More expansion

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again. Texas A&M has reportedly just been accepted to the SEC.

The SEC will be looking for wither one or three more teams to balance things out. Things will filter down to the MAC level. I hope that president Proenza is on the phone with the presidents of C-USA.

The Big 12s days are numbered. Those schools are going to break up and go to other conferences and the Big 12 will go away.

The SEC will be looking for wither one or three more teams to balance things out. Things will filter down to the MAC level. I hope that president Proenza is on the phone with the presidents of C-USA.

The Big 12s days are numbered. Those schools are going to break up and go to other conferences and the Big 12 will go away.

5 16 member BCS conferences is now a real possibility. The key remaining piece is Texas. If they move, the remaining members of the Big 12 have no choice. C-USA is a possibility for us, but I think a 16 member Big East with all members participating in football is more realistic. Our size and growing research profile fit the institutional requirements, our Akron-Canton-Cleveland media market is a good fit, we've had a lot of athletic success on the national level in the past 5 years, and our facilities are great. The only limiting factors are (maybe) the lack of a medical/pharmacy college, success on the football field, and our basketball facility. If there are plans for a future arena, the basketball facility issue could be overlooked.

Just remember, UC was not strong in football when they joined and have ever only won 2 national championships 30+ years ago in basketball. We are a much better fit than most of you realize.

Look for the Big East to take 5 other schools: UCF, UMass, East Carolina, Memphis, and Akron in that order. And if we don't get the call from the Big East, there will definitely be openings in C-USA, and I have to think we are a front runner for one of those. I have no doubt that the Big East will split based on football though.

:horse:

5 16 member BCS conferences is now a real possibility. The key remaining piece is Texas. If they move, the remaining members of the Big 12 have no choice. C-USA is a possibility for us, but I think a 16 member Big East with all members participating in football is more realistic. Our size and growing research profile fit the institutional requirements, our Akron-Canton-Cleveland media market is a good fit, we've had a lot of athletic success on the national level in the past 5 years, and our facilities are great. The only limiting factors are (maybe) the lack of a medical/pharmacy college, success on the football field, and our basketball facility. If there are plans for a future arena, the basketball facility issue could be overlooked.

Just remember, UC was not strong in football when they joined and have ever only won 2 national championships 30+ years ago in basketball. We are a much better fit than most of you realize.

Look for the Big East to take 5 other schools: UCF, UMass, East Carolina, Memphis, and Akron in that order. And if we don't get the call from the Big East, there will definitely be openings in C-USA, and I have to think we are a front runner for one of those. I have no doubt that the Big East will split based on football though.

:horse:

Acceptance would signal the end of any hope for the basketball team. There is no way the Zips have a prayer in that conference for Basketball and with the current facilities, new talent still wouldn't come. Now, it could be a good thing for the football team if the current staff has the ability to recruit to the level of conference.

Depending on how this all shakes out, CUSA might be a better fit for us for all sports.

I think anything other than a downward move to a conference like the Sun Belt is good for us. I'm just not convinced that our attributes are anything that would persuade a "bigger" conference to say, "We want Akron".

What does Cincy circa 2005 have that we don't? Answer: Medical and pharmacy schools and corresponding large grant money and research, a mediocre football team, and a great basketball arena.

I think anything other than a downward move to a conference like the Sun Belt is good for us. I'm just not convinced that our attributes are anything that would persuade a "bigger" conference to say, "We want Akron".

What does Cincy circa 2005 have that we don't? Answer: Medical and pharmacy schools and corresponding large grant money and research, a mediocre football team, and a great basketball arena.

Cincinnati is a slightly more-attractive market than Akron-Canton too.

Do you not affiliate NEOUCOM with Akron?

I would think our lack of a direct Medical and Pharmacy school is pretty low on the list of reasons we'll never get invited to the Big East?

I would think our lack of a direct Medical and Pharmacy school is pretty low on the list of reasons we'll never get invited to the Big East?

Other than the few items I've already mentioned, Cincy circa 2005 had no more to offer than we do now. And no recent National Championship to brag about either.

Yes, Cincinnati is more attractive than Akron-Canton, no doubt. But, there is no BCS school in Cleveland making that our territory too. Just as Detroit is part of Michigan's market. The Cleveland-Akron-Canton area is a megalopolis that a BCS conference should be salivating over. It would also take the two population dense diagonal corners of the state on either side of Columbus and make them Big East territory. Natural geographic rivalries with Pitt, WVU, and Cincy should also be obvious. And if you want to talk about stimulating the local economy, think about the fans from those schools who actually travel in mass to follow their schools (unlike most MAC fans) who would make regular trips to Akron. The bars, restaurants, and even potentially the hotels have a lot to gain from this and should be supporting UA in a bid.

