OHSAA State Title games

Has anyone seen any of the games this weekend and have seen any players you would like to see in a Zips uniform? Watching the Kenton/Norwayne D4 game right now and my brethren from Wayne County is upstaging (21-14 at half after a Kenton hail mary) Mr. Ohio, Beny Mauk. I like seeing #45 as a quarterback on Norwayne, not a number you usually see. I don't know if he has any D1 offers but I think he could play as an OLB or strong safety in the MAC. Great football instincts.

Has anyone seen any of the games this weekend and have seen any players you would like to see in a Zips uniform? Watching the Kenton/Norwayne D4 game right now and my brethren from Wayne County is upstaging (21-14 at half after a Kenton hail mary) Mr. Ohio, Beny Mauk. I like seeing #45 as a quarterback on Norwayne, not a number you usually see. I don't know if he has any D1 offers but I think he could play as an OLB or strong safety in the MAC. Great football instincts.

Norwayne played at Green Memorial stadium 2 weeks ago. I live right next door so I watched the last qtr of the game through the fence. Their QB(#45) was very impressive. He is big and fast, with a decent arm.

Some Info

Quarterback Adam Wallace, The Daily Record Player of the Year, has taken it to another level after already becoming one of the most efficient passers in area history. In the playoffs, Wallace has averaged 20 yards per completion (18 during the regular season) and has passed for 10 touchdowns with just one interception (compared to 26 scores and seven picks in the first 10).

Do you guys believe me now? link

I missed that conversation a few weeks ago. Smithville 2001 grad here.

I always had one question about the Wayne County schools nicknames. Why the duplication? Chippewa Chipps? Smithville Smithies? Good thing Wooster decided to buck the trend.

At halftime, the studio announcers said he was the best player no one heard of before this weekend. They said, MAC schools should be all over him now, whether they have a coach or not (I think they meant us ) :lol: . I think as a D1 player it wouldn't be quarterback though.

I heard that comment. It cracked me up too.

#45 for Norwayne is a player. Put him anywhere on the field and he'll impact the game.

I loved how patient he was going through his progressions.

He was a beast running the ball, and no single d-lineman could sack him. His strength in the pocket reminded me of Roethlisberger.

Maybe his best College position is LB, but I'd give him a look at QB.

Good call, Keener!

Here's a little blurb on Adam Wallace.

Although I don't know his head coach Joe Harbour directly, I do know his (Joe's) in-laws. I'll see if I can gat an idea as to which schools are giving Adam attention at this point.

Per his coach in Sundays paper Link "Adam is also starting to get some interest from some Div. I schools," Harbour said. "Toledo and Youngstown State were in this week to talk."

Someone needs to tell him YSU is not Div. 1.

Who would have thought that the first WCAL team to win a state title would be Norwayne? Figured Waynedale, Dalton, and yes even Smithville (Waynedale grad so that hurt to say) are historically the flag ship teams and places like Norwayne are just there to fill the conference. For those of you that are fans of the WCAL I hear my Golden Bears are gonna be a team to watch over these next few years. This years eighth grade class has been undefeated throughout Junior High and the Waynedale coach (a grad of not only Waynedale but also our Universirty of Akron) Matt Zuercher is very excited to work with them.

Just out of curiosity do any of you remember watching Matt Zuercher play? he was here slightly before my time and I am curious to hear the thoughts of people who watched him at the college level.

Who would have thought that the first WCAL team to win a state title would be Norwayne? Figured Waynedale, Dalton, and yes even Smithville (Waynedale grad so that hurt to say) are historically the flag ship teams and places like Norwayne are just there to fill the conference. For those of you that are fans of the WCAL I hear my Golden Bears are gonna be a team to watch over these next few years. This years eighth grade class has been undefeated throughout Junior High and the Waynedale coach (a grad of not only Waynedale but also our Universirty of Akron) Matt Zuercher is very excited to work with them.

Just out of curiosity do any of you remember watching Matt Zuercher play? he was here slightly before my time and I am curious to hear the thoughts of people who watched him at the college level.

