What do you think now?

zipseuph

Now, do you think icoach should be fired  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

so what does everyone think now? in the poll that was started on sept 11 over %50 said that we should keep him around. After all of the embarrassing losses in which we were never even close, what do you think?

Not to burst your bubble here, but there are over a million reasons why Icoach will be here for the rest of his contract. He is not going anywhere. :(

Give the man some more time. "Time" meaning till the end of the season to see if we win a game or not.

Aaaannndddd....if, by chance, the Zips do "win a game," as you state, that makes him alright to continue here? I really hate the "more time" argument in sports. It's a synonym phrase for "this guy isn't doing the job, but wants to continue collecting a paycheck."

If he wins a game, give him one more year to prove himself. The current players don't like him, but they are all free to leave after the season. The remaining players will go through spring practice and pre-season camp at least knowing what to expect this time, which can make a huge difference.

I think he needs to be here until the end of next season regardless due to a number of reasons, but if not enough progress is shown after that then it's time to look elsewhere. I don't like it, especially if he goes winless this year, but two years is enough.

Can you expect any quality coaching candidates to apply for the job if we fired the previous coaches after just one year?

If he wins a game, give him one more year to prove himself. The current players don't like him, but they are all free to leave after the season. The remaining players will go through spring practice and pre-season camp at least knowing what to expect this time, which can make a huge difference.

I think he needs to be here until the end of next season regardless due to a number of reasons, but if not enough progress is shown after that then it's time to look elsewhere. I don't like it, especially if he goes winless this year, but two years is enough.

Can you expect any quality coaching candidates to apply for the job if we fired the previous coaches after just one year?

How do you know the current players don't like him?

How do you know the current players don't like him?

Not all of them. You've seen for yourself some players leave the program. There are more of them who are sticking through to the end of the season, albeit unhappily.

I really hate the "more time" argument in sports.

Terminating a coach after one season is a pretty drastic step to take. I don't want to turn UofA into the Cleveland Browns.

One more year if he only wins one won't make the program any worse than it is right now.

I agree with GP1. There are obviously many problems within this team, some related to the players, some related to a rookie head coach, and some related to chemistry between some of the players and a new head coach with a different style than the old one. We saw some of those problems last season, and they are not necessarily quickly and easily resolved.

I believe that any new head coach deserves a minimum of two years to start producing good results, especially if inheriting a troubled program. If the first year results are really bad, at the end of the season the coach needs to report to those who pay his salary what went wrong and show a detailed plan of how he plans to correct the problems with a firm timeline.

If the coach can't show appropriate progress, it's up to his employers to decide how much of his salary they're willing to eat to roll the dice on another new head coach.

Money shouldn't be an issue with this program. If the right person was hired we wouldn't have this debacle. TW should step down for incompetency, Ianello should be fired, and we should move on from all of this instead of wasting more time.

We need to woo a big donor to throw some money at this problem.

I know that the reality for a school like Akron is that he is going to get a few years, no matter what we think.

But, since we've all now witnessed that his inexperience as someone running a program, and making the calls on the field, is showing, I at least have to wonder if this on-the-job learning experience is going to produce a suitable coach for us, even if we do keep him a few more years.

I don't feel good about the prospects of that happening. And I pray that I'm wrong.

I vote "let him finish the season", but move the last 2 home games to the Rubber Bowl where iCoach can be in perfect harmony with a venue befitting his abilities.

I vote "let him finish the season", but move the last 2 home games to the Rubber Bowl where iCoach can be in perfect harmony with a venue befitting his abilities.

This isn't a bad idea. A couple of years ago Coach K wouldn't let Duke's players use their locker room because he felt they hadn't earned it. How about games at the Rubber Bowl until they win? Shouldn't inconvenience more than about 500 fans. There must be at least that many seats still in usuable condition. Or for a really good promotion, let the first 500 fans roam the sideline with the team.

You "voters" are real head-scratchers. More time, eh? Didn't realize UA fans were such gluttons for punishment. "Please sir, may I have another...LOSS?"

I think it depends on how you're thinking of the vote. Emotionally, I think every fan would love to get rid of a coach that is performing poorly. If you did, where would that leave you? With coaches who know that if they do poorly in their first year, they'll be gone? Who would want to take that job other than a desperate coach? I also think the Zips should have been able to at least win a couple of games (and maybe they still will). Those thinking with their heads also know this is a dead topic. Even without the financial considerations, iCoach wil be here for at least another year and probably at least two. There have been plenty of examples cited where coaches who do very poorly in their first year do turn their programs around. I have no idea whether iCoach is one of those folks, but the bottom line is we still have time to find out because he is not going anywhere. Unless T. Barberton Pickens is out there somewhere that we don't know about. Or Gary Taylor is upset and has a lot more influence than we think.

having a chance to tailgate at the Rubber Bowl again sounds AWESOME.

That's what I was thinking. Who needs any seats? The team can play inside the Rubber Bowl while the fans stay outside and tailgate.