Can't say anything bad about Dambrot?

Roo

Delete topics because I bring up a valid point? Dambrot isnt a saint. He choked again, blows another MAC tourney title, and inflates it all with his weak and soft OOC schedules.Sad.....Or are we not allowed to say anything bad about Dambrot and just blame it on the refs?

I want to be mad about this game. I want to rant about the schedule. I want to complain about the poor footspeed of our guards. I want to scream about some of the late game sets we ran. I just can't. That team left it all out on the floor tonight. Chris and Jimmy, can't complain at all about those guys. They played their hearts out. McNees, didn't make every play, but when we needed one he was coming up with them. He can only do so much. Roberts was HUGE for us down the stretch in regulation. Zeke had a rough day on the defensive end, but got some big rebounds and his touch is getting better and better. I just can't complain about any of it right now. We got beat because our guards couldn't stay in front of Bassett and Cooper. We all know our guards struggle against quicker backcourts. Humpty did a nice job with Bassett in the first half, but apparently he stiffened up at the half and couldn't go down the stretch. In the end, Ohio just made more plays than us in overtime. Are there things I would have liked to have seen done differently? Ofcourse. Am I excited about the CBI (or even the NIT)? No. I've said it all year, and I will remain consistent now. I have no interest in either of these tournaments. As long as we treat them as a great consolation prize we won't be able to take the next step. Again, I want to be mad. I just can't. I'm numb, but not mad.

I want to be mad about this game. I want to rant about the schedule. I want to complain about the poor footspeed of our guards. I want to scream about some of the late game sets we ran. I just can't. That team left it all out on the floor tonight. Chris and Jimmy, can't complain at all about those guys. They played their hearts out. McNees, didn't make every play, but when we needed one he was coming up with them. He can only do so much. Roberts was HUGE for us down the stretch in regulation. Zeke had a rough day on the defensive end, but got some big rebounds and his touch is getting better and better. I just can't complain about any of it right now. We got beat because our guards couldn't stay in front of Bassett and Cooper. We all know our guards struggle against quicker backcourts. Humpty did a nice job with Bassett in the first half, but apparently he stiffened up at the half and couldn't go down the stretch. In the end, Ohio just made more plays than us in overtime. Are there things I would have liked to have seen done differently? Ofcourse. Am I excited about the CBI (or even the NIT)? No. I've said it all year, and I will remain consistent now. I have no interest in either of these tournaments. As long as we treat them as a great consolation prize we won't be able to take the next step. Again, I want to be mad. I just can't. I'm numb, but not mad.
+1We need to stop missing the little bunnies here and there, that's something he can't control. Our FT% is way better now than it was earlier, that's something he can control (to a point). One thing I question about Dambrot is why wasn't Zeke in there at the end of regulation instead of Nik? I like Nik, but he sucked these past 2 games. Oh well, we'll get 'em next year.

+1We need to stop missing the little bunnies here and there, that's something he can't control. Our FT% is way better now than it was earlier, that's something he can control (to a point). One thing I question about Dambrot is why wasn't Zeke in there at the end of regulation instead of Nik? I like Nik, but he sucked these past 2 games. Oh well, we'll get 'em next year.
Because Zeke has been a dissapointment all year? I can't criticize coach on this one. Marshall better be MUCH better next year.

I'm with you 100%. After driving back and forth to the Q for three days, I thought I was going to be angry and depressed if the Zips lost tonight. But they played their hearts out and almost came up with yet another miracle finish.Numbness is a great description. I do feel numb. I also feel sad for the players that their season is ended after they tried so hard to make it two straight trips to the NCAA tournament. They came so darn close, and I'm so darn proud of them for never giving up. They were just outplayed tonight by the smallest of margins. A different bounce of the ball on a single possession could have produced a different result.Kudos to KD for getting his team to the MAC championship game for four straight years. How many other coaches have ever achieved that in the MAC?I'm already looking forward to next season.

Because Zeke has been a dissapointment all year? I can't criticize coach on this one. Marshall better be MUCH better next year.
Then you must've had super high expectations and never lowered 'em. He was a MAN in this tourney. Simple as that. That's all that mattered, too.

Zeke played great. He does need to learn to hold onto the ball, it gets slapped away too easily. Tiki Barber had that problem early in his Giants career, look how he turned out!I think Zeke will be throwing in 15 per game next year. It just takes time. As far as KD, he does the most with the least. He has to play the players he has, and there is not a Kool or Basset on the team. he got us to the Championship FOUR straight times. THAT is great coaching.

