Fans

g-mann17

If there is one thing that I noticed (and I make fun of all the time) it's that since we showed we are a program capable and full of potential we are getting people talking about us. Some of these people a month ago would not have even acknowledged us. My questions for Zips Nation...Will this one gritty, gutsy performance in the NCAA tournament equal a larger fan following for next year? Has this hard working blue collar team, and incredibly determined coach, endeared itself to the city?

I hope it gives us at least a somewhat larger fanbase. I don't think this was a performance that is going to draw another 2,500+ people into the JAR on average next year but if we can draw a couple hundred more people in next year it will be a good start. How things go at the beginning of next season is going to make a big difference. We have to come out and build on what we did to end this year. If we come out of the gate flat any interest we might have gained will quickly go by the wayside. Scheduling will also be a big issue. If there was ever a year where we will need to add some quality opponents next year seems to be the year. This team has shown that they aren't afraid of the big stage.

Short answer: No.Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.Akron will have to earn the respect of the media and local fans all over again. It resets after the season ends and we start the cycle all over again. It's only after sustained success over many years that we'll see a consistently larger fan base. Just look at that team to the east as an example. I believe they had worse attendance than we did, coming off an NCAA appearance and being the favorite to win the MAC.Win the MAC three times in a row and you'll see improvement, because that means that we're a proven winner which is something this region lacks.

For the first 30-35 minutes of the game, UofA played the most exciting brand of basketball I have ever seen them play in the KD era. They executed great on the offensive end and made open shots when presented. There was a little of everything last night and the game was fun to watch. If they play that exciting brand of basketball next year and people don't go watch, they will never go watch. It would be a shame if that happened because that is good entertainment. Well worth the money!

I'm sure a few more people will jump into the fold at the beginning of the season. And I'm sure a few more will show up out of curiosity over the arrival of Zeke Marshall. But once again....The "Joe Akrons", and all of the people who think that Ohio State is the only "real" college basketball team in the area, won't start coming until we do something of NATIONAL SIGNIFICANCE. Last night was an opportunity to score some points with some of these people, but it didn't happen. Just being a top level MAC team isn't going to change things in a real significant way.

I bet a guy $20.00 that the Zips' JAR attendance will go from 2.9k to 3.7k next season. KD has done his part on the court. Boals and staff have set the table with great recruits. To get to 3.7k Mack and McFadden now need to get an attention-grabbing schedule. The Zips also need to get off to a good start in 2009-10 and capitalize on the excitement that will surround the program this fall.KD and Company have made progress every season. We need to keep progressing. We need to knock off a Top 25 team. We need to win an NCAA tourney game. Expectations will be justifiably high for 2009-10. We need to meet them!Joe Akron is ready to erupt.

I thought about posting this earlier in the year, but decided to save this for another post (and this seems as good as any). I remember towards the end of the season there was a game when all the frats and sororities were in attendance...well for half the game at least. Shouldn't frats be more into their school sports teams? Can't they create a little competition between themselves to get into the game? I dunno just thoughts...anyone in a frat have any opinions?

The interesting thing about having these discussions is that we seldom draw a distinction between attendance increases and a packed house. Kangaroo talks about an increase in attendance. This is a realistic perspective, although I am not sure if there will be 800 more people EVERY game than what we saw this year. But 2,900 was such a disappointing number (and that's not even excluding the no-shows in lower reserved) for a team that was winning that you'd have to anticipate that there will be some kind of increase.But once again, anything bigger than that is going to take something of national significance. And I'd absolutely be in favor of an upgrade in scheduling. Zipwatcher...I'd sure love to see the difference between 85/86 and 86/87 in terms of attendance numbers, if that data is available. Those years were both at the tail end of my student days, so I remember them well. I don't recall any sellouts in 86/87 (with the exception of the Cleveland State game in December 86...which was actually MORE than a sellout), but I recall the crowds being bigger. And maybe the biggest point of all is that I can recall darn near packing one entire side (the upper reserved section, which was still bleachers at the time) with STUDENTS for key games. Let's just hope one thing about that era does not repeat itself......the 86/87 team also returned everyone except ONE senior, and added some good recruits, and we did not repeat our OVC title.

the biggest problem with attendance was nobody expected much from this team.the zips should pick up some fans now,but how many is a big question.ck is right on point.expectations are going to be higher next year.if the zips start off slow thenthe fans will jump off the band wagon.just because we have most of the guys coming back next year does not mean we will be any better.every team in the mac will be gunning for us now.i think the loss of nate will hurt.the biggest question is how much will zeke help.the zips then can move nik,and chris to the four spot.we should have alott of depth next year also.if zeke can give us quality min then the rest of the mac is in trouble.if akron is going to the next level we need a decent big man.we can win mac games with a 6-8 center.your are not going to win quality occ games without a 6-10+ big man.it's alott of pressure to put on a freshman center. im hoping zeke will give this team a big lift,and put akron into a top 50 team next year.