Matt was a solid, versatile fullback at Akron. He ran decently, blocked well and was a pretty good receiver out of the backfield too. I seem to recall him playing a fair amount of special teams too, even after he cracked the starting lineup.

Good call, Keener!

Here's a little blurb on Adam Wallace.

Although I don't know his head coach Joe Harbour directly, I do know his (Joe's) in-laws. I'll see if I can gat an idea as to which schools are giving Adam attention at this point.

Per his coach in Sundays paper Link "Adam is also starting to get some interest from some Div. I schools," Harbour said. "Toledo and Youngstown State were in this week to talk."

Someone needs to tell him YSU is not Div. 1.

I know that Wallace has not made any college decisions at this point and that he was at a recruiting event last night. As far as I can gather, neither Akron nor K.E.N.T. has shown serious interest.

Maybe that will change with the new Zip head coach.

You may recall Vic Whiting, the Stark County coach who ripped Ianello for not recruiting the area very well. Well Norwayne head coach Joe Harbour was previously an assistant for Whiting at Northwest (as were Norwayne assistants Jude LaChance and Vinnie Sette). So it’s likely Ianello would have had a difficult time landing this kid even if he had been interested. Maybe Ianello's firing will make it more likely that Adam becomes a Zip? :thumb:

Of all the players I saw in the state title games, the ones I'd most want to see in a Zips uniform are whoever the guys were that were making the plays on defense for Springfield Shawnee against Mooney. They wore numbers 54 and 51 I believe. Also, the featured tailback for Mooney looked like a potential big time player in the collegiate ranks. Sorry, I don't remember the names but may recognize them if I heard them again.

Outside of that game I was most impressed with the, previously mentioned in this thread, Adam Wallace of Norwayne and the tall, extremely fast wideout for Pickerington Central whose name I also cannot recall but he scored on a long TD against St. Ignatius.

Of all the players I saw in the state title games, the ones I'd most want to see in a Zips uniform are whoever the guys were that were making the plays on defense for Springfield Shawnee against Mooney. They wore numbers 54 and 51 I believe. Also, the featured tailback for Mooney looked like a potential big time player in the collegiate ranks. Sorry, I don't remember the names but may recognize them if I heard them again.

Outside of that game I was most impressed with the, previously mentioned in this thread, Adam Wallace of Norwayne and the tall, extremely fast wideout for Pickerington Central whose name I also cannot recall but he scored on a long TD against St. Ignatius.

#1 from Kirtland is a player. Lightning quick. The combination of #1 and #34 for Kirtland was devastating. Tough to tell if #34 has the foot speed to be a D1 player due to his bum ankle. But he passes the eye test. Big, tough kid and a winner too. And that's what we need on the Zips.

I've heard a lot of negativity involvin our QB situation, but honestly I don't know if we have much talent there. If the receivers caught the balls that hit their hands, and the offensive line held long enough for them to drop back and look down field, I'd make an attempt to judge their play. I'd love to see a few good O-line recruits that could start 3-4 years here, then we'll see what we have. I'm not sure Cam Newton or Drew Brees could play well (on this team) with the lack of production at other positions.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread makes it sound like Adam Wallace is still available for whomever winds up being the Zips' next HC. One poster makes it sound like Mount Union is his likely destination at this point. Maybe you wouldn't normally offer a guy like this (who doesn't have any other D-1 offers apparently), but our circumstances our a little unusual this year. I hope the new guy at least gives him a hard look.

This thread makes it sound like Adam Wallace is still available for whomever winds up being the Zips' next HC. One poster makes it sound like Mount Union is his likely destination at this point. Maybe you wouldn't normally offer a guy like this (who doesn't have any other D-1 offers apparently), but our circumstances our a little unusual this year. I hope the new guy at least gives him a hard look.

WCAL! WCAL! WCAL! :D:rock:

Watching the Cardinal Mooney game rebroadcast on STO & Mooney's RB, #3 Roosevelt Griffin looks very good. 5'9" 190, Sr.

They also have a stud junior LB who really passes the eyeball test, #9 Courtney Love (poor kid), 6'1" 225.

Yeah I think Love could fill a major Hole for us.