The Student Section is Too Limited

zipseuph

Look at football or soccer games. There are still cliques or just groups of friends standing together. The groups just happen to be next to each other instead of seperated by seats. If you're feeling isolated at basketball games it won't be any different in any other sporting event because people tend to socialize almost exclusively within their circle of friends.
yeah but when one "clique" takes up half of the student section, it's a little different. don't kill the messenger! ;)also, look at football soccer games, all the students are in the student section.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't kill me, this is just my honest opinion. Like other posters have pointed out, the Rowdies have turned into a semi-sorta clique. There's like the 15 or 20 "regulars" that sit on the North side at the JAR and attend everything. Which is a great thing, but people don't want to be associated with them. Some think they get too "rowdy" some think they're too cool for the Rowdies. I'm not saying get rid of the Rowdies, but let all the students sit down there! when it gets full every game, instead of 3 games a year, then get exclusive. I used to sit down there every game, but none of my friends want to anymore, so I don't. There are hundreds, thousands? of kids like me that go to the games, but don't sit with the Rowdies. Make it a student section, not a Rowdie section. Make it the cool thing to do. It would be tough, but it would work really well if we could get all the students to sit in one section. Open a few reserved sections up? Make one GA above the basket students only? Just some suggestions, but we have one of the worst setups for student seating in the country.
I've said it before, I think there should be enforced student seating in the general admission areas behind the baskets (or an even better section would be great). I used to be one of those students who was scattered throughout the JAR. Should it have stopped me from cheering..no..but it did. I think the rowdies just need to hook fellow students, whether rowdies or not and get them involved in the game. If they all sit together they'll realize how its done...it's ok to be an Akron fan! I don't think some student are quite there yet. ...or just build a grass berm for everyone, that works too

Don't kill me, this is just my honest opinion. Like other posters have pointed out, the Rowdies have turned into a semi-sorta clique. There's like the 15 or 20 "regulars" that sit on the North side at the JAR and attend everything. Which is a great thing, but people don't want to be associated with them. Some think they get too "rowdy" some think they're too cool for the Rowdies. I'm not saying get rid of the Rowdies, but let all the students sit down there! when it gets full every game, instead of 3 games a year, then get exclusive. I used to sit down there every game, but none of my friends want to anymore, so I don't. There are hundreds, thousands? of kids like me that go to the games, but don't sit with the Rowdies. Make it a student section, not a Rowdie section. Make it the cool thing to do. It would be tough, but it would work really well if we could get all the students to sit in one section. Open a few reserved sections up? Make one GA above the basket students only? Just some suggestions, but we have one of the worst setups for student seating in the country.
I've said it before, I think there should be enforced student seating in the general admission areas behind the baskets (or an even better section would be great). I used to be one of those students who was scattered throughout the JAR. Should it have stopped me from cheering..no..but it did. I think the rowdies just need to hook fellow students, whether rowdies or not and get them involved in the game. If they all sit together they'll realize how its done...it's ok to be an Akron fan! I don't think some student are quite there yet. ...or just build a grass berm for everyone, that works too
open up two of the reserved sections, hell they never fill anyway. make it students only/no students anywhere else, and they'd be full. it would get loud, exciting, a fun place to watch a game.

The problem is the exclusiveness of the area. The ushers are like nazis looking for bands to get in. Check IDs, let all students in, and once it's packed every game, discuss expansion and selectivity
If there is room in those sections ANY student can get a wristband. It's been stated very clearly now. You're right though the ushers at the JAR are more strict and watchful than the ushers for the box seats at yankee stadium.

I think you mean the south side.The North side is like 10 rowdies, 30 regular students, and a few recruits usually.

I think you mean the south side.The North side is like 10 rowdies, 30 regular students, and a few recruits usually.
Not to mention a couple NBA scouts on occasion.

Jackie Moon is a promoter, not a scout. ;)

Ever walk around campus on a basketball gameday? The only clue that there's an actual game is the sign next to the JAR. 90% of the students don't even go near that area so they never see it. I would also hazard a guess that 70% of the students still think that they have to pay to get into the game.The athletic department could send out a mass e-mail on the day of the games. It's not expensive and it doesn't take up a lot of time to write if you develop a template to follow. It could also pound it into the students' heads that they can attend for FREE a Division I sporting event.

Ever walk around campus on a basketball gameday? The only clue that there's an actual game is the sign next to the JAR. 90% of the students don't even go near that area so they never see it. I would also hazard a guess that 70% of the students still think that they have to pay to get into the game.The athletic department could send out a mass e-mail on the day of the games. It's not expensive and it doesn't take up a lot of time to write if you develop a template to follow. It could also pound it into the students' heads that they can attend for FREE a Division I sporting event.
That's definitely another huge reason why more students don't attend. A lot of kids I talk to have no idea what day the game is on, and if it wasn't for the Facebook events, most of them probably wouldn't even know that the game is this week.

Why not try something that is gaining more ane more popularity with businesses and governments around the world....a notion called the nudge. For those unfamiliar with the notion of the nudge the idea is to make people opt out instead of making people opt in. To make someone opt in requires much more than to make people opt out. I know some people will find this wrong and not agree, but what if you put a check box on your registration or tuition each semester or year that said if you do not want to be part of the Ak-Rowdies (with maybe a brief description) check this box...you will be charged $10 for membership if you do not check this box or something to that effect. Everyone who then signs up should receive some sort of welcome letter there Ak-Rowdies t-shirt, be on a mailing/e-mailing list and be targeted for athletic attendance. Act like this is just what we do at Akron you are this when you go to school here. The freshman won't know better and you will begin creating what you are seaking. Send them tickets in the mail -- not guaranteeing them seats, but a ticket to get in until things are full. Send them magnetic schedules or something. Keep in contact with them get sponsors to supplement the fee and use all the money to supply them with information and paraphenelia. There are many business examples of this type of strategy working....one of my favorites (agree or disagree) is the country of Austria who makes people opt out of organ donation. They have a 99% poplution of participation in organ donation. As a transplant recipient this obviously has a special place for me and it may seem extreme, but it is obvious it works when you look at countries like the US and Germnay that make you opt in where there participation rate is 12%.

