Well I hope EVERYONE was at the Can't game

akronzips71

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of his best games ever. A nice double-double with 20 points and made 4-6 free throws. Team leader in points, steals, blocks and rebounds and one off the assist lead. I'd say great game by the big guy. I was really worried when the Zips scored only 8 points in the first ten minutes of the second half but a lot of credit to the Zips for coming back. Nice start to the MAC season!

Just got home. This was Zeke's breakout game. He did everything well -- good shot selection, good rebounding, good D. He beat himself up after missing those last two free throws. But if he hadn't had his best game as a Zip, the Zips would not have won. The Zeke we saw tonight is the Zeke we've all been hoping for. He may not look this good every game, but he's going to get better and better and have more games like this.

Just got home. This was Zeke's breakout game. He did everything well -- good shot selection, good rebounding, good D. He beat himself up after missing those last two free throws. But if he hadn't had his best game as a Zip, the Zips would not have won. The Zeke we saw tonight is the Zeke we've all been hoping for. He may not look this good every game, but he's going to get better and better and have more games like this.

So right now, he is averaging 20 ppg in the MAC

Of course that won't hold up (maybe), but the MAC will sit up and take notice...

His first outing this season against MAC level competition was very impressive. The other teams have something to be afraid of. How do you defend a 7 footer when your biggest guy is 2 or 3 inches shorter - and Zeke is turning out to be athletic.

And a crowd in excess of 5000 even with the students out.

I thought the students showed pretty well. No empty seats behind either basket and the south side was rocking. North side could use some work, with only Root4Roo44 and a few others near him making any noise.

BTW, Party at Justin Greene's house! :CK_brew:

Very entertaining game. I thought for sure the Zips were out of it when they went through that cold streak out of the second half locker room. Big time credit to the guys for chipping away at it and getting back in the game. The story of the night is obviously going to be Zeke. He did basically everything right tonight. He frustrated Greene on defense, he was aggressive on offense, he crashed the boards, he picked up some blocks. It was so refreshing to see the possession in the second half where he got the ball on a post up on the right block and instead of going to that hook shot he loves so much he swept across the lane and threw it down with authority over I believe it was Manns. I've been waiting a year and a half to see that kind of aggression from him. I want to see more of it.

Ohh, and it is now 10:24pm......................

It's so satisfying to beat K.e.n.t. Great game by Zeke. Love watching Abreu's progress as well.

Nice touch, too, to advertise the upcoming National Championship celebrations by having Zippy show off the trophy with K.e.n.t. fans in the house.

And a crowd in excess of 5000 even with the students out.

I thought the students showed pretty well. No empty seats behind either basket and the south side was rocking. North side could use some work, with only Root4Roo44 and a few others near him making any noise.

BTW, Party at Justin Greene's house! :CK_brew:

Party at Greene's!!!

Haha, that was fun.

Zeke was fantastic, that move where he spun around his defender and slammed it was EPIC. Can't wait for two and a half more years of that!

btw: ASN Recap

Listening to the players and their reactions has me hopeful. There is no better way to start off your conference season than a win over the best team (on paper) at home in a tight game. Better than a blowout because the team isn't overconfident. This exposed some weaknesses that we'll need to work on to win the MAC, but it also revealed some new strengths.

Our guys are determined to get better, and this was the perfect way to build their confidence while also showing them just how great their potential could be if they work to improve it.

All in all a good win. Zeke not getting manhandled by a stockier, shorter center is a great step forward and I think he proved to himself that he is able to go toe-to-toe with those guys. Abreu continues to mature into a key player (I think he might be able to dunk the ball, but is holding back his full athleticism to reveal it at a later time). Brett McKnight had the fire in his eyes tonight - you could tell just by looking at him that he wouldn't allow his team to lose if he could help it.

I BELIEVE WE BEAT CAN'T STATE! :screwks:

Wow that win was SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! What a difference a year makes. Last year, Zeke got destroyed; this year, Zeke destroys. Last year, our guards didn't help; this year, the guards were HUGE! Abreu is amazing. That spin move drive late in the game was KILLER! Zeke's dunks were MONSTEROUS! The 3-balls were game changing! The crowd was so electric. That's honestly the greatest crowd to EVER attend a Zips game. 5,019 people, not a sellout, but they were surely the loudest and most explosive bunch I've ever seen. When the Zips went on that run, and Steve lobbed that ball to Zeke for the throw down, I thought the building was gonna come down.

