Zeke and the NBA Draft

Yet, he lacked an aggressive scoring move toward the basket against this lower level of competition. His 2 offensive rebounds per game had to stick out like a sore thumb also.

Excellent post in total.

I always believed Zeke would play professional basketball and I still believe he will play somewhere, just not the NBA.

After going to the CCU game last year, I was certain he would not play in the NBA because his ball handling skills were so suspect and that is what relates to your comment above. Zeke looks incredibly uncomfortable with the ball in his hands on the offensive end. That creates two problems:

1. He isn't a scorer. His lack of offensive ability would get him destroyed in the NBA. I never thought he was not an aggressive player. He was a player with limited offensive ability and it made him look non-aggressive.

2. This point is far worse than #1 I just made. It's one thing to have limited scoring ability; however, if a player is as uncomfortable with the ball as he is, he is a turnover waiting to happen at the NBA level. A player goes from not scoring to giving points away and that is completely unacceptable, especially at that level.

The real question is, why weren't his offensive skills better developed over the past four years?

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Rebounds in college translate better to both that particular stat in the NBA, and NBA-level athleticism."

-Kelly Dwyer in writing about 7-foot OKC Thunder draftee Steven Adams.

Linky

I always though Zeke should have averaged more rebounds than he did. Then I read the above quote. Maybe this is common knowledge in NBA scout circles?

Anyway, Big Z will make very good money playing somewhere. He's got a good life in front of him. If we all could be so blessed to play a game for a living.

P.s. Dru & Rome are both in town right now. Zeke should hook up with them & see how much they enjoy playing in Europe.

Excellent post in total.

I always believed Zeke would play professional basketball and I still believe he will play somewhere, just not the NBA.

After going to the CCU game last year, I was certain he would not play in the NBA because his ball handling skills were so suspect and that is what relates to your comment above. Zeke looks incredibly uncomfortable with the ball in his hands on the offensive end. That creates two problems:

1. He isn't a scorer. His lack of offensive ability would get him destroyed in the NBA. I never thought he was not an aggressive player. He was a player with limited offensive ability and it made him look non-aggressive.

2. This point is far worse than #1 I just made. It's one thing to have limited scoring ability; however, if a player is as uncomfortable with the ball as he is, he is a turnover waiting to happen at the NBA level. A player goes from not scoring to giving points away and that is completely unacceptable, especially at that level.

The real question is, why weren't his offensive skills better developed over the past four years?

By saying "ball handling skills", I am sure you are referring to his ability to hang on to a basketball, and not his dribbling.

I couldn't count the number of times a ball was knocked away from him, or taken away, surely contributing to lower rebounding and scoring numbers.

By saying "ball handling skills", I am sure you are referring to his ability to hang on to a basketball, and not his dribbling.

I couldn't count the number of times a ball was knocked away from him, or taken away, surely contributing to lower rebounding and scoring numbers.

There are perfectly reasonable explanations for this. For example, if one repeatedly grabs the ball too firmly so as not to have it knocked away that can result in carpal tunnel syndrome.

We've all seen that Zeke has strengths and weaknesses like everyone else, including every player in the NBA. If you focus on his weaknesses and assume that he can never learn to overcome those weaknesses, then you logically conclude that he can never have a successful NBA career. If you focus on his strengths and assume that he can learn to overcome his weaknesses, then you logically conclude that he can have a successful NBA career. It's really as simple as that.

There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? Zeke must dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

While everyone is discussing the problem/problems as they see it...let me give you the solution. ZipNation, NCAA Basketball, NBA all knew/know/have seen and constantly critique Zeke Marshall the college player...HOWEVER...when he hits the floor on June 7 @ 9am vs Houston he will introduce you, me and the NBA world to "EZEKIEL MARSHALL" THE PROFESSIONAL PLAYER! I know many of you won't get this analogy...just watch what happens!

