Replacement rumors.

ZachTheZip

Who  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Carl Pelini expected to take the FAU job. I doubt we even tried to contact him.

If a mid level Sun Belt team can get a guy like that, with Ohio roots, he should have been on our radar too.

Yet, some folks on here are hanging their hopes on a D-II coach with barely a .500 record? Come on folks. Talk about lowering the bar. But I know, it really wasn't that bad if you eliminate the years where he had a bad record :rolleyes:

I assume your last sentence is sarcasm. If so, its misplaced. Winters took over a bad team and turned it into a winner. If you look at his over-all record, it has to include the early years where the team struggled, which lowers his winning percentage.

Put it this way, lets say the next Akron's coach goes 2-9, 5-6, and 9-3 in his first three seasons. His over-all record would be 16-18, but we'd be calling home coach of the year after three years and begging him to stay. He'd be a prime candidate to move up to a bigger job, and someone at a BCS school would be posting, "He's got a losing record."

I remember when Butch Davis was coach of the Browns for the 2004 draft. Roethlisberger was available for the Browns in the first round, but Davis passed on him. I read that people on the staff were telling him to take Ben, but Davis had a thing about not taking a high first round pick on a player from a mid-major school. It was just a bias on his part. I wonder if TW has the same thing going on. When it came to RI, I think TW got stars in his eyes about picking someone from Notre Dame. I hope he's over that and can look objectively at a guy like Winters.

I just saw a promo on TV for the OU-NIU game. Interesting contrast in coaches. OU got a big name in Solich and NIU went the other route. The NIU coach is another guy who was hired in the MAC who was a career assistant with no head coaching experience. You can have success ether way, or you can go the Paul Winters route and go for a successful head coach at a smaller school. I don't really care which way they go, as long as it works.

Early years? In his 4th season at Wayne State, his team finished in 12th place in their conference. In his 6th year (just two years ago), they finished in 8th place in their conference.

So, NO, it wasn't sarcastic.

I can't believe some people are trying to sell themselves on such low standards. What if our basketball team had finished 12th in the MAC in Keith's 4th season, and 8th in the MAC in his 6th season. Many of you would be asking for him to be replaced.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If we consider lower Division head coaches like Winters, what about Greg Debeljak at Case Western Reserve? 52-22 through 2010, and I believe Case was 9-1 this season.

Can't really judge D3. Even comparing FBS to D2 is a stretch, but D3 isn't even scholarship based.

Mike Sherman anyone? Texas A&M and Green Bay Packers, give him the "tressel money"

If we consider lower Division head coaches like Winters, what about Greg Debeljak at Case Western Reserve? 52-22 through 2010, and I believe Case was 9-1 this season.

Can't really judge D3. Even comparing FBS to D2 is a stretch, but D3 isn't even scholarship based.

Mike Sherman anyone? Texas A&M and Green Bay Packers, give him the "tressel money"

If the 'tressel money" is taking him to lunch at the Martin Center, I'm all for it.

I’ve attached an image of a graph as a data analysis example. The red “curve” is simply the actual data connected by lines. The thin black line is a linear “trend line”. The blue line is the arithmetic mean (average) of all the data points. If the data used in this example was the price of a stock, I think the shareholders would be pretty ecstatic looking at this. I doubt they would be hung up on the average price of the stock over this time.

But this data does not represent a stock price. I’ll bet there are a few Zip fans out there that might be able to guess what this data actually represents!

post-619-1322831784_thumb.jpg

I’ve attached an image of a graph as a data analysis example. The red “curve” is simply the actual data connected by lines. The thin black line is a linear “trend line”. The blue line is the arithmetic mean (average) of all the data points. If the data used in this example was the price of a stock, I think the shareholders would be pretty ecstatic looking at this. I doubt they would be hung up on the average price of the stock over this time.

But this data does not represent a stock price. I’ll bet there are a few Zip fans out there that might be able to guess what this data actually represents!

First four years, he is under the average three of the four...one year right at average. Second four years, he is over the average three of the four years...one year right at average. Trend is all that matters. Paul has taken a pile of crap and made it a winner.

A coach that has a consistent record means that he can't make a team any better than it was when he got there. A coach that starts off taking over a poor team but improves over time better fits out needs. We have yet to see whether Winters can sustain a winning team over the course of years, but at this point that's not even a concern for us.

I'm sure he turn us down once again....but I'm curious about your thoughts on Larry Kehres from Mt. Union. Is he the "exception" you'd make, dipping as low as D-3? Hiring a legendary coach with the highest winning percentage in the history of college football would seem like a no-brainer for Akron.

Speilman wasn't a good player ?? Either G-Mann17 doesn't know anything about football or has something against Speilman. 2 Time All-American, Lombardi Award Winner, 4 Time Pro-Bowler, 3 Time All Pro, Member of the College Football HOF Class of 2010. Man....that dude sucks !!! Hopefully the next Akron coach doesn't recruit any players like that.

Coaching wise, NO...he is not ready to be a college head coach. Plus he is making more at ESPN than Akron would pay him.

This whole thing is zany. Even for an internet chat board it's zany.

As zany as thinking all of Notre Dame's 5th year seniors were going to leave ND to rescue the Zips.

There are a number of good jobs open for experienced coaches this year and not a large number of big names looking. Akron is forever hamstrung by their inability to pay big $$ to get a top name. Those top names are either taking time off or moving into top assistant roles where they can live good and make big $$ while waiting out another opportuntiy or not (see Mike Stoops).

Crazy things could happen, like Mike Johnson returning to Akron instead of the NFL, but the smart money is on a DII coach moving up. Winters? Could be.

However, just to show I can't avoid the all the wacky fun, how about Chris Spielman?