The lack of medical and pharmacy schools per se is not a big deal, but the NIH and big pharamceutical research dollars that we can't attract without these affiliations is huge. And no, I don't count NEOUCOM...it's in the middle of a corn field with no direct interaction with the hospitals or UA for research. I'm currently a medical student, and my talks with Dr. Proenza lead to the creation of the Bioinnovation Institute, so I know what I'm talking about. While the Bioinnovation Institute is a strong step in the right direction, the medical and pharmacy schools need to be in Akron and part of UA. A Big East committee would also not consider NEOUCOM as part of UA.

The Big East for UA isn't as far fetched as most of you think. You had better believe that it is Dr. Proenza's goal (not that he ever told me though).

Recruits don't just select schools alone. They also consider the conferences the schools are in. If UA should ever squeak into the Big East, the Zips' leverage to attract top recruits would be increased several magnitudes, perhaps more so in basketball than football.

Fantasizing for a moment about Zips basketball in the Big East, the first season would likely find them fighting desperately to get a step above the cellar. But the longterm possibilities are intriguing, to say the least.

Add a new arena into the mix, and what do you suppose local interest would be in a steady stream of highly ranked Big East basketball powers playing in Akron?

Where might some of the best basketball talent in Ohio want to go if they wanted to play close to home against many of the top college basketball powers in the country?

Recruits don't just select schools alone. They also consider the conferences the schools are in. If UA should ever squeak into the Big East, the Zips' leverage to attract top recruits would be increased several magnitudes, perhaps more so in basketball than football.

Fantasizing for a moment about Zips basketball in the Big East, the first season would likely find them fighting desperately to get a step above the cellar. But the longterm possibilities are intriguing, to say the least.

Add a new arena into the mix, and what do you suppose local interest would be in a steady stream of highly ranked Big East basketball powers playing in Akron?

Where might some of the best basketball talent in Ohio want to go if they wanted to play close to home against many of the top college basketball powers in the country?

Amen, Reverend DiG.

Cleveland is Ohio State's market. I don't think any BE representative could be duped into thinking people in Cleveland care about the Zips, or would suddenly go gaga for Zips football just because UConn or South Florida came to town.

Sure, UA would give their left nut to be in the BE. I'd donate mine if it helped the cause. But I just don't see it happening.

Here's an incoming post from 2000: Cincinnati is Ohio State's market. I don't think any BE representative could be duped into thinking people in Cincinnati care about the Cats, or would suddenly go gaga for Cats football just because Rutgers or West Virginia came to town.

Of course, now we know that OSU's base has significantly weakened by adding a new BCS presence to SW Ohio. You stick a BCS tag on Akron and the people of Cleveland will start following us at first as they have a habit of only caring about the "big boys" of college football. You'll see an instant attendance boost. Get to a few bowl games and they'll even start wearing Zips gear. It took a while for it to happen in Cinci, but it seems to have paid off pretty well for the BE to take the worst football program in college football at the time.

Other than the few items I've already mentioned, Cincy circa 2005 had no more to offer than we do now. And no recent National Championship to brag about either.

Yes, Cincinnati is more attractive than Akron-Canton, no doubt. But, there is no BCS school in Cleveland making that our territory too. Just as Detroit is part of Michigan's market. The Cleveland-Akron-Canton area is a megalopolis that a BCS conference should be salivating over. It would also take the two population dense diagonal corners of the state on either side of Columbus and make them Big East territory. Natural geographic rivalries with Pitt, WVU, and Cincy should also be obvious. And if you want to talk about stimulating the local economy, think about the fans from those schools who actually travel in mass to follow their schools (unlike most MAC fans) who would make regular trips to Akron. The bars, restaurants, and even potentially the hotels have a lot to gain from this and should be supporting UA in a bid.

The lack of medical and pharmacy schools per se is not a big deal, but the NIH and big pharamceutical research dollars that we can't attract without these affiliations is huge. And no, I don't count NEOUCOM...it's in the middle of a corn field with no direct interaction with the hospitals or UA for research. I'm currently a medical student, and my talks with Dr. Proenza lead to the creation of the Bioinnovation Institute, so I know what I'm talking about. While the Bioinnovation Institute is a strong step in the right direction, the medical and pharmacy schools need to be in Akron and part of UA. A Big East committee would also not consider NEOUCOM as part of UA.

The Big East for UA isn't as far fetched as most of you think. You had better believe that it is Dr. Proenza's goal (not that he ever told me though).

I'll have two of whatever Trimmy is smoking.

Here's an incoming post from 2000: Cincinnati is Ohio State's market. I don't think any BE representative could be duped into thinking people in Cincinnati care about the Cats, or would suddenly go gaga for Cats football just because Rutgers or West Virginia came to town.

Of course, now we know that OSU's base has significantly weakened by adding a new BCS presence to SW Ohio. You stick a BCS tag on Akron and the people of Cleveland will start following us at first as they have a habit of only caring about the "big boys" of college football. You'll see an instant attendance boost. Get to a few bowl games and they'll even start wearing Zips gear. It took a while for it to happen in Cinci, but it seems to have paid off pretty well for the BE to take the worst football program in college football at the time.