Hipsher - 2001-2002 - 10-21, Lost in QuarterfinalHipsher - 2002-2003 - 14-14, Lost in 1st RoundHipsher - 2003-2004 - 13-15, Lost in 1st RoundDambrot - 2004-2005 - 19-10, Lost in QuarterfinalDambrot - 2005-2006 - 23-10, Lost in Semifinal, Lost in 2nd Round of NITDambrot - 2006-2007 - 26-7, Lost in FinalDambrot - 2007-2008 - 24-11, Lost in Final, Lost in 2nd Round of NITDambrot - 2008-2009 - 23-12, Won Final, Lost in 1st Round of NCAA TournamentDambrot - 2009-2010 - 24-10, Lost in Final, Postseason = ?In six seasons, he has this to show:- Record of 139-60 (.698%)- 4 MAC Championship games- 2 NIT appearances- 1 MAC Championship- 1 NCAA Tournament BerthAnd he's done all of this with some very good players, but definitely no superstar talent. Feel free to bash Dambrot or call him a choker, but you'll just look silly IMO. He's turned this program around and will take it to another, nationally recognized level.

Man is it refreshing to see Zip fans who after a loss, aren't acting like a bunch of 4 year olds who just had their toys taken away. Kudos.
Amen. For the most part, very classy Zips fans! B)You don't go to 4 straight MACC games with a bad coach. Yes, I would like to see the schedule upgraded and don't want to see losses to Austin Peay or Eastern Michigan either. However, the program is as good as it ever has been and I believe the growth will continue under KD. This WILL be the case.Here's to a couple more wins this season... :cheers:

Man is it refreshing to see Zip fans who after a loss, aren't acting like a bunch of 4 year olds who just had their toys taken away. Kudos.
Amen. For the most part, very classy Zips fans! B)You don't go to 4 straight MACC games with a bad coach. Yes, I would like to see the schedule upgraded and don't want to see losses to Austin Peay or Eastern Michigan either. However, the program is as good as it ever has been and I believe the growth will continue under KD. This WILL be the case.Here's to a couple more wins this season... :cheers:
A tough loss always draws a few comments that take it too far or that people really don't mean.On the whole, I thought UA was well represented tonight... on the court and off.

I think Dambrot is a great coach but if I could complain about one thing from tonight I would have liked to see the zips hold on to the ball at the end of the game dish it out to the hot hand of mcneese and hope he drills it for the game winner instead of the tie to send it to over time. It was still a great season and I am happy that we have Dambrot things could be worse we could be Toledo.

I had but one problem with KD tonight, and that was his inability to draw up an adequate out of bounds play late in the game. We had not 1, not 2, but 3 opportunities to run a successful play under the hoop in that situation and failed all 3 times with one coming directly after a timeout. That, my friends, is unacceptable.

Delete topics because I bring up a valid point? Dambrot isnt a saint. He choked again, blows another MAC tourney title, and inflates it all with his weak and soft OOC schedules.Sad.....Or are we not allowed to say anything bad about Dambrot and just blame it on the refs?
The moderators have always censored topics regarding Dambrot. They hate when their beloved coach gets slammed but lets be honest, he did not coach a bad game today. Though i would have personally had Zeke in a lot more in overtime, i cant say he was outcoached. It would be nice if Zipsnation was a little better at not deleting topics that the moderators didnt agree with however. This seems to happen a lot.
Keep beating the conspiracy drum .. very little is ever deleted (though you have a knack yourself for off color topics) unless direct personal attacks occur .. or it's really not kid friendly.I say again, nothing's been deleted recently.If you'd like your membership dues refunded, just send me a .... oh wait, never mind.Go Zips!
Yeah I agree. Even though we only won 1 out of 4 MAC Championship games, I refuse to criticize the entire basketball program. Dambrot has done well with the players he has had. They are work horses and a scrappy bunch of guys. But have we ever really had a prolific scorer or a complete player on both sides with tenacity? You may have an argument for the final game if Dambrot was outcoached. It was more of who played when. I would have had my top shot blocker in Marshall in the game in overtime. I would have had Conyers on Bassett more, especially during times where he gets in the paint. This year though, in the entire season, I have never seen so many opposing players take it to the basket as easily as they have against us.

