Outstanding article on Big Zeke

Great read. It's a shame there are still people who stereotype him as a dumb jock. I had the pleasure of chatting with Zeke a year or so ago on the Roo. He is very well spoken and I agree with what was said earlier about him being raised right. Well done Mama Zeke!

Unintended, off topic discussion begins....NOW

University of Akron big man Zeke Marshall towers above students waiting to cross High Street near the Polsky Building on campus on Tuesday, March, 5, 2012, in Akron, Ohio. (Phil Masturzo/Akron Beacon Journal)

But seriously, if you dig this article, respond on the Ohio.com comment section and drop an email to ABJ. We've been missing out on these types of stories FOR YEARS.

Props to George and the Beacon on this insightful work.

One of the best articles I've had the pleasure of reading in a very, very long time.

Thank you, George. Excellent work.

@GameChngr44, have you had a chance to meet George Thomas? After talking with him, I'm not at all surprised at the quality of this story. GT is a smart reporter with a fun sense of humor. I think you'd really like him.

One thing this story made me consider is whether or not Zeke has ever had a chance to talk with any professional basketball players who had other professional careers open to them beyond basketball, i.e. smart, studious types whose lives didn't revolve 100% around basketball, but were talented enough to play in the NBA.

I would think that Zeke could get some good words of advice from someone like a Tim Duncan, who's not only a great NBA player but is also a studious type who earned a college degree in psychology with honors. Duncan also likes to play video games, so maybe Zeke could give him some advice on that. ;)

Trying to be be a normal guy, while also being a 7-foot tall basketball player, is something not too many people can relate to. My son has hit him up for a couple pictures over the years, and he has always obliged, and with a big smile too. #44 is a great representative for all aspects of being a student athlete, and a great role model for any kid. Very cerebral, humble and genuinely good person. And he loves beating K.e.n.t., too. He's the total package. B)

OMG...I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this article!!!!! It is sooo cool to see him in class and walking to class. WOW! how cool!

That picture is an eye opener for me. As someone who has only ever seen Zeke on the BB court, where everyone is big, to see him next to "standard" sized people is quite amazing:

HE IS ONE BIG SON OF A GUN.

:wave: Very nice article. I met Zeke at the ND game in the hallway of the hotel. He was with his mother. I asked if I could shake his hand and he took my hand. He was such a gentleman. Now I am 5 foot so I was really really looking up. He smiled and was so very nice. Mom brought him up right that is for sure.

GO ZIPS BEAT Can't!

Thanks for the compliments. Of course, I expect the verbal bricks to be thrown when approprate. :D

awesome article... really shines a brief light into the life of a full time college athlete. I share the same major with Zeke and its really cool running into him between classes in the Polsky building. Very friendly and laid back individual, but as the article showed hes very driven and well-spoken too. We're very fortunate to have someone of his ability and personality on our campus. Sucks those stereotypes are out there, but they inevitably will and you have to just move past them.

Hoping for a good Zeke performance tonight. We could certainly use it!