Some mock drafters have good connections with NBA teams, and they tend to get it more right than those who don't.
I didn't have a chance to click on any of your many links to the mock drafts, can you save ZN time and post a link to the one that got it more "right?" Matt Rudnitsky writes that "expert" Chad Ford of ESPN didn't get one pick correct!?!? CBS's "draft expert", the same, zero right. Mock drafters know nothing. Spitballing at best.

@GameChngr44, I'm looking forward to watching all of Zeke's games via broadband streaming on my big screen. The package for all the Orlando and Las Vegas Summer League games is $14.99, with info at this link. If you have a fast enough internet connection, you can stream the games in full 720p (HDTV). Here's the main link to the NBA Summer League 2013 site. It has lots of info, including times and dates for every game. Zeke's first game will be 9 a.m. Sunday, July 7.

@Dr Z, you'll recall I previously said that most agreed this was going to be the most unpredictable draft in the last decade. So no surprise at the general lack of accuracy. This site ranked the accuracy of NBA mock drafts in both 2011 and 2012, and I'd expect them to do the same for 2013. It's a time-consuming job to do it right, and I see no need to spend many hours replicating this.

In all fairness to Zeke and several other quality players that did not get drafted there is a mechanism in the NBA that allows

teams to "select" European players that will never play in the NBA. This is done for several valid reasons. Some teams do not

need more players, or they are at their salary cap, etc. Better to take a European player than give opponents more ammo.

No team selects a European player thinking that they will never play in the NBA. They do it with the intent of using Europe as a de facto minor league for a couple years, while retaining the rights to the player. That doesn't work with American players, which is why they tend to get picked over.

No team selects a European player thinking that they will never play in the NBA. They do it with the intent of using Europe as a de facto minor league for a couple years, while retaining the rights to the player. That doesn't work with American players, which is why they tend to get picked over.

Why do you say that doesn't work with American players? Plenty of American players have been drafted and sent overseas. They're resistant to it, if that's what you meant, but it's still done.

An analysis of the accuracy of 2013 NBA mock drafts is now up. As predicted and expected, accuracy was down this year. Per usual, some were way more accurate than others. Even the best nail only about a half dozen picks, but are close on many others. So the best you can hope for is a rough approximation. Most impressive to me is David Kay, who was #1 the previous two drafts and #2 this year. That's pretty consistent, and suggests to me that if you only want to check one mock draft to get a rough idea of what might happen, Kay's thesportsbank.net mock may be the one to check.

Grading NBA Mock Drafts 2013 From Best To Worst

Why do you say that doesn't work with American players? Plenty of American players have been drafted and sent overseas. They're resistant to it, if that's what you meant, but it's still done.

An NBA team can't send a player overseas. With an American player, you either have to keep them on your roster, or you end up cutting them and losing the rights to them. Their not delaying going to the NBA because they prefer to play in Europe first. With European players, they usually want to stay overseas for a couple more years, which allows those teams to retain their rights for that time. You can save money, while developing a player that you may not currently have room for on your roster.

Zippyman23 unfortunately you are WRONG...when Stern negotiated the previous CBA (not the one they just signed) because it was his desire to take the NBA organization internationally, one of the contingencies that the owners agreed to, was drafting international players and leaving them overseas while sending American players, especially those drafted in the 2nd round either oversease or to the D League. This was done inorder to put the business of the NBA in the international market. With those international players...even though many of them will probably never actually play in the league, it gives the league an open door to that market....which is why if you do your research, you will find that MANY, MANY of those guys drafted last year and years before have yet to play in the NBA, but they are overseas.

It allows the teams to keep that players rights without having to pay them while all along establishing a foothold in the international market. That is why you now will see more and more teams doing those "international" tours. Yao Ming is the key embassadors for the Chinese market and that is also why you have the first INTERNATIONAL OWNER ( Nets owner from Russia).

Its all about marketing, expansion, money!!!! And FYI...I know all of this because I studied it in my Sports Management class.

