Departing QBs

Zipmeister

With the way it's shaping up I think Easton will remain, making Franco the odd-man out.

If that happens, that should tell you that we're really starting to add some talent and depth to that position. Franco came here with some pretty good accolades. And if you go back about a year or so, I'd say that he would have been the one I was most looking forward to eventually rising to the top of the chart.

I think this is the key thing to think of...D'Orazzio was a HS QB now WR if I'm not mistaken.

D'Orazio was also the starting Free Safety, Kicker, Punter, and Gunner when he was in high school. I'm not surprised he is athletic enough to be successful at WR.

As far as I know, Franco just played QB.

Yeah if you're looking for position changes, QB probably isn't where you'll find them.

Maybe not in Franco's case, but I can think of quite a few HS QBs at Akron who were really successful at other positions.

This is actually very, very common. Coaches know that QBs are often among the most athletically gifted players on their respective HS teams, and converting these kinds of athletes to other positions is often pretty successful compared to other position changes.

• 4 weeks later...
This should come as no surprise, but Franco is transferring to IUP.

Not that I am happy to see anyone leave but when one of the players who was supposed to be one of the main recruits from a class leaves because he sees too much competition ahead of hm, that's probably not a bad thing. QB looks to be shaping up as a postion of strength for the next few years. In the MAC that's excellent news.

Not that I am happy to see anyone leave but when one of the players who was supposed to be one of the main recruits from a class leaves because he sees too much competition ahead of hm, that's probably not a bad thing. QB looks to be shaping up as a postion of strength for the next few years. In the MAC that's excellent news.

At any level of football that is excellent news. It is pretty simple. He isnt beating out Kyle Pohl. He isn't beating out Nick Hirschman. He isnt beating out Woodson. He wouldnt beat out Kincade. He had absolutely no chance of ever seeing the field here. I wish him luck, but you are right, we have a lot of talent filling in at the QB spot right now. That is a good problem to have.

Its pretty amazing when you look at the QB situation now compared to the Spring game.

I'd wait until camp starts to make any comparison. Right now it's Pohl and a bunch of unknowns. Might be good, might be just as bad as what we had in the spring, although that would be pretty difficult to do.

• 8 months later...