Zeke and the NBA Draft

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting that - nice video of Zeke's arrival although the author's comment that Zeke does not pack light I think was a little off since it appears he is pushing a cart with luggage for both he and the other player that arrived. Plus if you're seven feet tall, each piece of clothing will take of more room. :) Really nice to see him smiling though, hope he does really well there and can parlay it into something bigger. He will always be one of my favorite Zips, not just for his play but how he handled himself too. Class act (has the retire his number talk started yet? :))

Thanks for posting that - nice video of Zeke's arrival although the author's comment that Zeke does not pack light I think was a little off since it appears he is pushing a cart with luggage for both he and the other player that arrived. Plus if you're seven feet tall, each piece of clothing will take of more room. :) Really nice to see him smiling though, hope he does really well there and can parlay it into something bigger. He will always be one of my favorite Zips, not just for his play but how he handled himself too. Class act (has the retire his number talk started yet? :))

How did you arrive at the opinion Zeke is hauling the other guys luggage? It seems clear to me that he is carting most of his own luggage while Tay has Zeke's back pack and duffle bag.

• 2 weeks later...
That was a fast cut. Looking more and more as if Zeke's future is in computers.

Marshall, Jones, Radetic out, Bubalo in

Eerily similar to his summer league play.

Think of other lesser talented players who have had great basketball careers in Europe.

It's almost like Zeke is not really motivated to play and someone else is pushing him to do something he really doesn't want to do, but he is so close to the person who is pushing him and he doesn't want to crush that person's dream so he can't verbally express his true feelings to the pusher.

Hey, wait a minute. I'm supposed to be the resident Zeke optimist. @skip-zip can vouch for my credentials. :D But I no longer feel optimistic about Zeke's professional basketball career. If he can't get on the floor for a single minute against a friendly opponent for a middling Polish team before being released, what are his odds of making another Euro team? As I've said before, if you could transplant Tree's intensity and ferocity on the court into Zeke's body, you'd have an NBA star. Zeke has all the physical tools to play professional basketball, and he may have more passion for playing basketball now than his first few seasons at UA. But the level of desire and commitment required to play at the pro level just may not be sufficient.

If he wants to play, there will be other European options.

I agree. However, like DiG points out, it comes down to heart. Imagine falling from a prospective 1st round NBA pick to being cut by a second rate European team without even playing. And it is not like any of this is due to injury as may be the common case. Can you imagine the blow to one's ego? That is a lot for the most head strong person and it seems this is one of Zeke's biggest limiting factors. I hope he can get things turned around.

Could Zeke's body language and overall professionalism be telling scouts and coaches that he's not into it? I find it hard to believe that his talent and play is not sufficient to at least play in Europe.

:) Can't always believe what you read...

If you're saying that we shouldn't necessarily believe the report that Zeke was cut by the Polish team without ever getting a chance to play because they didn't think he could perform, and that there's more to the story that will turn out to be positive, then I'll be smiling like you. :) I want the best for Zeke and am trying desperately to be optimistic in the face of one punch in the gut after another. Please let us know what you can as soon as you can.

Idk, maybe by what would seem to be a long-shot now, he is getting a training camp invite? Surely there would be news about it.

So maybe they worked him out and didn't like what they saw...

However, it makes no sense that for the second time he didn't really get any playing time.

He has four years of experience against DI players, some of whom are playing in Europe and yes, even the NBA.

He has the skills to contribute in a game. But first he has to play.

None of this makes any sense.