Spielman wasn't a good player, heck he isn't even a good announcer. He has no coaching experience and quite frankly, no people skills.

I'm sure he turn us down once again....but I'm curious about your thoughts on Larry Kehres from Mt. Union. Is he the "exception" you'd make, dipping as low as D-3? Hiring a legendary coach with the highest winning percentage in the history of college football would seem like a no-brainer for Akron.

Ummm.... he's never turned us down? Larry Kehres on the other hand has turned a lot of people down, Can't State multiple times. He's never leaving Mount Union. Plus, the ways a D3 program, with no scholarship component and no spring practice etc., is built, is a completely different story than the other 3 divisions. I'm not sure Kehres would even have the know how on how to get it done at this level, and he probably realizes that.

Ummm.... he's never turned us down? Larry Kehres on the other hand has turned a lot of people down, Can't State multiple times. He's never leaving Mount Union. Plus, the ways a D3 program, with no scholarship component and no spring practice etc., is built, is a completely different story than the other 3 divisions. I'm not sure Kehres would even have the know how on how to get it done at this level, and he probably realizes that.

+1.

Unlike K e n t, I would never pursue Kehres for the HC position here. However, IMHO, I think he'd make a very good OC.

I'm fairly certain Akron made overtures, if not an offer, before they hired J.D. Pluto was always pushing for it, too. Sure, things operate differently at D-1 than at D-3, but season after season after season of National Championships and undefeated records says a whole lot about your coaching and the way you do things. Akron would've been foolish to have never approached Kehres. I'd be curious to know Tressel's thoughts on Kehres and coaching at D-3 vs. D-1, having moved up from D-2 himself with such success. Some guys will likely tell you: If you're a winner, it doesn't matter what level you're coaching at...success will follow you.

I'm fairly certain Akron made overtures, if not an offer, before they hired J.D. Pluto was always pushing for it, too. Sure, things operate differently at D-1 than at D-3, but season after season after season of National Championships and undefeated records says a whole lot about your coaching and the way you do things. Akron would've been foolish to have never approached Kehres. I'd be curious to know Tressel's thoughts on Kehres and coaching at D-3 vs. D-1, having moved up from D-2 himself with such success. Some guys will likely tell you: If you're a winner, it doesn't matter what level you're coaching at...success will follow you.

No they certainly did not. He pursued it hard with the blessing of Lee O, got a token interview, was told they were not going to hire him, and he took the job with Wayne State.

As for Tressel, he came from FCS. And ask any coach who has coached at multiple levels ar knows coaches who have: They will tell you that running a program is very similar in 1-A, 1-AA, and D2. D3 is an entirely different beast with very different rules, requirements, and strategies for success. The Kehres stategy has been to bring in about 100 guys with every recruiting class and play the odds on finding diamonds in the rough. There is no way to implement that stategy in D1.

I would like to have hired Kehres about 5 years ago. However, now he leaves most of the coaching to his son Vince(Defense) and Zac Bruney(Offense). Every year during the NC game broadcast the announcers comment on how he has taken a step back on the actually coaching he does and has turned most of it over to them. It sounds like now he is more of what Joe Paterno was at Penn St.

Coach Arians is suggesting Randy Fichtner a Cleveland native for the Memphis job in today's Post Gazette.

Fichtner was the Memphis offensive coordinator for many years according to his bio, including in 2005 when they played us. I doubt an NFL assistant with no ties to Akron would be interested in our head coaching position. It would be a step backwards. I don't know of any NFL assistants with ties to Akron at this point.

Should we look into Mike Sherman?

Don't give me the crap about us not being good enough to go after certain coaches. We need to go above and beyond with this coaching search. We need to hire someone who people say is out of our league. We can't afford to settle.

He was paid $2,200,000 per year at A&M.

If we doubled what we paid our last coach we could offer him one-third as much money as he was making there. (and he would still be making 50% more than the next closest MAC coach)

How could he refuse? Ha ha.

Don't give me the crap about us not being good enough to go after certain coaches. We need to go above and beyond with this coaching search. We need to hire someone who people say is out of our league. We can't afford to settle.

He was paid $2,200,000 per year at A&M.

If we doubled what we paid our last coach we could offer him one-third as much money as he was making there. (and he would still be making 50% more than the next closest MAC coach)

How could he refuse? Ha ha.

He was signed until 2015. So if he came here, he would still be pulling in a good paycheck from A&M on top of whatever we pay him.

Coach Arians is suggesting Randy Fichtner a Cleveland native for the Memphis job in today's Post Gazette.

Fichtner was the Memphis offensive coordinator for many years according to his bio, including in 2005 when they played us. I doubt an NFL assistant with no ties to Akron would be interested in our head coaching position. It would be a step backwards. I don't know of any NFL assistants with ties to Akron at this point.

Mike Johnson. He has tons of experience as an NFL assistant. Many of you may have forgotten about him since he jumped back to the college ranks last season.

Mike Johnson. He has tons of experience as an NFL assistant. Many of you may have forgotten about him since he jumped back to the college ranks last season.
I wish he would give consideration, but according to footballscoop, he was contacted and only wishes to give his input and stay on the west coast. Can't say I blame him with his resume.

I don't really think we are the ones saying we're not good enough.

We don't win, we can't get people to come to the games, we can't get recruits to come here, and we don't have the money to pay a good coach.

It's just the facts and the sad state of our football program...

Michigan State defensive coordinator Patt Narduzzi seems to have his sights on BCS conference jobs only. Looking at Michigan State though, and if we were to go the coordinator route, I think I'd rather have MSU's offensive coordinator than their defensive one. I;m not really sold on the coordintor route if the candidate has no real head coaching experience, but at least if we did go that route we should at least look at guys that were in charge of the best units of their own team.