GREAT turnout by the ROWDIES. Students weren't back yet and they still managed to fill both ends and put a lot of students up top. Great job guys. :thumb:

The NCAA trophy being displayed live, in front of Can't fans, was unreal. I hate Can't State AND their fans, but the ones that cheered, I had the smallest bit of respect for. The 'Kowbell Krew' or whatever they call themselves was downright classless. They tried to rip on our soccer team. Jealousy is a powerful thing I guess.

Anyways, go Zips! BEAT DEM BOBKITTIES! :screwks:

Wow, I'm not entirely sure where to start here. Great to get a win against the other best team in the league or most formidable opponent in the MAC, whatever one might prefer. We are now the team that has that X Factor, Game Changer, or MR. Marshall as he should now be referred to by Can't State and all fans. HUGE games by the aforementioned Mr. Marshall in a double double with 20 pts. and 11 boards, as well as 3 blocks, 2 assists and 1 steal and Mr. Brett Mcknight with 19 points, 3 rebounds and 2 assists. Brett came out very fired up early and Zeke did whatever it took late in the game. It was just great to see the senior class get a win against those goons in their last home game against Can't State.

I also have to give an applause to the fans tonight. This is the atmosphere that Coach Dambrot's teams deserve. I know the JAR is capable of getting VERY loud, but that was probably just about as loud as I've ever heard it. (My close second would be Linhart's last second tip in to beat OU a few years back (against bubba), although there were far more people there tonight.) I brought some friends and family members with me to the game tonight, two of them were my younger cousins who are in high school and at that age where they are looking at colleges and they had a fantastic time and "Witnessed" (no Zips promo pun intended there :D ) what an amazing college basketball atmosphere really is. They were very stoked about the game and want to come back and see more. There should be no complaints from fans tonight. Great win. Oh! and the biggest factor tonight (in my view) was that even though we were very cold from behind the arc, especially in the second half, we still got the win, which shows that this team really is very physical and versatile up front and ready for league play. Can't State didn't really have an answer for our front court with 3 blocks from Mr. Marshall, 1 from Cvetinovic and 1 from Bardo. Not to mention that Greene was virtually a non factor on the verge of fouling out tonight.

Oops, I almost forgot, SUCK IT KE.NT! :screwks:

I said this last year and I'll repeat it this year. Zeke plays his best in big games. McFadden hinted to it during the post game interview. Zeke gets "up" for big games, he is emotional. Now they need to get him to get like that for the games that aren't considered "big". I think of Ray Lewis, he always finds a way to motivate himself into a frenzy on game day, it seems to focus and pump him up for the game. Maybe Polamalu is a better example because Zeke is probably closer to Troy's personality off the field. I heard Tomlin speak about Troy recently, paraphrasing, "I never seen a guy that practices as bad as he does but unleashes fury when he goes out on game day"

Congrats to Zeke. Congrats to the team. I was happy to see some nice passes (Rico/Steve) down low to Zeke. The value of Brett in that game should not be over looked. He was a difference maker. He did the heavy work in that game. He could have backed down anyone to the paint last night. Nice game Brett!

I completely agree with all the previous posts in this thread. Some one has to be the party pooper and

I suppose its my turn (again).

Totally disappointed with the poor free throw shooting by the Zips. Missed enough front ends of one-and-ones

to fill the Titanic. Make eighty percent of the charity tosses and the Zips blow the "goons" out of the JAR.

Defense? What defense? I know the score was sixty-two for them. That was more due to both teams

settling for playing half court offense than our quality defense. Our guys are simply not getting in their

"grills". Nor are they playing in the proper defense stance (one hand high and semi crouch). I counted

three early baskets by Cant sux when I had to attend to my handicapped guest (she got lost trying to find

the elevator to go to the ladies' room). The point being: we are really easy to shoot over when we guard

with our hands in our pockets.

Did any one notice that ALL of McNees' points came when he was playing the shooting guard? His Dad

is still pushing for Steve to be the prime point guard. Sorry, but Steve is so much better when he accepts

the two guard as his role. I, personally, have great hopes for Steve being a huge difference maker

as a shooting guard. Steve played a great game last night and no one has mentioned it until now.

The game stats reveal that overall, the Zips played a better game than Kant.