Zeke

t900442

Despite all of the Zip's returning talent next year, they are destined to a runner-up finish to OU in the MAC and another NIT bid unless Zeke can step up his game. Yes, he is obviously a great kid, has shown improvement each year, and at times can be a game-changer with his shot-blocking skills, but for the Zips to be a true top 25 team. we need him to play with emotion and desire. Throughout the MAC season and tournament, he showed flashes of how he can be a dominating player as long as things are going well, but too often after a questionable foul call, a bad pass or turnover, or just getting out-muscled for a rebound, the head shaking starts and the play deteriorates. This was understandable as a young freshman and sophomore, but it can no long be blamed on his youth and inexperience after playing almost 100 games through 3 seasons. Some of Zeke's inconsistency and lack of development must be blamed on the Zips' coaching staff. When Dambrot states that he has to take Zeke aside and personally work with him (as he did a couple weeks ago), you have to question how much benefit a 5 ft 8" head coach is going to be able to provide him as opposed to a "big man" assistent coach like Jeff Boales. Let's hope that Zeke's apparent desire to be a NBA draftee following his senior year will motivate him to play at the level of consistency that this team needs to take them deep into the NCAA tourney next year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree that Zeke's continued development is a key for next season, I respectfully disagree with most of your other analysis.

First basketball-related-- Zeke isn't the typical guy who started playing a lot of ball as a kid and focusing his life in that direction. He has said he kind of got steered into playing competitively a lot later than most players after people just expected that a kid his size belonged on the court. In high school, his size alone allowed him to dominate, but he didn't arrive in Akron with the kind of honed skills most D-1 recruits already possess. And it showed, just as KD said that it would. He's had to learn on the fly, and he's gotten better, bit by bit, every year. I credit him as a person and KD and the coaching staff for that, and I'm not willing to concede that his progress has been hindered by poor coaching. In fact, I'd argue just the opposite. I'm not at all in doubt that Zeke's senior season will be his best and that he'll continue to be a primary reason the Zips will be one of the favorites for the MACC and a team with a chance to make a post-season run.

Second, only partially basketball-related-- Zeke says chose Akron because of the school and the overall environment as much he did to play basketball. Does he want to help the Zips win? Heck yeah. But he also wants a degree in computer science. From everything I've heard, he's thriving in the classroom and enjoying his experience as a student. As fans, I understand that a lot of us don't really care about that. But as an alum of UA, I'm nearly just as proud that Zeke is getting it done in the classroom as I am that he's helped us win quite a few basketball games. And I'm really glad for him and his family that he'll be leaving Akron with something far more useful than just memories. And with the coaches' help, he might even have developed enough of a game to get a serious look at the next level. Whatever his future holds, I expect Zeke Marshall will leave Akron with the same love for the school most of us here have because of the tremendous impact it has made on our lives. And, bottom-line, that's what college athletics is supposed to be all about.

Anyway, my two cents.

While I agree that Zeke's continued development is a key for next season, I respectfully disagree with most of your other analysis.

First basketball-related-- Zeke isn't the typical guy who started playing a lot of ball as a kid and focusing his life in that direction. He has said he kind of got steered into playing competitively a lot later than most players after people just expected that a kid his size belonged on the court. In high school, his size alone allowed him to dominate, but he didn't arrive in Akron with the kind of honed skills most D-1 recruits already possess. And it showed, just as KD said that it would. He's had to learn on the fly, and he's gotten better, bit by bit, every year. I credit him as a person and KD and the coaching staff for that, and I'm not willing to concede that his progress has been hindered by poor coaching. In fact, I'd argue just the opposite. I'm not at all in doubt that Zeke's senior season will be his best and that he'll continue to be a primary reason the Zips will be one of the favorites for the MACC and a team with a chance to make a post-season run.

Second, only partially basketball-related-- Zeke says chose Akron because of the school and the overall environment as much he did to play basketball. Does he want to help the Zips win? Heck yeah. But he also wants a degree in computer science. From everything I've heard, he's thriving in the classroom and enjoying his experience as a student. As fans, I understand that a lot of us don't really care about that. But as an alum of UA, I'm nearly just as proud that Zeke is getting it done in the classroom as I am that he's helped us win quite a few basketball games. And I'm really glad for him and his family that he'll be leaving Akron with something far more useful than just memories. And with the coaches' help, he might even have developed enough of a game to get a serious look at the next level. Whatever his future holds, I expect Zeke Marshall will leave Akron with the same love for the school most of us here have because of the tremendous impact it has made on our lives. And, bottom-line, that's what college athletics is supposed to be all about.

Anyway, my two cents.

