Conference Re-Alignment?

K-Roo

Cle-Ak market is bigger than Orlando and New Orleans.

OK I can kinda buy that. Houston,DFW,Philly are far larger than anything around here. If somebody thought a team in any college sport from the CAK-CLE market would have been lucrative that team(s) would have been reeled in long ago.

There is no media market that makes any of the MAJOR sports teams at K.S.U or Akron attractive to any conference. OSU is still the dominant team in this area like it or not.Toledo might be attractive for football because they win and are in the Detroit market. NIU might be attractive in football because they win and are in the Chicago market.

What I fear is that many teams in the MAC or Sunbelt for example may have some choices to make among bad alternatives when the music stops.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a GREAT sign that the MAC has stayed stable thus far. Lost Temple, but gained UMASS. I know, I know its UMASS. But they were actually a top FCS program. Other smaller conferences have done worse.. I'd really like them to join in all sports though, especially basketball.

I do not really see any MAC program getting targeted for what they see in terms of potential revenue gained. Like you said, there really isnt a team who dominates and also owns a large market. I just hope no programs are dumb enough to leave for another mid-major. We are showing potential.

NMSU and Western Kentucky to C-USA now.

I wish the MAC would do something. While I understand that they've benefited by staying out of all this, it was mostly blind luck that pushed them up to where they are now. They're having a good run at the right time, but there's no guarantee that it will stay that way. Make a move while the college sports world is swirling down the toilet, with the offer of stability and identity - two things that very few conferences can say they have.

Taking Marshall back solidifies the MAC's position as being ahead of C-USA, which puts us ahead of the Sunbelt by proxy.

NMSU and Western Kentucky to C-USA now.

I wish the MAC would do something. While I understand that they've benefited by staying out of all this, it was mostly blind luck that pushed them up to where they are now. They're having a good run at the right time, but there's no guarantee that it will stay that way. Make a move while the college sports world is swirling down the toilet, with the offer of stability and identity - two things that very few conferences can say they have.

Taking Marshall back solidifies the MAC's position as being ahead of C-USA, which puts us ahead of the Sunbelt by proxy.

What do you suggest the MAC do? I could see Marshall, much like Cinci, being reluctant to ever come back to the MAC due to the "holier than thou" attitude they probably have from already getting out of the MAC.

What do you suggest the MAC do? I could see Marshall, much like Cinci, being reluctant to ever come back to the MAC due to the "holier than thou" attitude they probably have from already getting out of the MAC.

Marshall left because they saw that the grass was greener. At that time, C-USA was ECU, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, UCF, Memphis, Tulane, Southern Miss, UAB, and Rice.

UCF, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, ECU, and Southern Miss have left for the Big East. Those schools have been replaced by what is essentially the old Sun Belt.

The MAC is better than what they are left with. They'll go where the grass is greener, just like they did before.

They can boot a few teams like Eastern Michigan or Bowling Green, which really do nothing for the conference because they are below average or average at athletics and they are in small town markets with no real room to grow. I think the MAC would look pretty attractive by keeping the upper 2/3 of the conference and going after a few of the decent programs left that are looking for stability.

A school like UMASS is not going to step down in basketball to come to the MAC. Theah school is hoping it can do what Temple did and move to what was regarded as a better football conference. Temple is likely hoping that since it is in the Philly market and in the Big East they will be able to land in a better spot than if they were still in the MAC.

Rutgers is usually a pretty solid program. I mean their coach did just go to Tampa Bay last year. You dont do that by sucking.

It was a very smart move by Maryland, financially. They athletic department is already in a lot of debt, and had to cut 7 sports this past year because of it. Joining the B1G and the revenue split from the B1G is allowing them to bring these programs back.

Iowa's coach is getting looked at because he is a good coach who can coach pro offenses very well. I think they just finished the season with three wins. Rutgers has had one BCS appearance. It is the exact number as Wake Forest. If that passes for solid, I'd like to know what passes for bad. Rutgers coach is in the NFL because of his experience in the NFL along with that at Rutgers. He went 8-13 in his last three years at Rutgers in BE play.

Financially, the move may make sense for Maryland...for now...or, it may not. ADs have a way of saying things and no reporter ever takes the time to see if they are full of crap or not so it becomes the truth. I don't see how Maryland will be successful in the Big Ten in football. These conference moves are being made for football because it is the one sport that can slow down the hemorrhaging of money these idiotic ADs have caused at schools. Maryland will actually become worse at football than they currently are. If they can't fill their stadium, it negatively impacts a direct revenue stream for the ongoing building processes these ADs undertake annually.