Cincinnati had a nationally recognized basketball program, with a real arena. Cincinnati is a real city, with no need to fool people by pretending distant big cities belong to their population/fan base. Cincinnati was in C-USA when they were invited to the BE. And on and on and on...

Wait...it's Zach...what the hell am I doing?

Out.

Dave, I've followed Akron athletics for the past forty years. There is actually LESS community interest today than there was in 1975 (largely because the city has lost 1/3 of its population). The attendance absolute ceiling for basketball is 5-6000 (ave.) even if you brought Madison Square Garden to S Main. For football it is 20k, regardless of how many games they win. GP-1 and I agree on one thing, Akron is not a good place to build a retail base of consumers.

More generally, I must say, I've done everything in my power to avoid reading news about changes in college athletics. It is all constructed on the strength of BCS audience capacity and future growth. Those of us with no dog in the race (e.g., the entire MAC), have nothing to gain from it. Even if the blow-up occured tomorrow, it is unlikely any MAC schools would be seen as Big East caliber -- and frankly Akron would have to stand in line behind at least Ohio, Toledo and Miami. Conference USA is barely more than a parallel move, with significant increased costs. As I've said time and again, the Akron Zips are a typical MAC athletic program -- and there ain't nuthin wrong with that! Let's wait till we're "too big" for our current surroundings before even thinking about moving anywhere.

Dave, I've followed Akron athletics for the past forty years. There is actually LESS community interest today than there was in 1975 (largely because the city has lost 1/3 of its population). The attendance absolute ceiling for basketball is 5-6000 (ave.) even if you brought Madison Square Garden to S Main. For football it is 20k, regardless of how many games they win. GP-1 and I agree on one thing, Akron is not a good place to build a retail base of consumers.

Excellent post.

Akron is not a good place to build a retail fan base, but the surrounding area is. The Aeros do a good job of drawing fans to baseball games from all around Akron, so it can be done. They need to try harder.

If the mac/UofA want to be taken seriously, they need to draw fans to the games. Selling corporate suites is very important, but when America turns on ESPN and there are 5,000 people, it is laughable and recruits aren't going to take it seriously.

Lastly, the Big East. I lived in Connecticut for a year after college and I went to a lot of Big East basketball games. We would get absolutely destroyed in the Big East. Within five years, it wouldn't be worth having a program. Look at schools like Providence and that's what we would be like.

The Big East doesn't need another doormat in football. Thats a basketball conference any way. Sorry,Akron adds nothing in football or b.ball that upgrades that conference in TV market share,money or competetion. Thats the bottom line. You don't bring in a TCU which is in the Dallas market then look at some school that has no market or competetive value. Dollars folks,dollars.

Excellent post.

Akron is not a good place to build a retail fan base, but the surrounding area is. The Aeros do a good job of drawing fans to baseball games from all around Akron, so it can be done. They need to try harder.

If the mac/UofA want to be taken seriously, they need to draw fans to the games. Selling corporate suites is very important, but when America turns on ESPN and there are 5,000 people, it is laughable and recruits aren't going to take it seriously.

Lastly, the Big East. I lived in Connecticut for a year after college and I went to a lot of Big East basketball games. We would get absolutely destroyed in the Big East. Within five years, it wouldn't be worth having a program. Look at schools like Providence and that's what we would be like.

Hey...not so fast!! According to some people, we just got some new guys that are looking good in practices, and should be taking us to the upper echelon. The Big East teams will be fearing the Roo very soon.

More generally, I must say, I've done everything in my power to avoid reading news about changes in college athletics. It is all constructed on the strength of BCS audience capacity and future growth. Those of us with no dog in the race (e.g., the entire MAC), have nothing to gain from it. Even if the blow-up occured tomorrow, it is unlikely any MAC schools would be seen as Big East caliber -- and frankly Akron would have to stand in line behind at least Ohio, Toledo and Miami. Conference USA is barely more than a parallel move, with significant increased costs. As I've said time and again, the Akron Zips are a typical MAC athletic program -- and there ain't nuthin wrong with that! Let's wait till we're "too big" for our current surroundings before even thinking about moving anywhere.

Amen to that!!!! Typical of the "right now" culture in the US...we want everything today. But outside Akron, most will not see the Zips in the same light as those on this forum. My recommendation would be to build incrementally with a solid, repeatable formula/process. The conference affiliation will take care of itself.

Amen to that!!!! Typical of the "right now" culture in the US...we want everything today. But outside Akron, most will not see the Zips in the same light as those on this forum. My recommendation would be to build incrementally with a solid, repeatable formula/process. The conference affiliation will take care of itself.

We are a "right now" culture, but there is a bigger picture with the mac that doesn't play into that. The mas has been around since 1946. It can't seem to get it right. The goal should be to have the best mac we can possible have with the expectation being it will never catch up, because history shows it isn't capable of catching up to the bcs conferences. We are in the mac. That's where we belong until we are forced elsewhere, or the mac's member schools wake up and take control of their future.