Zips vs Ou

taxpayer

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baltic seems to have improved a lot from last year. This is going to be a tight one all the way. By the way, congrats to the Lady Zips beating the Flashes this afternoon.

Hold it, I typed Flashes and it stayed. Can't, Can't State, just testing to see if the board rules were modified. Guess just Flash. :)

congrats to the Lady Zips beating the Flashes this afternoon

:eek: I think W bball v. Can't has been our most dominated matchup in history. What does that make the series score now, 3-55? Great job, ladies...what would the wagon wheel standings be now for 2011-12 if it was in effect?

Glad we got the win but that was a sloppy, sloppy ending. Zeke had a nice game but sullied it a little with the silly technical at the end. MAC East is going to be a bitch. At least everybody has to play everybody else. 3-0 is a nice place to be right now.

At the end of the day, the better team won. Ohio came out with the gameplan of...if we can't defend them, just foul them. I was disappointed with the end of the game but really it's a learning process. I'm sure KD wasn't happy and will make sure they don't let it happen again. I'm not trying to say Q didn't deserve the T, but really that cueball on OU's sideline was screaming at the refs the whole game. He didn't get a T, but Q says one thing and does? Oh well it's over and done. I was not very impressed with anyone on their team and it shows that we are by far the best team in the MAC.

btw, Bobby Bowden tweeted a pic from Terry at the game. Anyone see him there? funny I never saw Ianello and any sporting event other than football. And in reality that's the one place I didn't want to see him. I know it's been said a million times already. But it feels good to have a coach that really cares about our school while he's here!!

At the end of the day, the better team won. Ohio came out with the gameplan of...if we can't defend them, just foul them. I was disappointed with the end of the game but really it's a learning process. I'm sure KD wasn't happy and will make sure they don't let it happen again. I'm not trying to say Q didn't deserve the T, but really that cueball on OU's sideline was screaming at the refs the whole game. He didn't get a T, but Q says one thing and does? Oh well it's over and done. I was not very impressed with anyone on their team and it shows that we are by far the best team in the MAC.

btw, Bobby Bowden tweeted a pic from Terry at the game. Anyone see him there? funny I never saw Ianello and any sporting event other than football. And in reality that's the one place I didn't want to see him. I know it's been said a million times already. But it feels good to have a coach that really cares about our school while he's here!!

I used to see icoach at all the rifle home matches. Let's see when bcoach does that.

That T on Zeke was ridiculous. Cooper had no business getting into Zeke's stomach (too short to get into his face) after apparently giving him a cheap shot in the back on the foul. Q didn't need to say what he said, but Groce was running his mouth the whole freaking game, going ballistic at the end, and never got T'd up.

That being said, it was nice to see the bad officiating go our way for once. Haha. I feel like Zeke changed the game with his presence alone. Q had some prime shots. Harney had a very nice game. Treadwell had a solid day on the boards, as usual. Nitro finally had a breakout game, nailing some shots. Abreu and Nik had some stupid plays, but overall had decent games. I like Gilliam out there. He doesn't contribute much on the stat sheet, but he brings hustle and and exciting game with his athleticism. Walsh is just smooth. Very fun to watch him play.

I really hate that school. It is so sweet to beat them. Not impressed with anyone on that team. Baltic seemed to be a very improved player since last year, but he doesn't have that take-over ability. Taylor might be a great player in a few years, but his inexperience shows.

3-0 in the MAC. Buffalo cannot be overlooked with the Can't game looming next Saturday. LET'S GO ZIPS!

We made a great choice with Bowden as a coach. I was at the game today and watched Coach Bowden cheering on the zips like a true fan. Thats what we need in Akron.

Big win. I had a feeling we would pull it out all along, we were playing pretty sloppy and still hung around, trailing by 4 or 6 most of the game. Once we got our crap together, voila.

Which brings me to my next point...This team isn't the Browns, the Cavs, etc... It's okay to be optimistic and know they're going to win ;)

AKRON

# STARTERS MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS

02 WALSH, Brian 28 1-6 1-3 2-2 2 5 7 0 0 0 0 2 5

11 ABREU, Alex 31 2-5 1-4 0-0 0 2 2 1 1 0 5 2 5

13 CVETINOVIC, Nikola 23 2-8 0-1 4-6 1 2 3 3 0 0 1 4 8

23 GILLIAM, Chauncey 11 0-0 0-0 2-2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2

44 MARSHALL, Zeke 30 5-7 0-0 7-11 1 5 6 2 0 3 4 5 17

The chart does not align properly, but Zeke had one of his best nights ever.