Zippyman23 unfortunately you are WRONG...when Stern negotiated the previous CBA (not the one they just signed) because it was his desire to take the NBA organization internationally, one of the contingencies that the owners agreed to, was drafting international players and leaving them overseas while sending American players, especially those drafted in the 2nd round either oversease or to the D League. This was done inorder to put the business of the NBA in the international market. With those international players...even though many of them will probably never actually play in the league, it gives the league an open door to that market....which is why if you do your research, you will find that MANY, MANY of those guys drafted last year and years before have yet to play in the NBA, but they are overseas.

It allows the teams to keep that players rights without having to pay them while all along establishing a foothold in the international market. That is why you now will see more and more teams doing those "international" tours. Yao Ming is the key embassadors for the Chinese market and that is also why you have the first INTERNATIONAL OWNER ( Nets owner from Russia).

Its all about marketing, expansion, money!!!! And FYI...I know all of this because I studied it in my Sports Management class.

Nothing I wrote was wrong.

An NBA team can't send a player overseas. With an American player, you either have to keep them on your roster, or you end up cutting them and losing the rights to them. Their not delaying going to the NBA because they prefer to play in Europe first. With European players, they usually want to stay overseas for a couple more years, which allows those teams to retain their rights for that time. You can save money, while developing a player that you may not currently have room for on your roster.

@Zippyman23.... THAT ^^^^^is WHAT YOU SAID..correct??!! Like I said...YOUR STATEMENT IS WRONG!! I know because it was required for me to study in my SPORTS MANAGEMENT class which is what I have my degree in!!! Not that EVERYTHING you said was incorrect...but THAT STATEMENT that is bolded...which was quoted by YOU...is INCORRECT! Not only CAN a NBA team send an American player overseas...often times THEY DO...

If Thomas agrees to do that, yes.

@Legend of Zippy....though Zippyman23 is correct in part...the standard practice is that when a NBA team sends a player that 'they drafted' overseas....YES they do keep the rights to that player....it's the same thing with D-League players as well. For those players who are sent to the D-League by a NBA team, that team will have the rights to that player for the minimum of 3 years (which is the length of time for a rookie contract..with the 4th year being a team option year).

An NBA team cannot force a player to sign a contract with a foreign team, therefore the notion that an NBA team can send a player overseas is inaccurate. When an NBA team sends a player to NBDL, they are under contract with the NBA team and is taking up a roster spot. That is what gives the European players an edge. Again, nothing I wrote was wrong.

Exactly Big Zip...ALL ROOKIE CONTRACTS are for 3 years with the 4th year being a 'TEAM OPTION' year in which the team can decide whether or not they want to renew the players contract whether overseas or in the D-League.

And to @ZippyMan23 to prove my point here are some results of AMERICAN PLAYERS who were "STASHED" overseas by the teams who drafted them LAST YEAR!!

1. As predicted by Pat Riley, 2012 Heat draft pick Justin Hamilton will soon be stashed away in Europe... Riley mentioned “stashing” Hamilton in Europe after the draft and on Wednesday the second-round pick signed to play in Croatia with Cibonia Zagreb of the Adriatic League. Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/17/2954...l#storylink=cpy

2. Robbie Hummel - On June 28, 2012, Robbie Hummel was drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves with the 58th overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft. On August 8, 2012, Robbie Hummel signed a one-season contract with Blu:sens Monbús of Galicia in northwestern Spain.

3. Marcus Denmon - Denmon was drafted on June 28th, 2012 by the San Antonio Spurs with the 59th selection in the draft. On July 25, 2012, Denmon signed a one-year contract with the French Pro A League club Élan Chalon. On October 5, 2012, Denmon suffered a broken foot in the team's opening game against ASVEL Basket.[9] After undergoing surgery, Denmon returned to play on January 26, 2013 against JDA Dijon Basket.

Like I stated previously ZIPPYMAN23...your statement is WRONG...a NBA team CAN and HAVE and WILL send AMERICAN PLAYERS OVERSEAS!! These are just a few from the 2012 NBA DRAFT!