http://wakr.net/news/item/159214-ua-planning-to-cut-jobs-baseball-program Per Larry Burns interview: * baseball player scholarships will be honored if they stay at UA * need for baseball facilities capital investments (which we can't afford) figured prominently in the decision to target baseball * Title IX issues would have been created by cutting any womens sports
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/odds?group=2&type=0 I'll take the Zips +31 points (come on, defense). For comparison, the Zips lost at UCF 38-7 to open the 2013 season. I think they keep this one closer.
I still think the arena will be built down by Canal Park. The baseball field can become a general-use area for football drills, cadet/ROTC drills, intramurals, etc.
Would it be safe to assume the baseball elimination is effective immediately? Players/coaches will certainly be transferring out and none coming in...I'd think it would be difficult to field a team as soon as next spring. Would the current players' full ride schollies still be honored if they decided to stay at Akron to complete their degrees?
On the bright side, SS has stated that attendance will be a key metric in evaluations of the new AD. It gives me a glimmer of hope that he will hire someone with some creativity and marketing skills above all else.
I don't know if there's an FBS stadium capacity requirement, but building a new 15-20K "FBS" stadium would have been the surest sign it was time to pull the plug.
That story & quote were repeated in numerous Ohio and national media outlets. Did SS make any retraction or clarification, or ask the ABJ to do so? If not, he seems to be standing behind it.
Longtime director of University of Akron music program dies during July 4 performance of community band http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/longtime-director-of-university-of-akron-music-program-dies-during-july-4-performance-of-community-band-1.605627 http://freedombrassband.com/music-director/
UA robotics team finishes second in lunar mining competition http://www.uakron.edu/im/news/ua-robotics-team-finishes-second-in-lunar-mining-competition/
I think it will be a nice addition to the football games. I think they should sit across from the band to do some back and forth cheers. I just hope they don't bring a cannon.
I won't even post the link to the recent ABJ attendance article, but it says that Prez SS says he wouldn't have built the new stadium. Anyone have any insight or has heard him comment as to what he would have done instead?
"It appears the NHL will have a new overtime format for the 2015-16 regular season. That should be music to the ears of anyone that despises the shootout." http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25223123/report-three-on-three-overtime-coming-to-nhl-pending-board-approval
New rocket design team looks to make UA historyhttp://www.uakron.edu/engineering/about-us/news-detail.dot?newsId=5412e6e2-1df9-44c3-b440-ef8ae0b9f217&pageTitle=Recent%20Headlines&crumbTitle=New%20rocket%20design%20team%20looks%20to%20make%20UA%20history
I really don't see any of the other state U.'s having much say in what happens with the NEO schools. I mean how chicken-poo would they have to be to lobby the state to try and suppress the improvement of higher education in Ohio because they might look less superior? And I would hope our governor, regents and legislators are above being susceptible to that kind of nonsense.