Singleton last year as a true freshman (though he got banged up some). Gathings was out all year injured, and as far as I know Walker was fine but didn't get PT...but his HS tape was explosive as hell.

Shockey and Adams should at worst case be solid MAC WRs. Its really hard for me NOT to be excited about a young WR from LSU. Not playing young isn't an indictment against him IMO considering that talent that comes out of there, which is in the same tier of OSU and Bama.

We know Scippio and Grimes are capable of playing at this level as well, though there probably just-a-guy at most.

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with this group.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

@catdaddypI really appreciate your in-depth analysis of the various positions and all of your contributions. Welcome to Zipsnation and I look forward to reading all of your future posts. 

My two cents on the WR's. I am looking for immediate WR1 contributions from Shockey and I'm hoping that Adams is going to step in an be our WR2 and live up to his potential. I really am interested to see how Golden develops and believe he will get some playing time as a Freshman and become a starter by his Sophomore season. Grimes sort of came out of nowhere a couple seasons ago and was impressive at times, but really disappeared last season. I'm not sure where I stand on the rest of the group yet.

Thank you! I enjoy doing it and it helps me to get to know the roster more thoroughly. 

On a side note, I tried to like your post, but it looks like a technical glitch won’t let me. 😕

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I really liked Arth's last WR class of Singleton, Mumpfield, Gathings, and Walker. Mumpfield obviously gone. We saw some flashes from Singleton last year as a true freshman (though he got banged up some). Gathings was out all year injured, and as far as I know Walker was fine but didn't get PT...but his HS tape was explosive as hell.

Shockey and Adams should at worst case be solid MAC WRs. Its really hard for me NOT to be excited about a young WR from LSU. Not playing young isn't an indictment against him IMO considering that talent that comes out of there, which is in the same tier of OSU and Bama.

We know Scippio and Grimes are capable of playing at this level as well, though there probably just-a-guy at most.

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with this group.

Agreed. That was an excellent class that Arth brought in. As far as Singleton and Walker go, they really need to be pushing towards 185 lbs to give themselves their best chance to make it through an entire season. Golden is already in that range and could be an X-factor this year, depending on how the dominos fall.

Im really excited about Adams as well. We may land a few more like him as all teams have to get down to the 85 scholarship limit before the 2022 season starts. So that means more talented players, that haven’t quite lived up to their potential, will be entering the portal after spring ball.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

This group presents an interesting mix. There are some players who are head and shoulders above the others in talent and ability, but it’s a group that has a chance to be as successful as their 2021 counterparts.

Shocky Jacques - Louis - Senior transfer from Pittsburgh. Shocky was a part-time starter at Pitt and is a proven receiver at the Power 5 level. He has demonstrated the ability to make difficult catches in his career and will go up and get the ball. He should slide right in as a day one starter.

Alex Adams - Transfer from LSU. Adams was an explosive player in high school that hasn’t lived up to his potential. If the staff can motivate and develop Adams, he’ll be an all-MAC player before he graduates.

Bobby Golden - Smaller WR that can flat out fly. Golden is a prototypical slot receiver who can take the top off a defense. As far as year one goes, he’ll likely get some looks as a returner on special teams and may see the field at WR depending on his development and team need.

Jasaiah Gathings - Made a number of difficult catches in high school. He’s a decent athlete that has the ability to go up and get the ball. Gathings could develop into a possession receiver on the perimeter.

Tony Grimes Jr - Smaller receiver with a smooth stride. He’s not particularly quick, but does have enough speed to run away from defenders when he hits full stride. Grimes should see playing time in the slot position. 

Timothy Scippio - Nice sized frame and will use it to shield DBs to make the catch. He made some difficult catches in high school and could develop into a possession receiver to close out his college career.

Oran Singleton Jr - Smaller receiver who also brings special teams and returner value. He’s a good athlete that exhibits some elusiveness in the open field and solid top end speed. Singleton is not a polished route runner, but should be a consistent contributor once he develops that aspect.

Myles Walker - Smaller receiver that exhibits a fluid stride. He’s a good athlete that flashes a burst and gets up to his top end speed quickly. Walker is elusive in the open field and excellent at shifting speeds - using his natural burst to make defenders miss or run through arm tackles. 

Clayton Bone - Gets up to full speed in a hurry and displays consistent hands. He flashes quick feet to break on his routes and understands how to work back to the ball.

Jalen Knight - Bigger bodied receiver that flashes strong hands. He may struggle to create separation at the college level, but he’s physical.

