NCAA Tournament Opponent Wish List

I always have the greatest respect for the schools who go out and schedule some of the top teams in the country to prove their worth. Caleb has been doing that for a long time. Yet, he doesn't seem to get the benefits.

IF anyone else was at the basketball game tonight, you would have witnessed something pretty funny. The PA announcer told the crowd about the upcoming #5 seed in the soccer tournament, and the crowd BOOOOED. That's the way it should be. It's a continuation of a long history of Akron getting hosed.

My friend and I were at the basketball game having just come from the watch party at Johnny J's, and we were among those who booed.

Caleb's scheduling paid off in 2009 and 2010 when Akron had a representative on the Selection Committee. That shouldn't have to be the case. Either RPI means something or it doesn't. The NCAA is a sham. It's worth posting the MLS observation again...

The biggest controversy surrounding the brackets is the snubbing of Caleb Porter’s Akron. Despite boasting a 14-game winning streak in which they’ve allowed just one goal as well as a No. 2 overall RPI ranking, the Zips were handed the No. 5 seed – meaning they would have to travel to face UConn in a potential quarterfinal.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This excerpt from the MLS.com article perfectly articulates the slight that was given to us-- Allowing 1 goal in 14 games, WOW!

And that goal was on a rainy night against WVU where Meves slipped and fell, otherwise he stops it. Once again Zips, go out and show the NCAA what idiots they are.

Porter said all the right things.

Now if Tom Wistrcill, supposed Director of Athletics at The University of Akron, the leader of our progrums, is worth his salt he had better come out and defend his team. Let the NCAA Selection Committee have it Dan Gilbert style. Come out and say how disgusted he is with the overall situation. Say how it's a disgusting problem and from what he's finding out with basketball seeding, it’s even worse with soccer. Blast them about how until there's a new board and new leadership they can have their corrupt/disgusting NCAA that they've created. I feel encouraged that he will go to bat for UA, he is no pushover.

What about the Vice President For Strategic Engagement, Jim Tressel? He could strategically say something or would that risk future problems with his show cause? He has been engaged for strategery, use it. Hopefully he is familiar with Ayn Rand's essay on

? Maybe he is working on a multi-faceted approach to encourage and equip the soccer team to overcome this debacle. Call it "Operation Same Song, Different Dance." :puke:

Sarge,

So what did TW say he would do? He must have made some comment. What was his reaction to the #5 seed?

Ray Reid, UConn coach, is on selection committee. http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/Arti...-committee.aspx

The Big East games the system and this is what we have to deal with. Obviously, the BIg East places a high emphasis on soccer and will do what's in their best interest. I don't think the MAC cares all that much to make any improvements.

Should we be upset with the NCAA for giving powers to those who want it, or should we be upset with the MAC for being complacent with mediocrity. The MAC has some horrible leaders and it shows every year when our soccer and basketball programs get snubbed. It's a shame on us for not calling for their heads.

FAU needs to go, UMass should be forced out for football unless they bring all sports.

I get the Ayn Rand reference: The NCAA is a political organization.

That linked excerpt should be entitled altruism not compromise.

Yes, the NCAA is a political organization. Political organization is not what this exerpt is about. Excerpt regards the philosophy and morality of altruism.

I watched the linked excerpt again. I read the book decades ago. I own the paper back. The literature does not apply to this situation, of AU suffering abuse at the hands of the NCAA.

I'm so fed up with the MAC. What has the MAC done to improve itself over the past 10 years? The basketball and soccer teams will continue to get snubbed as long as the leaders in this conference continue to be complacent with mediocrity.

We do not live in a fair world and shouldn't expect fairness to be handed to us. Ray Reid picked the teams he's suppose to. The Big East cares about soccer, and they've rewarded themselves for its efforts.

The Big East hasn't won a title since 2000. Akron is a threat to the Big East's title hopes this year, of course we're going to get snubbed by them.

We are stuck in the MAC and there's nothing we can do to change that. What we can do is demand a higher standard from those that run this conference. The MAC needs to kick FAU out and force UMass in for all sports. ODU and James Madison would be great additions for all sports. The Colonial conference is sending 4 teams to the tournament this year.

I'm sick of seeing the MAC only send 1 team to the basketball and soccer tournaments every year.

I cannot help but think of the terrible offsides call against Creighton that turned our win in to a draw :puke:

What I dont understand is the NCAA bias in soccer. We have one of the best attendance records in college soccer. If they want to promote popularity and put asses in the seat, we are even more of an attractive team to give home field advantage to. I get it a little more with football where attendance jumps dramatically for the bigger schools but this makes absolutely no sense.

I cannot help but think of the terrible offside call against Creighton that turned our win in to a draw :puke:

What I don't understand is the NCAA bias in soccer. We have one of the best attendance records in college soccer. If they want to promote popularity and put asses in the seat, we are even more of an attractive team to give home field advantage to. I get it a little more with football where attendance jumps dramatically for the bigger schools but this makes absolutely no sense.

I doubt that the Creighton bad call or even if we had won at Notre Dame would have changed the outcome. The fix was in.

Two other outstanding soccer conferences (ACC and PAC-10) were screwed over along with the MAC. We ain't no Lone

Ranger. The NCAA is corrupt. It is up to the various Athletic Directors to band together and clean the NCAA house.