What we need is to stop playing low major teams and playing those same teams every other year. Like UNC-Greensboro, Gardner-Webb, St. Francis PA, Youngstown State, Eastern Kentucky, Binghamton or any of the consistent losing record teams. Upgrading the schedule is not so easy when better schools don't want to waste time coming here. So you have to go to the better schools and play like Miami always does. They usually schedule at least 2 games every year from BCS conference schools. They not only prepare players, but coaches as well. Helps out the RPI too.I think if we recruit more out of state or in areas where bigger conference schools recruit, we might have a better blend of players and might have a better chance of snagging players who get recruited by larger schools. David Kool is a worthy player. He was recruited by Providence, Seton Hall, and St. John's. Western Michigan recruits sometimes out of the Detroit Public Schools area and they have good basketball players that come out of there that go to big schools every year. D.J. Cooper was recruited by California, New Mexico, and Baylor. Ohio has 3 players who were at least nominated for McDonald's All-America. Just something to think about. I know for sure in the Hipsher days, 90% of the team would be players out of Ohio.

I think Dambrot is a great coach but if I could complain about one thing from tonight I would have liked to see the zips hold on to the ball at the end of the game dish it out to the hot hand of mcneese and hope he drills it for the game winner instead of the tie to send it to over time. It was still a great season and I am happy that we have Dambrot things could be worse we could be Toledo.
I don't understand why Brett McKnight started his move and penetrated with 15 seconds at the end of regulation. Why didn't we hold on till the end, I would have never wanted to give Ohio the ball back. Being down 66-65 with 15 seconds, you have no choice but to take it to the buzzer and get the best shot. What was the communication on that one? I would have had Marshall in there, my top shot blocker for most of overtime. Either way, we are having good seasons with good basketball players, but Akron needs to step it up with the talent again.

it was a great effort by our guys. the only thing I can complain about is that dunk at the end with time running out. have some class guy (not sure who it was) you just won the championship there is no need to run up the score and dunk the ball just to show off.if I had to blame this lose on anyone today it would be the moderators of zipsnation. I mean the way they have deleted things on here is a shame and I am going to take out my frustrations of this game on them because that’s what a mature person who is mentally sane would do :rolleyes:

FYI. The discussion about the evil moderators and our fascist conspiracy to suppress counter opinions has been split off and moved to the Board Comments Forum.It's not about hoops .. so it's not in the hoops forum.Go Zips!
Thanks ZW. We had a great season. It was a well played game by both teams. One had to loose, its a shame it was the Zips. :unsure:

I had but one problem with KD tonight, and that was his inability to draw up an adequate out of bounds play late in the game. We had not 1, not 2, but 3 opportunities to run a successful play under the hoop in that situation and failed all 3 times with one coming directly after a timeout. That, my friends, is unacceptable.
You hit the nail on the head there ZiPPer. I would have liked to been in those huddles to see what exactly was called. Seems we had very little movement on those plays. Where were the picks? On the other hand, we were lucky OU had the same problem. I thought it was a great game last night. Kids played with intensity and poise. They looked like a team that belonged in that game.

I'm with you 100%. After driving back and forth to the Q for three days, I thought I was going to be angry and depressed if the Zips lost tonight. But they played their hearts out and almost came up with yet another miracle finish.Numbness is a great description. I do feel numb. I also feel sad for the players that their season is ended after they tried so hard to make it two straight trips to the NCAA tournament. They came so darn close, and I'm so darn proud of them for never giving up. They were just outplayed tonight by the smallest of margins. A different bounce of the ball on a single possession could have produced a different result.Kudos to KD for getting his team to the MAC championship game for four straight years. How many other coaches have ever achieved that in the MAC?I'm already looking forward to next season.
bunch of damn apologists, you better be furious about this loss....3 outta 4 and here we go with the "oh it's ok" attitude...

bunch of damn apologists, you better be furious about this loss....3 outta 4 and here we go with the "oh it's ok" attitude...
it is time to hope for more I agree. heres the question. is KD what we need to take us to the next level? personaly I don't know enough about basketball to put in an opinion here other than to say it's a high risk move especially for a mid major like Akron where people aren't exaclt foaming at the mouth to be here

As Keith Dambrot is fond of saying -- "Each game is a mutually exclusive event."If the Zips go out and get pounded by K.e.n.t. (rival)...in a nationally televised...sell-out...home game...the fans will react differently than if the team goes toe-to-toe for 45 minutes and simply fall short.I think most fans have been very fair in any criticism this season. There are a few that consistently go way overboard. Conversely, there are fans that really don't seem to care if we get waxed by K.e.n.t....they're just always happy, and looking towards the future.Welcome to the phenomena known as the Internet Fan Message Board.One guy says ZipsNation is WAY overmoderated. The next guy says "The moderators let WAY too much stuff go." Who's right?