WAYYYYYYY BACK IN THE LATERZA ERA, I COULD NOT FIGURE WHY THE STANDS WERE NOT PACKED EVERY GAME; I DECIDED I WAS ONLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ME, AND I WAS THERE. I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT, BUT STILL AM ONLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ME. :D
That's another thing. KD isn't half as colorful as Tony. I remember an Akron City cop telling me about the time he pulled Tony over driving on High Street late one night (or early one morning). The cop took a look at Tony's companion and asked Tony if he knew the name of the person sitting next to him. Tony replied, "Sure, that's Linda." The cop recognized the individual from previous brushes with the law and said, "No, Tony that's Frank."

:rolleyes: i don't normally get on the b.ball site...but...the ZIPS showed a lot last night....if i am KD i am on the phone to gonzaga and trying to set up a contract for regular season games...i'd go for a 2-1-2...go to skeedaddle next year...as long as they agree to come here the following year...then go back to skeeedaddle the third year...the way the ZIPS played these guys they could start a rivalry that would put butts in the seats..the ZIPS should only improve the next 3 years...the confidence this program should get should carry over for a while...

You know, I don't think I realized how divided NE Ohio is w/r to college BB until recently. Call me blind, but the ABJ did a hell of a job playing up the Zips this week while you wouldn't even know Akron was in the Tourney by reading the PD. I'm really beginning to think that the people in Cleveland are out to squash anything good in Akron. The CSU fans hate us because we are a threat to their local BB superiority (I would love to play them to settle that score). The OSU fans I think are starting to get bitter with all these NE Ohio teams going to the Tourney every year (Can't State, UA, CSU). I think this "bias" will be something that puts a damper on drastic increases in attendance next year. In terms of fans, I would expect a small jump in attendance next season at the beginning of the year. If I remember correctly, football season tickets spiked the year after we won the MAC, I'm thinking BB will be the same way. I also agree that as this team continues to improve, we need to schedule tougher. Bottom line is that KD seems to have a knack for building this program and that is what we need to do to put more butts in the seats.

WAYYYYYYY BACK IN THE LATERZA ERA, I COULD NOT FIGURE WHY THE STANDS WERE NOT PACKED EVERY GAME; I DECIDED I WAS ONLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ME, AND I WAS THERE. I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT, BUT STILL AM ONLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ME. :D
That's another thing. KD isn't half as colorful as Tony. I remember an Akron City cop telling me about the time he pulled Tony over driving on High Street late one night (or early one morning). The cop took a look at Tony's companion and asked Tony if he knew the name of the person sitting next to him. Tony replied, "Sure, that's Linda." The cop recognized the individual from previous brushes with the law and said, "No, Tony that's Frank."
:blink: i went to the games at memorial hall from around '68 on...when Wyatt Webb was there and the Zips were a real force in the 'college' division memorable hall was PACKED...when they played Kentucky Weslayan,Philadelphia Textile,Gannon,Evansville etc etc...that was a pit...no team wanted to play there...

:blink: i went to the games at memorial hall from around '68 on...when Wyatt Webb was there and the Zips were a real force in the 'college' division memorable hall was PACKED...when they played Kentucky Weslayan,Philadelphia Textile,Gannon,Evansville etc etc...that was a pit...no team wanted to play there...
Ah...I remember that time well. The crowds were something. Seemed like the place was packed for every game. Then the black students decided to protest how unfair things were and sat in mass in the bleachers under the American flag and refused to stand for the national anthem.. Made everybody real uncomfortable, the crowds dwindled and I don't think ever really recovered.

this is my 834th post.and i still can't find the spacebar.oh no.
:lol: The weirdest part is that racer always seems to make good points despite the horrid typing. Racer, are you just lazy, or is the space bar key missing on your keyboard? I swear I'll send you a new keyboard in the mail. I can't take much more of that stuff.

He has a space between his words so we know that one works. The Shift key is another issue though. Just be glad for the periods at the end of the sentences. I think RACER is his own man with his own style, no matter what others say. And maybe he also likes pulling our chain :lol:

I think Racer is just a huge e e cummings fan. :) I think he posts some good stuff too, but sometimes if it's too long I'll skip it because it is hard to read. I'd suggest anyone who doesn't like his style doesn't have to read it. I'm betting his feelings won't be hurt.

I think Racer is just a huge e e cummings fan. :)
there are so many tictocclocks everywhere telling peoplewhat toctic time it is fortictic instance five toc minutes tocpast six ticSpring is not regulated and doesnot get out of order nor doits hands a little jerking moveover numbers slowlywe do notwind it up it has no weightssprings wheels inside ofits slender self no indeed dearnothing of the kind.(So,when kiss Spring comeswe'll kiss each kiss other on kiss the kisslips because tic clocks toc don't makea toctic differenceto kisskiss you and tokiss me)
I see what you mean.