There's something to your argument, but you lose me at "viewership." The Big Ten isn't adding these teams for "viewership." They're adding these teams because they're in markets (read: states) which don't currently have the Big Ten Network. Adding new states to the mix adds "subscribership" .. I don't really think they're into viewership as much as subscribership. Fans will demand the BTN if their teams are all on that network, the cable systems will ultimately capitulate, and millions of other people in the state who don't care for the turtle will be paying the BTN a $ or 2 per month since they live in MD and have a TV.

Your assumption is there will be enough people demanding the BT Network that local cable companies will be forced to pick it up. I would argue there won't be enough people who care enough about those teams to make a difference. More people will complain about a rate increase than fall for it. How many people are going to call up and demand to reach in their pockets and pull out money to sit at home and watch a horrible Maryland football team get beaten by the likes of Northwestern, Iowa and Minnesota? How many Maryland fans are going to do the same to watch the Terps play Iowa in lieu of UNC, Duke, NCState, etc in basketball.

Here is a good article about the move.

The AD at Maryland, already basically proven to be horrible at his job.......... One might even say he is the Wistrcill of the ACC....... Anyhow, the AD at Maryland is making this move and making a wish that it will all work out. My mother always told me, "Make a wish or $#!+ in your hat. See which one fills up first." It doesn't matter though, because the AD will be at another job and not have to live his mistakes. What few fans Maryland has will not have that luxury.

PS. I think our good friend, Dave In Green, wrote the second to last paragraph of the above article and I would like to congratulate him for getting published.

Meanwhile, Denver has abandoned the WAC and joined the Summit League.

I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but what seems to me the most amazing eventuality (well, San Diego St. in the Big East...? :rolleyes: ) was announced yesterday: Grand Canyon University has been welcomed into the WAC! Not only is this the first time a university has moved directly from D-2 to Bowl Championship Subdivision (though, frankly, I don't know if they even have a football team), Grand Canyon becomes the first for-profit university to compete in major college sports. The majority of Grand Canyon's student body exists in cyberspace, and completes coursework on-line. That's amazing! CGU moves up from the Pac West Conference, which includes Hawaii Pacific, Hawaii-Hilo, Chaminade, BYU-Hawaii and even more nondescript institutions like Cal Baptist and Academy of Arts University. Maybe they'll be in the 2016 Orange Bowl. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but what seems to me the most amazing eventuality (well, San Diego St. in the Big East...? :rolleyes: ) was announced yesterday: Grand Canyon University has been welcomed into the WAC! Not only is this the first time a university has moved directly from D-2 to Bowl Championship Subdivision (though, frankly, I don't know if they even have a football team), Grand Canyon becomes the first for-profit university to compete in major college sports. The majority of Grand Canyon's student body exists in cyberspace, and completes coursework on-line. That's amazing! CGU moves up from the Pac West Conference, which includes Hawaii Pacific, Hawaii-Hilo, Chaminade, BYU-Hawaii and even more nondescript institutions like Cal Baptist and Academy of Arts University. Maybe they'll be in the 2016 Orange Bowl. :rolleyes:

WOOOW. These conferences are getting really desperate. Glad the MAC isnt in their position.

..... PS. I think our good friend, Dave In Green, wrote the second to last paragraph of the above article and I would like to congratulate him for getting published.

Thanks for thinking of me. :wave: But they didn't need my help. It's too obvious that there are enough pros and cons on both sides of the typical sports debate to produce supporters and detractors regardless of the decision made. That's why sports forums are such great places to share thoughtful opinions. :D

The Empire State building is lit up in red in support of Rutgers. I think the NY market may care just a little bit.

People from Manhattan don't go to Rutgers games because it is so hard to get there.

The Duke Energy building in Charlotte lights up as well. For a small fee, you can have your colors put on the building for a short period. Don't let yourself get carried away by a building being lit up for a few minutes while a TV crew films it for a couple of promo shots on ESPN.

Grand Canyon University in Phoenix plans to join the Western Athletic Conference in the 2013-14 academic year. College sports fans are able to buy stock in the Division I program — has risen almost $2 on the Nasdaq since Tuesday (ticker is LOPE).

It warms my heart to see there are conferences out there actively trying to become worse than the MAC. Sometimes it pays off to not do anything and watch the competition destroy itself.