There were a few last home game for real. I asked the guy. Detroit Pistons he said. Anyways, if you are uncomfortable over there come sit with us on the North side. We are where the party's at anyways :rock:

I play with this kid at the rec center every day that's in my sociology class, and i asked him if he's going to the game tommorow, and he said "there's a game tommorow? for what?" :mad_flame: That proves it right there...do i need to say more about the relationship between marketing department and the students?

I play with this kid at the rec center every day that's in my sociology class, and i asked him if he's going to the game tommorow, and he said "there's a game tommorow? for what?" :mad_flame: That proves it right there...do i need to say more about the relationship between marketing department and the students?
Yep, people can blame the Rowdies all they want for things but if it weren't for the Rowdies who knows if any students would come but the few diehards.Fact is, Akron SUCKS at marketing to their students and whoever is supposed to be doing it should be fired.

Brilliant post...hope the powers that be are reading this forum.

Why not try something that is gaining more ane more popularity with businesses and governments around the world....a notion called the nudge. For those unfamiliar with the notion of the nudge the idea is to make people opt out instead of making people opt in. To make someone opt in requires much more than to make people opt out. I know some people will find this wrong and not agree, but what if you put a check box on your registration or tuition each semester or year that said if you do not want to be part of the Ak-Rowdies (with maybe a brief description) check this box...you will be charged $10 for membership if you do not check this box or something to that effect. Everyone who then signs up should receive some sort of welcome letter there Ak-Rowdies t-shirt, be on a mailing/e-mailing list and be targeted for athletic attendance. Act like this is just what we do at Akron you are this when you go to school here. The freshman won't know better and you will begin creating what you are seaking. Send them tickets in the mail -- not guaranteeing them seats, but a ticket to get in until things are full. Send them magnetic schedules or something. Keep in contact with them get sponsors to supplement the fee and use all the money to supply them with information and paraphenelia. There are many business examples of this type of strategy working....one of my favorites (agree or disagree) is the country of Austria who makes people opt out of organ donation. They have a 99% poplution of participation in organ donation. As a transplant recipient this obviously has a special place for me and it may seem extreme, but it is obvious it works when you look at countries like the US and Germnay that make you opt in where there participation rate is 12%.

That is an excellent idea. You are almost guaranteed to get a good chunk of people who look past the "opt-out" and will get signed up by default. This helps spread the word to more people, and in turn gets the students feeling like the game-day attendance and atmosphere is what we do here. It should be noted, however, that mass Emails do not cut it, AT ALL. I work in the webteam department and we are partially responsible for sending out the ZipMail weekly updates. I can tell you that the vast majority of students don't check their UA email account very often, if at all. The only way to market the sports events to the majority of students is signs, banners, flyers, mailings sent to the mailboxes of all on-campus students, and signs put up on the doors of every dorm room. The athletic department NEEDS to work with ResLife to market to the student population that lives in university dorms. Maybe even run some deals where the on-campus students have to go to X amount of games to get a free meal at Rob's or something? They desperately need to market to the students that are here during the basketball season and use incentives to get things started. As long as the students who already go are welcoming of the newcomers and build an electric atmosphere, they'll keep coming back.

I don't know about Big Zips idea. I like it in principle, but I think it has a high potential to backfire with some negative publicity. The University started a similar program with parking permits 2 years back (only you really couldn't opt out) and there was quite a bit of outrage about it. Ultimately that has calmed down largely due to the fact that parking is a necessity for the vast majority of students, but when you are talking about a non-essential service like attending sporting events, and you start force feeding more fees (even just a $10 one) down students throats I think you have a high potential for backlash. I think probably a better idea would be to start getting the RA's at each of the dorm buildings more involved. When I was living on campus (and this was just a couple years ago mind you), there was hardly any involvement at all with the resident halls and the athletic department. I guarantee you if you set it up so that each home game was a particular resident halls designated "home game" (for instance the home game against BG could be the "Honors Dorm Game" or the one against Ohio could be the "Spanton Hall Game") and offer free pizza and tee-shirts and really promote that game throughout that particular residence hall in the week or two leading up to it you would probably see a nice increase in attendance. Work it early enough and show the students a good enough time and you will also probably get a lot of them back later in the season. Just my $.02.

Best idea on this board since the Great GP1 posted on how to reform college football.

I like the idea, but I don't think it can be done. The AK-Rowdies are just a student organization, and doing this puts them on a pedestal compared to the other student orgs. There's already some animosity between the Rowdies and various other groups thanks to perceived favoritism and doing this plan would set off a major sh!tstorm. You would get people asking why the Student Samurai club or the Geology club can't do the same.A large percentage of the Rowdies' recruiting efforts are already focused on incoming students. They're at Orientation showing videos. The only thing they could possible do more is to seek out members of organized high school cheering sections and get them involved before graduation since they are the people most likely to join.

The wristband nazi's are at it again. Just got a facebook message that I have to wear THIS YEAR's rowdie shirt (blue) to sit down low, for the white-out. Little things like this is what make us second class.
It's to prevent any Can't students from getting down there.