Conference Re-Alignment?

K-Roo

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anyone on this board who still thinks moving to the BE is a good idea?

I stopped hearing Big East whispers coming out of UA several months ago. There was a time when it may have made sense. But it has turned into the most volatile conference of all. If the seven basketball-first members are able to vote as a block to dissolve the conference, take the name and basketball contracts with them to a new conference, and attract a few other quality basketball-first schools, they could rebuild the Big East into a basketball power again. Since UA is committed to football, that potential new Big East conference wouldn't work if it ever happens.

Who can honestly say they'd rather be playing Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, and Bowling Green on a weekly basis instead of teams like Cincy, UCF, and Houston.

+1

Agreed 100%. Nothing spells "irrelevant" to Joe Akron and non-alum local OSU honks more than directional Michigans, Buffalo, and BUGS all over our schedule.

Take the top half of the MAC (with regard to overall sports performance and facilities) and the remaining Big East football schools, then you have something worth being a part of. It would likely be a drastic improvement for all parties involved as well.

+1

Agreed 100%. Nothing spells "irrelevant" to Joe Akron and non-alum local OSU honks more than directional Michigans, Buffalo, and BUGS all over our schedule.

Take the top half of the MAC (with regard to overall sports performance and facilities) and the remaining Big East football schools, then you have something worth being a part of. It would likely be a drastic improvement for all parties involved as well.

I agree, but where would that leave us, Sun Belt?

+1

Exactly. At least the schools in the Big East carry some weight, and are located in big markets than can get us exposure. I doubt that many casual fans actually look forward to the Zips playing their conference games.

I agree, but where would that leave us, Sun Belt?

Even with football being as bad as it has been the past three seasons, I think we are still worthy to be included. Consider that we are the best in soccer and a national power, top-2 annually in basketball, MACC in tennis, nationally-ranked in rifle, and top of the league in track. Cross country, baseball, softball, golf, swimming, and WBB are all reasonably competitive. We have the best facilities in the MAC for most sports (not basketball or baseball), and a conference upgrade would likely only improve recruiting too.

Even with football being as bad as it has been the past three seasons, I think we are still worthy to be included. Consider that we are the best in soccer and a national power, top-2 annually in basketball, MACC in tennis, nationally-ranked in rifle, and top of the league in track. Cross country, baseball, softball, golf, swimming, and WBB are all reasonably competitive. We have the best facilities in the MAC for most sports (not basketball or baseball), and a conference upgrade would likely only improve recruiting too.

nobody cares about anything but football. Thats just how it is. Football is where the money is.

And I cannot believe people are actually wanting to defend the joke of a conference that is the Big East. They will cease to exist before long, and we would be stuck nowhere, or in a conference worse than the MAC. Sorry, but UCF, Houston, and Cinci arent anywhere close to making people saw "WOW", either. We are talking about two former MAC teams in that example, if you remember.

Tell that to Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, and Arizona. And as the recent conference moves have demonstrated, media market is more important than on-field/court performance anyhow.

0 conference re-alignment moves have been made with basketball being the biggest interest. Im not sure our basketball program would be wanted anyways. We have not beaten a ranked team since we have been D-1.

Who can honestly say they'd rather be playing Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, and Bowling Green on a weekly basis instead of teams like Cincy, UCF, and Houston.

To you and all the +1ers, I can only say....There isn't going to be a Big East you fools. That's the whole point. For years, we had to read about joining a conference we had no business in. Recently, there have still been posters who believe it would be a good idea.

Please let this be the end of the Akron joining the BE discussion. It isn't going to happen because the BE is about to call Dr. Kevorkian. The league has been on life support for a couple of years now and was not an attractive candidate for an AD with half a brain.

0 conference re-alignment moves have been made with basketball being the biggest interest. Im not sure our basketball program would be wanted anyways. We have not beaten a ranked team since we have been D-1.

I never said any of the moves were driven by basketball. I just stated that football wasn't the only thing that drives realignment.

And I'm not talking about leaving the MAC to join the Big East. I'm talking about the best of the MAC and the Big East merging. And yes, that would be a tremendous upgrade! Can you imagine having UConn and Cincy visiting the JAR for conference basketball game or UConn vs. Akron in soccer?!

To you and all the +1ers, I can only say....There isn't going to be a Big East you fools. That's the whole point. For years, we had to read about joining a conference we had no business in. Recently, there have still been posters who believe it would be a good idea.

Please let this be the end of the Akron joining the BE discussion. It isn't going to happen because the BE is about to call Dr. Kevorkian. The league has been on life support for a couple of years now and was not an attractive candidate for an AD with half a brain.

I know. Meaning there are going to be some high quality schools like UConn and Cincy looking for a new home.

I know. Meaning there are going to be some high quality schools like UConn and Cincy looking for a new home.

No doubt. I still believe there is still an outside chance of the MAC getting one of the two...because it seems nobody else wants them.

However, I would only see them joining in football (ala UMASS)

No doubt. I still believe there is still an outside chance of the MAC getting one of the two...because it seems nobody else wants them.

However, I would only see them joining in football (ala UMASS)

Yeah, imagine a new conference with NIU, SIU, Marshall, Cincy, UConn, UMass, Temple, UCF, USF, Memphis, Houston, Tulane, Akron, Ohio, Can't (sorry, they are worthy), and Toledo. 16 members with two divisions (North and South or East and West) from mostly mid-west and east coast schools and essentially the same status as the BCS mega-conferences. This is a win for all schools involved!

Yeah, imagine a new conference with NIU, SIU, Marshall, Cincy, UConn, UMass, Temple, UCF, USF, Memphis, Houston, Tulane, Akron, Ohio, Can't (sorry, they are worthy), and Toledo. 16 members with two divisions (North and South or East and West) from mostly mid-west and east coast schools and essentially the same status as the BCS mega-conferences. This is a win for all schools involved!

I think Akron is more likely to end up in the Big 12.

So you recommend staying in the MAC until the end of time and just have us all accept that UA athletics won't even ever be a big deal in its own city?

Why not be a member of various conferences depending on our ability? For example, we should be in the MAC for football. However, our basketball team is good enough to play in a better conference like the A10. We should be exploring these opportunities.

Why not be a member of various conferences depending on our ability? For example, we should be in the MAC for football. However, our basketball team is good enough to play in a better conference like the A10. We should be exploring these opportunities.

then we'd never make the tourney.