I only have a short comment here.

I think it's fair to say that most people on here predicted 3 years ago that Zeke would dominate the MAC. And I'd guess that the majority of the people who felt that way were also guessing it would happen long before he had played in 90+ games.

He's now almost down to the last couple dozen or so games in his career. So, I hope he realizes that if he is ever going to resemble anything close to the type of dominant player that most people predicted we would see, RIGHT NOW would be a good time to turn up the desire to be a great player.

I think it's fair to say that most people on here predicted 3 years ago that Zeke would dominate the MAC. And I'd guess that the majority of the people who felt that way were also guessing it would happen long before he had played in 90+ games.

He's now almost down to the last couple dozen or so games in his career. So, I hope he realizes that if he is ever going to resemble anything close to the type of dominant player that most people predicted we would see, RIGHT NOW would be a good time to turn up the desire to be a great player.

While he hasn't exactly dominated (with the exception of last year's MAC tournament and some spurts here and there), he's nevertheless made a significant impact. Without him, we don't win the MAC tourney a year ago, and we don't win the regular season this year. We sure as heck don't beat Can't and Justin Green three times.

And it's not unusual that fans had such high expectations for Zeke. I sure did, and for that matter I still do. But it's worth noting that KD pretty much told us what to expect from day one, and what he said then has pretty much panned out exactly as he stated. Maybe we just didn't want to hear it. And maybe some folks are still so caught up in what they imagined Zeke's impact would be that we take for granted the impact that he has already had, which has been substantial.

But you're right, skip... tonight would be a GREAT time for Zeke to make his presence felt! :thumb:

:wave: Zeke and the rest of the team could turn up the heat tonight. It really will come down to who wants the game badly enough to give everything they have and then more. Sometimes you have to give until it hurts and you cannot give anymore. Boy you watch those #1 seeds play and oh my it is like their guts are hanging out. I really applaud them as I do our great team

Now is the time, JUST DO IT!

:champs:

While he hasn't exactly dominated (with the exception of last year's MAC tournament and some spurts here and there), he's nevertheless made a significant impact. Without him, we don't win the MAC tourney a year ago, and we don't win the regular season this year. We sure as heck don't beat Can't and Justin Green three times.

And it's not unusual that fans had such high expectations for Zeke. I sure did, and for that matter I still do. But it's worth noting that KD pretty much told us what to expect from day one, and what he said then has pretty much panned out exactly as he stated. Maybe we just didn't want to hear it. And maybe some folks are still so caught up in what they imagined Zeke's impact would be that we take for granted the impact that he has already had, which has been substantial.

But you're right, skip... tonight would be a GREAT time for Zeke to make his presence felt! :thumb:

Good post.

And yes....by saying NOW.....I guess I meant TONIGHT !!!! :rock:

So lets see, since he has been here:

Three straight championship appearances

One conference championship

One NCAA

One NIT

20+ games each year

And you don't think he is a dominant player?

So lets see, since he has been here:

Three straight championship appearances

One conference championship

One NCAA

One NIT

20+ games each year

And you don't think he is a dominant player?

The same could be said for Kyle Peterson. Except he has 2 NCAA + 4 straight championship appearances.

Kyle "The Dominator" Peterson

Since Zeke is a coordinated 7-foot-tall player with hops, he came to the MAC with the physical tools to be a dominant player. But he didn't come to UA with a lot of basketball experience compared with many college players who've been playing the game since they were little kids. So it was always unrealistic to think he'd be dominant in his freshman season. He was still too raw.

Beyond physical attributes and experience comes the will and determination required to be a dominant player. Some college players are totally focused on basketball, and see that as their only chance to earn a lot of money in their professional careers. It was always unrealistic to think that a computer nerd who happened to play some basketball on the side would be totally focused on basketball.

With all that, Zeke was the dominant defensive player in the MAC in his third season, and earned MAC defensive player of the year honors for it. He's one of the top 10 shot blockers in the country, and is on track to break the MAC career record for blocks. That's about as dominant as you can be in the MAC at the defensive end of the court.

And while he was criticized early for not doing much on the offensive end, Zeke moved his offensive game up a notch this season and led the Zips in scoring. So while not dominant at the offensive end, he's improved his offensive game substantially.

Fact is, Zeke has steadily improved all aspects of his game every season, and he can be expected to do so again next season as a senior. By the end of next season he will be ranked as one of the best college centers in the country on defense, and may well lead his team in scoring again as he did this season. He will also get his degree with good grades and be fully capable of getting a good-paying job in the computer industry, if he so chooses.

