Bowden's Quick Turnarounds Should Give Us Hope

InTheZone

I have to come out of my self-imposed break for a second to say one thing....

Great, great hire for the Zips! I went from the lowest of lows in terms of Zips football depression a few days ago to the highest of highs. This is huge for us.

I'm going to go ahead and pat myself on the back for, I believe, being the first to mention Bowden's name in connection to our head coaching job, as he was my pick for head coach back in '09.

http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?sh...hl=Terry+Bowden

If we would've hired him then I think we would've saved ourselves a lot of heartache. After we didn't give him a sniff last time around, I didn't mention him this time because I figured there was no chance. Apparently he was neither on our radar then, nor was he this time around, which is about par for the course with this athletic department. This situation truly dropped in our laps.

All that being said, these stats should encourage us greatly, and were the main reason I recommended Bowden last time around:

SAMFORD:

1986 (pre-Bowden): 3-6

1987 (Bowden's 1st year): 9-1

AUBURN:

1992 (pre-Bowden): 5-5-1

1993 (Bowden's first year): 11-0

Big name recognition, history of turning programs around, head coaching experience out the wazzoo... Perfect hire for the Zips.

Listening to sports talk on the radio at lunch, it occurred to me that the AKRON ZIPS now have a more respected and successful head coach than the CLEVELAND BROWNS.

It's amazing the depths that Mike Holmgren has taken the Browns to with just three moves: 1) Keeping Mangini for a wasted year, 2) insisting on drafting Colt McCoy (another wasted year and pick), and 3) hiring Pat Shurmur.

On the other hand, as ITZ notes, this is one of the biggest days and hires in Akron U history. Every other school that hired a coach this year is now scratching their heads, wondering how Akron pulled off the coup of the century. Welcome, Terry, and please do plan to make this a permanent home.

Listening to sports talk on the radio at lunch, it occurred to me that the AKRON ZIPS now have a more respected and successful head coach than the CLEVELAND BROWNS.

It's amazing the depths that Mike Holmgren has taken the Browns to with just three moves: 1) Keeping Mangini for a wasted year, 2) insisting on drafting Colt McCoy (another wasted year and pick), and 3) hiring Pat Shurmur.

On the other hand, as ITZ notes, this is one of the biggest days and hires in Akron U history. Every other school that hired a coach this year is now scratching their heads, wondering how Akron pulled off the coup of the century. Welcome, Terry, and please do plan to make this a permanent home.

Are you kidding? McCoy was a 3rd round pick! That kid is not as bad as the media is making him out to be.

The turnarounds tell me that he's a guy who can get the most out of an underperforming group. He doesn't need to wait to get three recruiting classes of "his guys" in order to win. You figure out what your strengths and weaknesses are and adapt your playcalling to fit.

AMEN, brother!!!! THAT is what a quality coach DOES. And NEO fans haven't seen that mentality either at UA or in Cleveland.....well, maybe EVER. All the new coaches come in with their "excuses" of why they CAN'T WIN NOW. It usually involves a "stall tactic" labeled "I'm getting MY GUYS." Well that's just BS.

As a wise coach once said, I'll beat you with my team....and then I'll trade sides with you, and I'll beat you with YOUR team.

Winners win. Losers make excuses and talk about a fictional "process."

I'm freakin' giddy about this hire.

I never thought we could get a coach like him. For the first time in a long time, I'm excited about the Zips again. Quick turnaround is the key and he is a quick turnaround guy.

Today is a good day to be a Zip.

You said it. I can't stop smiling.

I'm still not getting my hopes up for a great year. Sticking to my expectations of a couple wins, to be fair to Mr. Bowden. He's inheriting a bad team. I'm still very hopeful :)

if he is able to double iCoach's win total (overall) in his first season, which i think could be entirely possible, Ill be happy. not expected MAC championship, but at least significant signs of progress

Are you kidding? McCoy was a 3rd round pick! That kid is not as bad as the media is making him out to be.

I can't stand the McCoy bashing. People don't realize that the the Browns lead the NFL in drops, and the o-line is terrible. Not to mention prima donna Hillis in the backfield and first season in a new offense, he had to learn without a proper preseason. How many QB's would do well in the scenario? Not many especially one in only his first full season...

McCoy still stinks. And don't think that Holmgren/Heckert/Shurmur don't know it, either. No way is he QB of the team next year.

Only wish we could send Shurmur packing, too. How embarrassing for the Browns that Akron now has a better coach. The lowest-ranked D-1 college in America has a better coach. Anyone else questioning Big Show's antics?

There is one thing some of you are going to have to get used to. Bowden is a JUCO guy and he will bring good ones to Akron. OU turned their program around with JUCO guys Solich brought in from Okahomaand that part of the country. Please don't think this program is going to get turned around with frosh from NE Ohio high schools. Without JUCO guys, we are looking at another five year "building process" and Bowden is the type of guy who has no interest in a "building process". He wants to win and win right away. He will get JUCO guys to help him do that. I say bring them in. We need to start winning and winning soon.

Amen, GP1. I had no problem with Clayton Moore coming in--heck, I don't care WHERE the players come from, as long as they can contribute. Of course, should've known that any Ianello recruit was gonna be a mess.

We're about to see how a football leader LEADS his players to levels they've never tapped into. And having a packed stadium will help get their adrenaline flowing. I seriously doubt we'll ever see a FG try, trailing 40-0, or a 2-pt. conversion try when a PAT would've won the game. Zips fans have sat in stunned, mystified, dumbfoundedness for two years, wondering what in the world are we watching?

There is one thing some of you are going to have to get used to. Bowden is a JUCO guy and he will bring good ones to Akron. OU turned their program around with JUCO guys Solich brought in from Okahomaand that part of the country. Please don't think this program is going to get turned around with frosh from NE Ohio high schools. Without JUCO guys, we are looking at another five year "building process" and Bowden is the type of guy who has no interest in a "building process". He wants to win and win right away. He will get JUCO guys to help him do that. I say bring them in. We need to start winning and winning soon.

Solich went the four year recruit route, not heavily Juco. The university never would have allowed it.

Solich went the four year recruit route, not heavily Juco. The university never would have allowed it.

Were not both Boo and the other QB transfers? Aren't several Linemen and DB's JUCO transfers?

We're about to see how a football leader LEADS his players to levels they've never tapped into. And having a packed stadium will help get their adrenaline flowing. I seriously doubt we'll ever see a FG try, trailing 40-0, or a 2-pt. conversion try when a PAT would've won the game. Zips fans have sat in stunned, mystified, dumbfoundedness for two years, wondering what in the world are we watching?

While I think we can get a lot of butts in the seats in due time, I dont think the hiring of Bowden is going to automatically put butts in the seats the way a "Tressel effect" would. The average football fan may be familiar with Terry Bowden, however, the student, alumni, etc who isn't that big into football isnt going to have the same name recognition with Bowden that you would get with Tressel.

I look for an immediate spike in attendance, just don't expect to have a packed stadium until he produces some results.

OU Roster

Compare past to starters and you will see more JUCO at OU than most MAC schools.

OU Roster

Compare past to starters and you will see more JUCO at OU than most MAC schools.

I'm trying to stay with you on this one.

How is comparing "past to starters" going to help me "see more JUCOs at OU than most MAC schools"?

Wouldn't it be better to compare the rosters of the various MAC teams?

I agree 100%. If Bowden can come in and win with JUCO's right off the bat it brings legitimacy to the program. The better Ohio hs players will be far more likely to come here. That is how we will build sustained success.