Who Should be The QB

Dr Z

Who Should QB the Zips  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Keep Nicely's redshirt if at all possible.
Not that we can know right now, but what if Nicely gives us a better chance to win the MAC than Rodgers does, why redshirt him? What are we waiting for? He is JD's recruit, doesn't JD NEED to win now? I do like having Walt Harris with us to help this evaluation.

Now, you all know how much I back Jacq (I think he is a better game manager, that's what we needed) however at this point, until I know Jacq is even an option, I say don't burn the Redshirt on Nicely.Rodgers had some moments, the lack of any kind of run game hurt. The couple times we moved the ball, we had very solid runs that set up some decent passes. Heck he was 7-8 for 96 yards and a touchdown in the first half.He fell apart in the second half because he started trying to force things to happen instead of letting them happen. I think if he knows he has the reigns and knows he has something to fall back on (Burney, Allen, and Torrence being able to run a little bit) he will be less likely to force things. Now barring an injury, he can hopefully play the rest of the season and win us 6 games. But we will see.(Again, Rodgers because I don't know if Jacq will ever play again, if he only skipped a class or meeting, I say Jacq plays next week, but unlike the last suspension, I didn't even see Jacq on the sideline)

Jaq is gone or should be gone, so let Rodgers run the team. MOst of us have been asking for this for a year, so let's see what the kid can do. It makes no sense though to keep the qb carousel spinning. The same holds true for JD. At thisd moment, things are looking bleak for him. However, I would keep as the coach until the end of the season.

I'm not ready to count Rodgers out just yet. I don't think we can necessarily give him a fair evaluation after last weekend. I predict that he'll have an ok performance this weekend at Central, but then he's got two weeks to take some serious snaps at practice. I look for him to be a completely different QB by the time we see him again at the Info.

I am waiting to vote until after the CMU game. I want to see the other 10 guys on offense vs a MAC team. If the oline cannot block any better vs the conference it will not matter who is a QB. Also if no skill players other than Bowser step up it will not matter who the QB is. I counted 4 times a WR or RB was one on one with a IU defender and they were tackled without advancing the ball past the defender. On the ohter hand when IU was in a third down situation their players got past the Zips defenders for the first down.

I give Rogers a pass. First game and he got his bell rungI am sure if you have those flowery memmories of Jac, they could easily be tarnished by watching another of his poor performances again.Rogers has definately got skills. We all saw them in the preseason and glimspes here and there. I hope he comes around and gets it done in-conference.

Rogers gets a full week to prepare for CMU and then 2 full weeks to prepare for the remainder of the season. I say we ride him...unless Nicely is better.If Nicely is better, he should play. Since JD needs to keep his job, I assume he will play the QB that gives him the best chance to win. He'd be a fool not to.Neither QB will be successful if we don't get better o-line play and improved play-calling. Putting our QB in 2nd-and-9 situations every series will be the death of any QB. If JD's play-calling doesn't start getting us in a position to move the chains, if he keeps running up the middle on 1st down, Nicely will be as ineffective as Rogers was on Saturday.Jacquemain is done. D-O-N-E done.

I start Rodgers, if he has no pocket presence like he did Saturday (I thought HE made our OL look bad at times by moving in the pocket when he shouldn't have) and he shows a weak arm over the middle (embarising), AND we have a chance to win the game, I bring in Nicely. Nicely should get a lot of practice snaps this week. Rodgers is a change of pace guy to me, not a starting QB, he will have to win me over with improved play. I can judge that at home against Indiana, because Indiana is no more than an upper MAC talent to me. I don't need to see Rodgers play in a MAC game. I don't buy this "he was not ready to play" He was going to play just like he did in the two previous games. The play calling needs adjusted to Matt's ability, and we need to cut the playbook in half for him to be more successful.

Neither QB will be successful if we don't get better o-line play and improved play-calling. Putting our QB in 2nd-and-9 situations every series will be the death of any QB. If JD's play-calling doesn't start getting us in a position to move the chains, if he keeps running up the middle on 1st down, Nicely will be as ineffective as Rogers was on Saturday.Jacquemain is done. D-O-N-E done.
CK, I'm glad to know that you can see the real problem with the offense. The O-line play is horrible. Until we can run the ball and have some succes at the line of scrimage, it doesn't matter who the QB is.