Alec LeSpina - Shows decent hands. He has a shorter, choppy stride, but runs hard. May struggle to create separation at the college level.

Shawn Naim - Tall with long arms. He exhibits strong hands and the ability to extend for the catch. Willing blocker, but may struggle to create separation at the college level.

Bryce Profitt - Good athlete that will go up and get the ball. He shows some shiftiness in the open field and has decent, not elite, top end speed.

Jameel Williamson - Solid athlete that displays consistent hands. He has the ability to go up and get the ball when needed. Williamson could develop into a perimeter possession receiver.

I suspect the staff will continue to monitor the portal for another explosive player or two. Even if this group stays status quo, I think they’ll be productive due to the scheme they’ll be playing in.

I’m anxious to see if Singleton, Walker, and Grimes can take the next step and help open up this offense. On the outside, I expect Shocky and Adams to lock down starting spots. But who else will step up? There will be ample opportunity for one of the more unheralded receivers to land playing time with the way the roster is currently constructed.

Let’s hear the boards thoughts!

Another great analysis.  However, I still think losing Mathison, Mumpfield, and Qualls takes a small step backward, even with the additions.  I do think there is talent in this group who can be very good.  

When I look at this list of WR's, I do not know how many are on scholarship.  However, I think that this is one group where Akron and Coach JoeMo should shed some scholarships of players who are not D1 talent.  I would take action after spring ball and the detailed evaluation of the players.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Are you saying that all teams have more than 85 scholarships before a season starts?

The word on ZipsNation last year was that the Zips never got up to 85 scholarships.

I don’t know the numbers for each team in college football. Nor do I know where I can find an accurate scholarship count for Akron - 247’s list is not correct. I know most Power 5 teams were/are over the limit due to last year’s senior class - and any players who were currently enrolled - getting an extra year of eligibility if they wanted it.

The NCAA permits up to 25 scholarships to be given each year. For this year, each school received an extra scholarship to give for each player that transferred out up to 7 max. So if 7 or more players transferred out, a school would have up to 32 scholarships to give for this years class. However, not all schools give the full allotted amount every year as it is.

As a way of getting around the numbers, blueshirting has gained popularity. It’s a way to add more players to the current year’s class, but the scholarship actually counts towards the following year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Another great analysis.  However, I still think losing Mathison, Mumpfield, and Qualls takes a small step backward, even with the additions.  I do think there is talent in this group who can be very good.  

When I look at this list of WR's, I do not know how many are on scholarship.  However, I think that this is one group where Akron and Coach JoeMo should shed some scholarships of players who are not D1 talent.  I would take action after spring ball and the detailed evaluation of the players.  

Thank you and I appreciate the feedback!

My best guess as to who our scholarship WRs are:

SJL

Adams

Golden

Grimes

Singleton

Walker

Gathings

Scippio

I suspect we’ll see some roster turnover after spring ball. Moorhead has alluded to it already. We might even lose a handful of talented guys, but it’ll be for better in the end. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Have to say GT is doing a nice job with these position previews. Wonder if he got the idea from @catdaddyp lol

Haha! Whatever gets the ball rolling! We’re all hungry for more information and it’s good to see some being produced. Everything I put on the board is just opinion and speculation from the small amount of film and info. available to us. I’d love to be able to attend the practices, but living 2 hours away prevents that. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Any idea what happened to Singleton?

I’m not sure what happened. His absence surprised me as he looked pretty good with the backups in the spring game. His Twitter does not have him listed as an Akron football player anymore, so I’m pretty sure he’s gone. He’s from Florida so maybe he was looking to play somewhere closer to home? I haven’t seen anything related to portal activity, but all the recruiting services have been overwhelmed on that front lately.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 3:49 PM, catdaddyp said:

I’m not sure what happened. His absence surprised me as he looked pretty good with the backups in the spring game. His Twitter does not have him listed as an Akron football player anymore, so I’m pretty sure he’s gone. He’s from Florida so maybe he was looking to play somewhere closer to home? I haven’t seen anything related to portal activity, but all the recruiting services have been overwhelmed on that front lately.

His profile now says he's at Hutchinson CC, so grades may have been an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This is our most complete position group IMO. Do you think anyone will transfer out due to a lack of playing time behind Adams/George/Golden?

Wouldn’t be surprised. I also expect to bring in another WR or two out of the portal. Shocky’s position is still up for grabs. Adams and Golden should split time in the slot, while George and Anderson will split time. Although, I hope Golden and Anderson will spend some time learning the other receiver positions to give themselves more of a chance at PT.