As long as Zeke is satisfied that he is accomplishing what he wants on the basketball court, we should all be happy for him and happy for all the good things he's done and will continue to do for the Zips.

Since Zeke is a coordinated 7-foot-tall player with hops, he came to the MAC with the physical tools to be a dominant player. But he didn't come to UA with a lot of basketball experience compared with many college players who've been playing the game since they were little kids. So it was always unrealistic to think he'd be dominant in his freshman season. He was still too raw.

Beyond physical attributes and experience comes the will and determination required to be a dominant player. Some college players are totally focused on basketball, and see that as their only chance to earn a lot of money in their professional careers. It was always unrealistic to think that a computer nerd who happened to play some basketball on the side would be totally focused on basketball.

With all that, Zeke was the dominant defensive player in the MAC in his third season, and earned MAC defensive player of the year honors for it. He's one of the top 10 shot blockers in the country, and is on track to break the MAC career record for blocks. That's about as dominant as you can be in the MAC at the defensive end of the court.

And while he was criticized early for not doing much on the offensive end, Zeke moved his offensive game up a notch this season and led the Zips in scoring. So while not dominant at the offensive end, he's improved his offensive game substantially.

Fact is, Zeke has steadily improved all aspects of his game every season, and he can be expected to do so again next season as a senior. By the end of next season he will be ranked as one of the best college centers in the country on defense, and may well lead his team in scoring again as he did this season. He will also get his degree with good grades and be fully capable of getting a good-paying job in the computer industry, if he so chooses.

As long as Zeke is satisfied that he is accomplishing what he wants on the basketball court, we should all be happy for him and happy for all the good things he's done and will continue to do for the Zips.

Couldn't have said it better, Dave. :thumb:

Zeke is a good player and anyone can see that by just watching the game. Zeke can greatly improve his game if he can use his sky hook effectively over both shoulders. Also the only thing I would suggest for Zeke to become a dominant player is attack the glass harder and just become a high energy player. That's what I think everyone should expect from Zeke next year just pick up the energy on the glass and work on just using the hook over both shoulders and he will become a dominant big man. Zeke I think will do that and people see 7 ft and just think he should have a stat line of 20 Pts 20 reb 15 blocks. Zeke just keep working hard and listen to your coaches and I think you will be fine.

Zeke is and always will be a victim of unrealistic expectations. Expectations were never really properly managed for him. Reminds me a bit of the 2000 presidential debates when Carl Rove and his staff lowered the expectations for George W. so much that they could legitimately have claimed victory if he was simply able to stand at the podium without soiling himself for the duration of the night. That should have been the approach with Zeke from day one. Instead he was thrust into this role of program changer that he was never really cut out for. You take an 18 year old kid with only a couple of years of organized basetball under his belt, a diverse set of interests off the court and a rail thin build and ask him to carry an entire program on his shoulders and to dominate his entire conference from the get go and you are bound for disappointment. Would I like to see him scoring 18 a night, pulling down 8 boards, blocking 4.5 shots and leading the Zips to undefeated seasons? Of course, but that isn't realistic and it never was. Time to start facing the facts that, while Zeke can do a lot of good for the Zips, he isn't going to single handedly make us into the "Gonzaga of the East."

He will end his career as the all time leader in blocked shots. If there was a stat kept for altered shots, he would have blown any predecessors out of the water. I too would like to see Zeke be a little more aggressive on offense, etc., but the dude's been pretty good.

To prepare for 2012-13, here is what Zeke needs. This has been the top camp for NBA post prospects for a couple of generations, and while the legendary Pete Newell has gone to sit with Coach Wooden in the Land Beyond, it remains the best camp of its kind.

We can take donations here to pay the $1600 fee. Are you going to put him up at your place fro a few days? ;)

Zeke needs to decide this summer if he wants to be great, or pretty good. His 10 point, 6 rebound nights frustrate me because I know he could flat out dominate this conference if he decides he wants to.

Zeke is fine. 15 points 7 rebounds with 12:00 to play. Zeke needs touches. When his teammates get him the ball, he can be dominant. He cannot dominate without the ball.

2012-2013 will not depend on Zeke. He's going to average around 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 blocks per game. He'll dominate some games, he'll disappear in others. Zeke is what he is, Alex Abreu is going to be a stud and will be the leader of this team, Quincy Diggs will bring energy and scoring, and Brian Walsh is going to be a premier outside scoring threat. These things are givens to me.

These are the "X-Factors" for how far we go next season:

1) How much Demetrius Treadwell, Nick Harney, and Chauncey Gilliam improve from now until next November.

2) How much of an impact Carmelo Betancourt and/or Reggie McAdams have.