Rogers forced way too many balls into heavy coverage. I hope it was just first game jitters, but I do not have a very good feel for his decision making skills. I keep hearing that Nicely is such a highly recruited prospect. If that is the case, play him now!! Don't risk losing just to save his redshirt. I don't know what Jacquemain did, but it sounds as if it was something bad. I say, cut ties with him and move on. It is sad to say that because he gives us the best chance to win, but if he is a cancer, get rid of him.

Carlton Jackson DOH!!!
After his game winning TD in OT against Winston-Salem this weekend? ;) I suspect the issues with Jacq might take some time to be worked out, so I'm excluding him from consideration.I certainly want to give Rodgers more than one game, particularly against an opponent that toyed with the Zips in the trenches. But I've heard that Matt's shoulder has been bothering him some for a little while now (well before the IU game). I think the coaches have already decided to play Nicely if Matt gets knocked out of a game.After weighing it all, I'll vote for Rodgers but I would let Nicely know that he's in come injury or continued poor play.

Not that we can know right now, but what if Nicely gives us a better chance to win the MAC than Rodgers does, why redshirt him? What are we waiting for? He is JD's recruit, doesn't JD NEED to win now? I do like having Walt Harris with us to help this evaluation.
I agree, all this talk of redshirt is stupid. Just look at CJ11 and Rodgers, they are both undersized compared to Nicely and neither have the talent that's for sure. The intangibles are a different story but i say lets find out, if you still think Rodgers has any chance at winning us the MAC then you are insane. It's not just the last game that shows you that, it's any game he's been in, he doesnt have "it" and he looks lost out there.I WANT TO WIN AND I WANT TO WIN NOW

I WANT TO WIN AND I WANT TO WIN NOW
I agree. Sports are one of the few things in life when you can really live in the moment. People aren't buying tickets to watch UofA win next year or the continual "building" we have to watch. Sports are about the moment. The moment to win is now.

I'm basing this on assumption, but Jacq screwed the team over. Until I hear otherwise that's what he did. He made things hard on the entire offense, missing a chance for what could have been a huge victory for the program, all because of his selfish actions. I don't want a player like that on the team, and I doubt many of his teamates do as well.Rogers needs to step it up, he's our guy for a few more weeks (at the least). He deserves a true start now to make up for last week.If all else fails, I'm fine with giving nicely a shot.

I'm basing this on assumption, but Jacq screwed the team over. Until I hear otherwise that's what he did. He made things hard on the entire offense, missing a chance for what could have been a huge victory for the program, all because of his selfish actions. I don't want a player like that on the team, and I doubt many of his teamates do as well.Rogers needs to step it up, he's our guy for a few more weeks (at the least). He deserves a true start now to make up for last week.If all else fails, I'm fine with giving nicely a shot.
True. So the least we can do is start spelling his name correctly. It's RODGERS....just like it's written in the poll question.

True. So the least we can do is start spelling his name correctly. It's RODGERS....just like it's written in the poll question.
I read off the other posts, my apologies. Are you Matt's mommy?

I read off the other posts, my apologies. Are you Matt's mommy?
Well, not really. I'm just a guy with a last name that gets butchered over and over again. So I thought I'd back Matt on this one. Besides the image of a Mr. Rogers playing QB doesn't exactly strike fear into me. Know what I mean?

I totally agree, we need to win and if Nicely gives us the better chance we play him. I think he definately gives us a better chance what with his size and athletic ability. The Coaches need to address the situation and make a decision or the season will be very unbearable. Go Zips!!

I think we should give each QB one full game to have a great performance. If they don't, ditch 'em and go to the next one. When we run out of QBs, start converting other players to QBs and give them each one full game to prove themselves. Then, off with their heads. And if they all fail, then we'll have to face the fact that the QB represents 1 of 11 offensive players on the field. Even the best QB is not likely to have a great performance without at least decent performances from the other 10 positions, and a good game plan for them all to execute.But seriously, folks, Rodgers or any other QB deserves more than one full game to prove themselves. He was part of the problem in his first start, but far from the whole problem.