Basketball Golf Outing

The 2009 Zips Basketball Golf Outing was held at Silver Lake Country Club yesterday. As always, it was a great event. Here are my 45-minutes quick notes:* My team cruised it's way to a 3-under 69. Only 10 strokes off the lead! ;) Beautiful day for golf...sunny and 70 degrees.* Cost was $150. For that you got 18-holes and a cart at a private country club, nice golf shirt, door prize (I got a $25.00 gift certificate to a local restaurant), lunch and the chance to ask the Coach whatever you wanted. That's a pretty good deal in my book.* On the new arena -- It is projected to be across the street from Canal Park. With the money that the University has sunk into the football stadium, it needs the partnership of the city to finance the project. On-campus is just not feasible. That said, that corner of Main and Exchange is essentially on-campus anyhow...it isn't like it is in Ellet. The arena will likely seat in the area of 8,500 fans. 10k maximum. No one wants it any larger since it would simply be unnecessary. There will likely be a minor league hockey team opening up the arena with the Zips.It was stressed that getting the arena off the ground quickly is a major priority. The way I understand it, an arena should be completed within the next four years. The feeling within the Zips program is there's a finite window of opportunity to take the program to "the next level." If we want to compete with the Dayton's and Xavier's of the college basketball world...really compete with them with top-to-bottom "equivalent" student-athletes and not just gritty/scrappy performances...we need the new arena. And quickly. If we don't get it we'll still be good, but our ceiling will always be limited. That's the reality of the situation.* Brett McKnight has a back problem. He will play with it for his final two seasons @ UA, but he'll need to get an operation once his college career comes to a close.* Humpty re-injured the same ankle he hurt in the spring. It is bugging him. Seems like it will linger into the early season. KD felt the team has the PG depth to overcome it (until Humpty's 100%), but certainly it is a concern.* Darryl Roberts was happy to get his scholarship. It was inferred that the team expects more out of Darryl this year. Not because he's on scholarship, but because he's perhaps not been as dedicated as he can be to basketball. I read a little between the lines on that observation, so if someone heard the comments differently than me, feel free to correct me.* It was mentioned that an Akron/CSU game would be the talk of the town in north east Ohio. Dambrot stated the ball in in Gary Waters court to sign the contract. If I'm Tom Winstrcill, one of the first things I do is get on the phone to CSU and find a way to make that game/series happen. The fans demand it, and it is silly that the teams don't play. * It was mentioned that Wisconsin is a team that might come to NE Ohio to play the Zips because they want to focus on recruiting this area. The Zips/Badgers meeting would be at The Q, not the JAR however. Look for it in 2010-11.* KD continued to beat the drum for better marketing of his team in order to fill the JAR. He cited the 4,700 that came out on Credit Union night to see a 4-22 CMU team as a prime example of what marketing to corporations can do. * KD cited the paltry 4k (estimated) in attendance for the Top-20 ranked Nevada game as an example that bringing upper-echelon teams to the JAR is not going to fill the place. I disagree with him on this topic...and probably always will. The Nevada game was held over Christmas break...the Zips were not all that heralded a team coming into the game (no NCAA appearances, no MAC championships)...and Nevada, ranked #12 in the nation, doesn't excite local fans like say an Indiana, ranked #93, would. To make that game a poster child for what's not possible is a mistake. Play Nevada at home this year, same conditions (Nevada #12), and it is a sell out. The Zips needed to take that NCAA berth and MAC Championship step to take attendance to the next level.* No one asked any questions about Zeke. I thought that was odd.* Cventinovic has really improved his conditioning in the off season. Look for him to break out in 2009-10.* Assistant coach Terry Weigand's son Trevor, who is battling cancer, is doing well. He's undergone quite a bit of chemotherapy, and it will continue, but cautious optimism abounds for him. That was great to hear.* KD implored the luncheon attendees to get out and support the National Championship-caliber soccer program. As a coach, it seems very important to him to see real proof that the community will support a winner. If the general public gives lackluster support to such a high-level program...well...it doesn't reflect well upon the local fan base. UA can't afford to lose Caleb. And keeping a...maybe THE...top level coach in the country happy should be within UA's budget. You can't keep Urban Meyer in the MAC, but you can keep Caleb Porter. That will be a big key to Tom Winstrcill's administration's success.* KD said he has only spoken to the new AD once. He looks forward to a long chat with Tom once he gets on campus permanently September 9th. He like the guy's energy and marketing background. He also went out of his way to praise Hunter, stating "This new AD must really be great if he beat out Hunter." The hope is that Hunter will stay at UA in some capacity, but a lot of time remains before that decision is made.ZipWatcher, ZipsWin and several other board members were present. If they have other information-of-interest to offer, please add it below. :wave:

It's exciting that there is real talk of an arena getting built. I have to assume that it will go where the Mayflower is currently. That would make that quarter of downtown fairly solidly on-campus, surrounded on two sides by the Polsky building and parking deck.Wisconsin coming to the Q would be OK, but it would have to be marketed heavily. Maybe if we would make it a double-header with CSU or Can't playing some other high-profile team either before or afterwards, especially Can't because then we could show up and heckle them for 40 minutes which would make the trip that much better.

