The JUCO thread

In the past I was always kind of anti-JUCO, but with this team, I am tired of waiting. We need an influx of talent ASAP to actually be able to get other talent to come here.

I think there has to be some mega-athletic HS QB that BCS schools are slotting to be a safety or WR...but who really wants to be a college QB. These kinds of kids have a great chance to be successful in the MAC. If we choose a JUCO, so be it. But I would also not rule out an "athlete" at the position. It could make the Zips competitive just as quickly, and not just for 1 or 2 seasons.

If Ianello can't get a couple impact WR's for 2011, we will need a QB that can make plays on his own.

Obviously, Nicely has a lot better chance for success if we get some real WR's too.

WR's gotta be the primary focus for recruiting right now.

...there has to be some mega-athletic HS QB that BCS schools are slotting to be a safety or WR...but who really wants to be a college QB. These kinds of kids have a great chance to be successful in the MAC.

Josh Cribbs & Julian Edelman.

Ben Roethlisberger.

And the QB that has verballed to Akron for 2011, Kyle Pohl, might be the kind of QB you're looking for. Not a monster arm, but he can make things happen with his feet. He can evade sacks and turn them into big gains on the ground.

In the past I was always kind of anti-JUCO, but with this team, I am tired of waiting. We need an influx of talent ASAP to actually be able to get other talent to come here.

I think there has to be some mega-athletic HS QB that BCS schools are slotting to be a safety or WR...but who really wants to be a college QB. These kinds of kids have a great chance to be successful in the MAC. If we choose a JUCO, so be it. But I would also not rule out an "athlete" at the position. It could make the Zips competitive just as quickly, and not just for 1 or 2 seasons.

If Ianello can't get a couple impact WR's for 2011, we will need a QB that can make plays on his own.

Obviously, Nicely has a lot better chance for success if we get some real WR's too.

I agree that we need more WR, but I can't think of any position that we are strong at.

The d-line is a huge concern for me. Yes, we have depth today, but most of them are juniors. We have no separation in elegibility. In 2 years we will be starting an all freshman DL or close to it.

Bowers leaving is bad. He looked like a future stud. Hopefully Alexander returns to form next year.

We may already have the QB in Potts and D'Orazio(sp) that you are talking about.

Thin at LB, thin at safety, thin at OL and DL.

I don't care how good of a recruiter coach I supposedly is. If the team keeps playing like this, nobody will want to come here. To recruit you have to win. To win you have to have good recruits. It's the chicken and the egg logic.

My JUCO order of importance:

1. Wide Receiver - Key player in most of our passing plays, must have good understanding of running precise routes, have good hands, and be able to catch a ball in traffic. Must have good understanding of the pro style offense. Limited time for development. Position immediately available for a speedy deep threat, and possession type.

2. Offensive Lineman - Guard and Tackle positions available. Must be quick on feet and strong. Decent understanding of the pro style offense. Able to protect a QB for a minimum of four seconds on pass plays, preferable six seconds to let our plays develop. Limited time for development. You might have to help the guy next to you also.

3. Safety - Must excel in coverage and should be a good tackler. Good understanding of the 4-3 defense.

4. Defensive Back - Must excel in coverage. Good understanding of the 4-3 defense. Shut down type preferable.

Please send highlight video and contact information to the University of Akron Athletic Office, attention Rob Ianello.

I agree that we need more WR, but I can't think of any position that we are strong at.

The d-line is a huge concern for me. Yes, we have depth today, but most of them are juniors. We have no separation in elegibility. In 2 years we will be starting an all freshman DL or close to it.

Bowers leaving is bad. He looked like a future stud. Hopefully Alexander returns to form next year.

We may already have the QB in Potts and D'Orazio(sp) that you are talking about.

I don't care how good of a recruiter coach I supposedly is. If the team keeps playing like this, nobody will want to come here. To recruit you have to win. To win you have to have good recruits. It's the chicken and the egg logic.

I've been following this kid,Dylan Brumbaugh, this season. He looks like a player. He is tall and has good feet and quickness. He has a big frame and should be able to bulk up with no problem. He has a good motor and doesn't take plays off, he plays o-line also.

I have to go with Buck on this one. We must simply have more separation in elegibility. Having no separation in elegibility is unacceptable. ;)

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/sha...blogs_bevo_beat

Nebraska has 6 JUCO transfers on their roster, if that helps ease the stigma..

There is no stigma, only stupidity. JUCO players are a common in other parts of the country. People look down their noses at them because they think somehow all JUCO players are off the field problems. I'd take a JUCO transfer over a transfer from a BCS school. You can find success with both types, but I think you are more likely to find a malcontent with a BCS transfer more quickly than a JUCO transfer. There is also something humbling about going to a JUCO that BCS kids don't get. Mike Johnson, Vic Green and Brett Biggs were JUCO transfers and I'd take them again in a second. Wasn't Jay Rohr (sp?) a JUCO transfer as well? Alleman and Getsy were BCS transfers and they worked out great, but does the name Bain ring a bell?

If JUCO players are a good fit, we should take them.