How the SEC Came to Rule College Football

We've had many discussions regarding the shift of power in college football, and I thought that with an ex-SEC coach now at the helm (and one who is quoted a few times in the article) this topic deserved its own thread. It's written basically from a Nebraska Cornhusker perspective. I figure this makes it a reasonably objective viewpoint, and I think it comes across this way.

Link

Spot on article. Thanks for posting JZ84.

Watching the old Peach Bowl last night was a good example of the differences in conferences. Virginia is a well coached, good team, but they were overwhelmed by an average 4th place SEC West team in Auburn playing with their #2 QB. Specifically, the author doesn't point out where on defense SEC schools are better, but the answer is on the defensive line. It isn't as apparent during a conference game, but when the SEC plays out of conference, it is obvious how much better their defensive lines are than the offensive lines they play against. Their lines are both big AND fast. The same thing happened to Wake against both Vandy and Miss. State more recently. Look at how bad second place SEC East South Carolina kicked ACC Champion Clemson's butt the last game of the season.

Another thing the author doesn't point out is the toughness SEC kids play with. The toughest of the tough go play and start in the SEC. It's the ultimate proving ground. The others go to hide in other conferences where they can listen to people blather on about "winning on and off the field". SEC players are there to play football. The competition created through oversigning enhances the toughness because it is a kill or be killed environment. Mississippi and now LSU have QBs from Big Ten country because these kids want to test their ability against the best of the best. They want to play against good teams almost every week, not 2-3 times a year with 8-9 guaranteed wins in between. Will they be tough enough is the question now.

I'm interested to see how the existing Zips and future Zips respond to this type of mentality. TB isn't going to change for the kids at Akron. He sees the world as an SEC coach and I think that is great. I worked for a Berkshire Hathaway company once and the guy who ran our division came in and said, "We are going to change the people, or we are going to change the people." Things are going to change quickly at Akron. Will the existing players be ready for the change? Will the fans be ready for the change? Will the local media be ready for an adult approach to Akron football? How will the media handle a media savvy coach? We are about to learn a lot here in the next 1-2 years. What are we willing to do as fans, players and media to have real success at Akron? Do we have the will to be successful or are we going to be another NE Ohio sports team/fan base more comfortable with the endless cycle of bitching about losing than winning?

It's a big boys and girls world now with Zips football and I am excited about the future. Sorry to go on, but this article should have sparked some thought about Zips football and not just the SEC with all of us.

Go Zips!

The SEC came to rule by practicing the legal, yet unethical procedure known as over signing. An extra 5 or so players a year means a whole extra recruiting class every 5 years! Its a disservice to the student-athletes who end up getting their scholarships revoked. Lets not act like the SEC ever cared about academics anyways.

The SEC came to rule by practicing the legal, yet unethical procedure known as over signing. An extra 5 or so players a year means a whole extra recruiting class every 5 years! Its a disservice to the student-athletes who end up getting their scholarships revoked. Lets not act like the SEC ever cared about academics anyways.

+1

There are lots of reasons why the SEC is good and the article points them out.

It's a disservice only if the player is at the school for the education that particular school has to offer. Most aren't. We can question whether or not the players and their families understand the contract they sign with the school when they sign (I think most aren't capable of understanding a complex legal document and it wouldn't matter if they did because you can't negotiate the deal.), but it is in writing that the scholarships are not for four or five years and only one year deals.

How the player gets cut is where the question of ethics comes into play. Lots of assistant coaches at SEC schools know coaches at lower level schools and will notify them they are about the cut a player. I would bet our new coach got lots of calls like that during his time in DII. Once the word is out, the player can have a soft landing somewhere his talents can get him on the field. I happen to think that most kids just want to play in games. Keeping a kid on scholarship who isn't going to do anything on the field is just as unethical as keeping an employee employed who isn't helping the company. Letting the kid go is the best thing they can do for most if the goal is to play in games.

Oversigning is exactly the type of foresightful move that has put the SEC at the top. Instead of limiting it, the other conferences should embrace it. In the long run, it is better for everyone involved.

Oversigning is exactly the type of foresightful move that has put the SEC at the top. Instead of limiting it, the other conferences should embrace it. In the long run, it is better for everyone involved.

Other conferences don't embrace it because it isn't a right thing to do. At the bottom of the point about it, it states that the SEC is going to do something about it, because they are finally realizing what a dirty move it is. It would be better for the schools, not the student-athletes who are going there to get a free education. Believe it or not, a small percentage of players play football beyond college.

The SEC pays more than the other conferences. That really helps. Just be sure to make the check out to the parents and make sure the athletes say they didn't know about it and all is well.