It was stressed that getting the arena off the ground quickly is a major priority. The way I understand it, it should be completed within...
?Looks like you lost the train of thought there. Within 5 years, 10? Sooner?Is it possible that the arena location was already mentioned to OBC? I've heard rumors they are moving into the the Kaiser building and from what I've seen the arena could be built next door to that.I wanted news on how Zeke is doing, how he is adjusting to classes, if they had to custom fit his dorm door... :D

It was stressed that getting the arena off the ground quickly is a major priority. The way I understand it, it should be completed within...
?Looks like you lost the train of thought there. Within 5 years, 10? Sooner?Is it possible that the arena location was already mentioned to OBC? I've heard rumors they are moving into the the Kaiser building and from what I've seen the arena could be built next door to that.I wanted news on how Zeke is doing, how he is adjusting to classes, if they had to custom fit his dorm door... :D
Corrected. 4 years. :wave:

* KD implored the luncheon attendees to get out and support the National Championship-caliber soccer program. As a coach, it seems very important to him to see real proof that the community will support a winner. If the general public gives lackluster support to such a high-level program...well...it doesn't reflect well upon the local fan base. UA can't afford to lose Caleb. And keeping a...maybe THE...top level coach in the country happy should be within UA's budget. You can't keep Urban Meyer in the MAC, but you can keep Caleb Porter. That will be a big key to Tom Winstrcill's administration's success.
It's great to hear of KD's support for Caleb and UA futbol. He realizes how significant it is to have a national contender in such an up-and-coming sport. And knowing what an altruistic individual Keith is, I'm certain there will be no jealousy when the soccer coach makes more $$ than the basketball coach, if that's required to maintain the top level of UA soccer.HOWEVER, ending the tongue-in-cheek aspect of this post, as in basketball, eventually there is no way UA can compete with the big powers financially. I don't know that Caleb would leave for an ACC job (about the only schools that could pay significantly more), but I really do think the true competition, once we get one or more College Cups to show off in the JAR, is an MLS HC job in one of the upcoming expansion cities, especially St Louis, that being Caleb's home state. That may be the one reason why we should employ patience in our expectations. The sooner the titles start rolling in, the more will be the pull of the Big Time. And, IMHO -- seeing Caleb move on from Akron to the highest level of the sport would be a huge achievement, and would likely ensure that we would remain a national power. Pardon my dragging futbol into the BB board. ;)

* On the new arena -- It is projected to be across the street from Canal Park. With the money that the University has sunk into the football stadium, it needs the partnership of the city to finance the project. On-campus is just not feasible. That said, that corner of Main and Exchange is essentially on-campus anyhow...it isn't like it is in Ellet.
OMG, Wait till Jake sees this thread! :blink: :rolleyes:

* On the new arena -- It is projected to be across the street from Canal Park. With the money that the University has sunk into the football stadium, it needs the partnership of the city to finance the project. On-campus is just not feasible. That said, that corner of Main and Exchange is essentially on-campus anyhow...it isn't like it is in Ellet.
OMG, Wait till Jake sees this thread! :blink: :rolleyes:
Yeah I thought about that too, but I didn't want to invoke his spirit. :lol::lol:

I stand corrected... I remember saying it would be at least 5 more years before we had a new arena. Apparently the ball has been rolling further and faster than I, or many of us, knew. Is it possible we may be getting new basketball and soccer facilities at nearly the same time??Interesting to hear nothing was asked of Zeke... but at the same time I guess that is a good thing since that probably means that people aren't expecting him to be a superstar player right out of the gates. Speaking of which... saw Zeke today in Polsky. If youve never seen him in person, he really is as tall as you think he is

Just a quick note to add onto CK's excellent post:- Disappointed to report a 68. 5 under on the front, 1 over on the back. Greens were brutal for me. Brutal in that they were like putting on glass. Not used to that at all. I was pretty much an anchor on my team's hopes the entire afternoon.- Nice event .. nice course, good way to spend a day. Was nice to hear how things were going, and chat up the coaches for a little bit. Thanks go out to all of them for humoring this hoops addicted Zips fan and his endless questions.- Staff seems pretty upbeat on the team. Sounds like the summer conditioning and individual workouts went well, and everyone's starting the semester ready to go mentally. The recurrence of Humpty's injury is cause for concern, but it's September 1 and they sound hopeful it will be resolved in time. Back injuries suck and I feel for B McK .. we saw what that did to Andy .. let's hope this is something different.- Anyone who has ever sat at a Zips game, Toledo or otherwise, and questioned KD's passion, drive and motivation to have the Zips succeed needed to be at the discussion yesterday after the morning golfers had lunch. I was ready to go out and peddle GA seats on Public Square in CLE when I left. He believes that the Zips can accomplish a lot .. and I believe that too. They've got to be good, dedicated, committed .. and lucky .. but the opportunity is there. The fans have a role as well.- I'm extremely confident in our staff going forward. Great to have the stability that KD has enjoyed. I didn't meet Peters, but spoke with the others .. and they're hoops knowledge and willingness to discuss is pretty cool. Great guys all.- Nothing is ever all roses and brandy .. but I'm hearing that things went well this summer and the guys are ready to go, building on what was accomplished last year. Staff seems to have big expectations for Nikola and the other young guys, now that they have a full year in the system, and an off-season conditioning run. Pure speculation on my part here: what if Nikola had the type of conditioning season this summer that Brett McKnight had last summer? Could be scary.Golden Era Zips Fans!! B) B) B) B) B) Go Zips!