We made a great choice with Bowden as a coach. I was at the game today and watched Coach Bowden cheering on the zips like a true fan. Thats what we need in Akron.

Can't believe we couldn't get him courtside seats though! The picture tweeted was from the upper level, c'mon TW if Lebron can sit courtside Bowden def deserves it too! Even I've gotten to sit courtside and I'm not very significant in the sports world. Unless a few division and city championships in my middle and high school years count lol

Just back from the game. If this one doesn't take things to a new level with the rivalry I don't know what will. This is getting to be as heated as the Can't games.

Love that the Zips made me look good with the smack I've been talking on OU. Not at all impressed with the Bobcats. If you're patient and don't fold under their pressure D you can get anything you want against them. Their frontcourt is probably the worst in the East. Harney and Tree would start for them. Heck, Egner and C.J. Oldham would probably see major minutes on that team. Their only recourse inside was to try and muscle Zeke, Nik, Tree and Harney off their spots, but the refs weren't going for it at all. Don't even get me started on Cooper. Most selfish player in the MAC. Here is a guy shooting sub-40% from the field, something like 25% from 3 and he's taking contested shots all over the court. I think Frenchie stated on the postgame that DJ went something like 2-15 tonight. That isn't a PG, that is a selfish ball hog.

As for our guys, can't say enough about Zeke's performance. He fought hard for position in the post all night, and was rewarded with the calls (for once in his career). Harney was a game changer in the minutes he had, and Tree was an absolute terror on the boards. Alex had a rough night, but managed to hit a few key shots down the stretch. Not sure what is up with Q. I have no idea why he feels the need to get a word in every time things get chippy. Keep your mouth shut and go work on your FT shooting Q. It was nice to see Nitro step up and have a solid game as well.

3-0 in the MAC. If we can somehow steal a win against Buffalo and hold serve at home against Can't.....

Random thoughts:

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there was an unidentified new kid warming up with the team. We couldn't find his name anywhere. Supposedly he is a replacement on the roster for Green, but he is definitely a smaller guy. I heard that they just found him playing basketball at the rec or something.

I hadn't been following OU this year, but has Cooper been playing like that all year? He did not impress me at all tonight. Not the same kid who has been giving us nightmares the past couple years.

Hey and how about the return of Willy Kollman to Akron basketball games? Doesn't it feel like everything is right with the world again?

I think the ROWDIES really got into the players' heads tonight. They were not having it at all. The first guy who fouled out was staring at us and I swore he was going to come over and take some of us out.

Also if you're going to give me a bunch of balloons, you better not take them away, that's just mean.

After the game, Hilltopper and I were discussing over dinner at a local restaurant the bad old days of long scoring droughts and the fall off in skills when the subs came in.

No more. It doesn't even matter to me any more which 5 of the top 9 Zips players are on the court at any given time. They're all contributors in some way, whether scoring points, dishing off, rebounding, playing D. I can't imagine all 9 of these guys being so cold from the field that they couldn't find a way to score.

It's a different kind of Zips basketball from what we're used to seeing. Yeah, they still make some of the same old mistakes, and they also make some creative new mistakes.

But they have the talent and physical ability to offset mistakes with brilliant plays.

There's never been any doubt in my mind that this edition of the Zips basketball team would be more entertaining to watch than any in recent memory.

Most importantly, in their first 3 conference contests they've demonstrated the ability to do whatever is necessary to close out close games.

I'm a happy Zips basketball fan right now.

OK...so let me clear the air about the T Zeke got....when Cooper pushed him in his back "really hard" at that...Zeke turned around and said to him..."man you don't need to do that"..and that is when Cooper got up in Zeke's BELLY...and made some smart comment and Zeke said.."lets not do that"...threw the ball down and walked away and the refs found it necessary to give Zeke a tech.

As far as Q is concerned...I don't know what happened there...but in his defense...he was probably just defending his teammate!

OK...so let me clear the air about the T Zeke got....when Cooper pushed him in his back "really hard" at that...Zeke turned around and said to him..."man you don't need to do that"..and that is when Cooper got up in Zeke's BELLY...and made some smart comment and Zeke said.."lets not do that"...threw the ball down and walked away and the refs found it necessary to give Zeke a tech.

As far as Q is concerned...I don't know what happened there...but in his defense...he was probably just defending his teammate!

Yeah I'm not upset with the Q tech...that ref seemed a little whistle happy, and Q was just getting his teammate's back (not that he needed to lol). Now if it was a 2 point game, I may have a different opinion.