They are also very good at never self reporting and then stonewalling the NCAA the entire way through an investigation.

Also be sure to be like Alabama and find the way to sign the equal of 7 recruiting classes over a 5 year period. Then just cut the guys that aren't good enough.

The SEC pays more than the other conferences. That really helps. Just be sure to make the check out to the parents and make sure the athletes say they didn't know about it and all is well.

They are also very good at never self reporting and then stonewalling the NCAA the entire way through an investigation.

Also be sure to be like Alabama and find the way to sign the equal of 7 recruiting classes over a 5 year period. Then just cut the guys that aren't good enough.

Were those 1st 2 paragraphs about the SEC or OSU? :lol:

Exactly! The Big 10 just isn't as good at the cheating as the SEC is. Let's not ever assume that the Big 10 teams don't engage in ugliness and cheating much less than SEC schools. Hell, MAC schools probably frequently engage in cheating too but on a smaller scale.

As usual the sad people have to bring up OSU. Stop being so angry.

I'm neither sad, nor angry. I just enjoy some good irony when i see it.

The sad part is, during the past year during scandals at Miami and Penn State who are always the first people to rip on them? OSU fans. Irony at it's core. Worry about your own problems before you start pointing fingers at other programs. Just an FYI, Urban Meyer doesn't automatically make you good. Just remember Teblow is coming with him.

OSUcks

The sad part is, during the past year during scandals at Miami and Penn State who are always the first people to rip on them? OSU fans. Irony at it's core. Worry about your own problems before you start pointing fingers at other programs. Just an FYI, Urban Meyer doesn't automatically make you good. Just remember Teblow is coming with him.

OSUcks

It's awesome that you visit every teams fans sites to see who the first one to talk about it was. You must have a lot of free time. Try getting a job.

Seeing that you compare free tats to child rape, you will need to forgive me for not giving you credit for a wonderful post.

Osucks. Golly that is funny and original. I don't recall saying anything about urban Meyer. Perhaps your hatred and immaturity causes you to see things.

Please share with me where it is. Here as an Akron fan I missed it.

I can see it, I beleive OSU is the most unethical school in the FBS. I also agree with GP1, SEC teams generally will assist a student athlete find a new home if their talent doesn't meet expectations, as long as they are in good standing with the school.

Please share with me where it is. Here as an Akron fan I missed it.

I can see it, I beleive OSU is the most unethical school in the FBS. I also agree with GP1, SEC teams generally will assist a student athlete find a new home if their talent doesn't meet expectations, as long as they are in good standing with the school.

Still not sure where the irony comes in. I don't know what the hell OSU has to do with this.

I'm laughing at your most unethical statement. Literally laughing.

You are 100% clueless.

Still not sure where the irony comes in. I don't know what the hell OSU has to do with this.

I'm laughing at your most unethical statement. Literally laughing.

You are 100% clueless.

Name another school that tried harder to hide their violations, It took months to pry it out of them. You sir, are the fool.

Name another school that tried harder to hide their violations, It took months to pry it out of them. You sir, are the fool.

I don't know if you heard but there was a big thing that happened over at PSU about a decade ago that all came to light a few months ago. Look, I'm not much of a OSU fan, but let's be realistic they're not anything that's above and beyond the rest of major college football.

I don't know if you heard but there was a big thing that happened over at PSU about a decade ago that all came to light a few months ago. Look, I'm not much of a OSU fan, but let's be realistic they're not anything that's above and beyond the rest of major college football.

I understand, and agree. However, there were a whole lot more people involved at OSU, and when it finally came out, they fought tooth and nail to keep out all of the details.

I beleive only 4-5 people at PSU were privy to that information.

Like I said, clueless. OSU self reported everything once the FBI investigation ended. They were ordered by the FBI to remain silent during a federal investigation. You need to learn the real facts, not the media presented facts. You need to stop getting your information from ESPiN. If they didn't report they would have gotten much more punishment than they received.

Tressel was the one that hid it. Not the whole school like your ignorance says.

More than half of the SEC over signs and then cuts players. Lots and lots of rumors of paycheck at the SEC schools. This isn't coming from OSU fans by the way.

Cam Newton gets bought and paid for by Auburn, Oregon is currently in huge trouble, USC is in huge trouble, Miami is in huge trouble, UNC is in trouble. All of those school fought tooth and nail to hide their crap. OSU self reports and you call them unethical. LOL at you.

You need to learn facts and stop being another hating fool. You are flat out making a fool out of yourself.

I so much enjoy reading stuff from haters like you that only read the media headlines and then think they know what's going on. It makes you look like a true fool.

Now carry on and go ahead and get the last word. I am 100% sure it will be wrong anyway.