Corrected. 4 years. :wave:
I was waiting to hear the response to the question of the number of years as well.Captain...thanks for sharing all of this with us. It's almost like a transcript of the proceedings. You were either taking notes, or have one heck of a memory.1) I'll remain very surprised if this new arena happens anywhere near that quickly. I'm thinking more like 10 years, at best. And most of the people I talk with seem as if they don't believe, when it comes right down to it, that the city can possibly justify their portion of the expense. And certainly not with some sort of low-level pro hockey team. I'd have to agree with that. Even though, I'd love to see it happen tomorrow. 2) Ahh...the Nevada basketball game. I wasn't there. I was leaving town very, very early the following morning to travel to see family for the holidays. I was stunned at the low attendance at the time. But, upon further thought, I later attributed the lower attendance to Nevada, although highly ranked, was not being recognized by many as a big-time program making a visit to Akron. Wisconsin at the Q would be an interesting. It will remind me of our game against highly-ranked Pitt in 1987 at the Coliseum, which drew a "decent" crowd. How would a Wisconsin game draw in comparison? If it does happen a couple of years for now, it would be a good barometer of where we might be in terms of fan support.

Outstanding report, CK! Many thanks for all the good info on many different BB issues.Among the key points to me include the continuing growth of Nikola. Based on his improved performance from beginning to end of his freshman season, I don't think anyone really knows how far he can go. We all know he has a passion for the game. If he channels that passion into physical conditioning and working on the finer points of the game, he could be a monster. I'd sure like to see him have the stamina to play with intensity for long minutes.On the negative side, Hitchens' lingering injury is all too reminiscent of Steward's injury-plagued early years with the Zips. This is why it's important to have a deep bench. Hopefully, Steward will start the season healthy and remain that way, and Roberts will be even more motivated by the scholarship. Obviously the other big negative is B McKnight's back. It's scary to think that he will play with it for the next two years, and wait until he graduates for the operation. It suggests at least the possibility that corrective surgery might not be guaranteed to immediately make him a better player. Whatever it is, I truly hope only the best for him and his future health.Finally, on the issue of the new arena, the fact that UA can't finance it on its own after investing so much in the football stadium is not surprising. Hopefully, both the city and county will find a way to make a strong economic case for contributing sooner rather than later. Main and Exchange may not be the ideal location, but it's OK with me -- certainly better than waiting for UA to pay off the football stadium and be able to go it alone. For those who can accept nothing short of perfection, life is tough.Can't wait to see the 2009-10 Zips play anywhere!

HELLO ZIPFAMILY :wave::wave::wave: I know..I know...where have I been. Ive been laying low and watching how Zeke is adjusting to everything..WELL...he is doing ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!!!!!! His roommate is CJ (he is a walk-on) whose dad coaches professionally in Korea. Zeke is "ADJUSTING" to college life. I think having those 5 weeks in the summer really helped alot. I just spoke with him and he is doing well you all. But I want to thank EVERY student and person on here who have not bombarded him and invaded his space (if I can say that)..thank you for giving him his space and allowing him to have that time of adjustment and transition..without everyone getting all in his face. THANK U VERY MUCH!! NOW...Zeke is working VERY VERY VERY HARD..believe me!! He ran the mile in 6 mins flat..YEAH!! He gained 15 pounds over the summer (within 5 weeks and was lifting 155 8x) so imagine what is about to happen now that he is working out and lifting on a DAILY BASIS... and Coach D has had the opportunity to work him out individually...and things are coming along very well. Zeke realizes that he has a lot of work to do and that there is a lot of responsibility that will be placed on him....is he ready...he's getting there. So, for those who were curious as to why noone asked about him...THANK GOD!! Yeah, keep him on the DL and let him put his time in..without the "spotlight" on him for now and watch what is about to happen...YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!! :lol: See you all real soon. HEY...ARE THE JERSEY'S AVAILABLE YET??? You know I've got to PIMP MY JERSEY!!! PSS: AKROWDIES...how can I get a seat right behind the bench..or on that side???? HELP ME OUT SOMEONE!! SMILE:)

Zeke seems like a guy who is at his best when he's under the radar, which is probably difficult to achieve when you're a foot taller than anyone around you.
Let's hope this is not the case. I'm hoping he is at his best when he is on radar because he is about to be on every radar of every team the Zips play.