Nothing can be done about the seeding. Akron got screwed over pure and simple. Best thing to do is to win the cup and show the selection committee what a bunch of idiots they are. I think we will be ok. We need to focus on our first game against either Niagra or Michigan. I don't think U Conn will beat the winner of the Virginia New mexico game anyway.

Travel also plays a huge rule in the selection process. The NCAA places reduced travel costs as a higher priority than fairness. You have to feel bad for the teams that play in the western part of the US, their only ticket to the NCAA is through their conference tournament no matter how they perform during the regular season.

It's all about keeping costs low. Making $$$ is the #1 priority for the NCAA. Did the Big East pay money to get a spot on the selection committee? It's possible.

I'm so fed up with the MAC. What has the MAC done to improve itself over the past 10 years? The basketball and soccer teams will continue to get snubbed as long as the leaders in this conference continue to be complacent with mediocrity.

We do not live in a fair world and shouldn't expect fairness to be handed to us. Ray Reid picked the teams he's suppose to. The Big East cares about soccer, and they've rewarded themselves for its efforts.

The Big East hasn't won a title since 2000. Akron is a threat to the Big East's title hopes this year, of course we're going to get snubbed by them.

We are stuck in the MAC and there's nothing we can do to change that. What we can do is demand a higher standard from those that run this conference. The MAC needs to kick FAU out and force UMass in for all sports. ODU and James Madison would be great additions for all sports. The Colonial conference is sending 4 teams to the tournament this year.

I'm sick of seeing the MAC only send 1 team to the basketball and soccer tournaments every year.

The basketball and soccer teams are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum!

Snubbed from the appropriate tournament or not, the basketball team loses most big games in the OOC and then lays an egg in the NIT, CIT, or CBI EVERY YEAR. If we made a run in any of those tournaments, we'd have a right to complain, but we don't. We also don't fair well in the Bracket Buster because KD de-emphasizes this game by saying the only thing that matters is winning the MAC Tournament. The basketball team's only distinction is in the MAC regular season and tournament.

The soccer team is completely different. A perennial top-5 program that always wins the MACC regular and post-seasons and in down years makes runs into the NCAA round of sixteen. The recent National Championship and runner-up can also not be ignored nor our brutal OOC schedule, record against the Big Ten, and record against the Top 25.

This just fires me up something fierce. How can the NCAA justify putting UConn at a 4 seed?

Coaches Poll has them at #6 and RPI puts them at #7. Where do they get a #4 out of that?

Whereas Akron is #1 in the Coaches Poll and #2 in the RPI.... yet somehow that equates to a #5 seed?

I just want some justification.

Regardless, you play the hand you're dealt. I hope we go out and win convincingly 6-0 every game. Nothing says 'I told you so' to the NCAA more than a victory in the cup.

This just fires me up something fierce. How can the NCAA justify putting UConn at a 4 seed?

Coaches Poll has them at #6 and RPI puts them at #7. Where do they get a #4 out of that?

Whereas Akron is #1 in the Coaches Poll and #2 in the RPI.... yet somehow that equates to a #5 seed?

I just want some justification.

Regardless, you play the hand you're dealt. I hope we go out and win convincingly 6-0 every game. Nothing says 'I told you so' to the NCAA more than a victory in the cup.

Ray Reid, UConn coach, is on selection committee. http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/Arti...-committee.aspx

I doubt that the Creighton bad call or even if we had won at Notre Dame would have changed the outcome. The fix was in.

Two other outstanding soccer conferences (ACC and PAC-10) were screwed over along with the MAC. We ain't no Lone

Ranger. The NCAA is corrupt. It is up to the various Athletic Directors to band together and clean the NCAA house.

I'm pretty sure going 19-0-1 and beating ND and Creighton would have gotten us a top four seed...

We are a very dangerous and pissed-off #5 seed. First up - Michigan or Niagara. Won't matter - GO ZIPS!!!

This is why I'm almost (almost) somewhat happy with the seed...my one worry abot this team was complacency. Now every single player, coach, and staff member has a chip on their shoulder the size of Ohio. There is nothing more dangerous than a "fuck the world" attitude with talent to back it up.

This is why I'm almost (almost) somewhat happy with the seed...my one worry abot this team was complacency. Now every single player, coach, and staff member has a chip on their shoulder the size of Ohio. There is nothing more dangerous than a "fuck the world" attitude with talent to back it up.

+1000 :chair:

I sent this to the contact on the NCAA Men's College Soccer committee (not holding my breath for an response but I feel a little better now)

Ms. Keller,

As one of many angry Akron soccer fans, I would like an explanation how the University of Akron was given a #5 seed in this year’s NCAA Men's soccer tournament. As I look at your website, Akron is ranked number one in the coaches poll and number 2 in the RPI however when it came time to seed the teams and reward them with home field advantage for your NCAA tournament they were given a #5 seed.

Akron has ended their regular season by winning their last 14 games (giving up only ONE goal and posting 13 shut outs). They made it to the 3rd round of the NCAA tournament in 2011, WON the National Championship in 2010 and tied Virginia in the National Championship in 2009. In addition to all of this we have an incredibly loyal (and disappointed) fan base that consistently averages in the top 5 in attendance year after year. I realize past records do not dictate this years seedings but the point is that we are not a flash in the pan team.

How can you explain this? What is the point in having a coaches poll or a RPI ranking if the decisions will simply be made subjectively?

I would appreciate a response,

A Zips Fan