Former BYU RB Drew Phillips

Drew Phillips is coming to Akron.

Originally signed with BYU, before leaving for East Mississippi JC, and then College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita, CA. He is finishing up his classwork and will join the Zips for camp next week once he's through with that. Will have two years to play, and will be eligible immediately.

Drew went to Boaz HS in Alabama, same as Zips OC A.J. Milwee.

Here is a link to his JUCO highlights.

Here is his senior year in high school.

And junior year:

There are also highlights of him winning Alabama state championships in track on youtube, for those so inclined.

Forrest_3_Jenny_thumb.jpg -----> Run, Phillips, run!!!

This BYU board post seems to indicate PR and KR are his to lose. The only player I think can give him a run (heh heh) for these slots is Fransohn Bickley, although one would expect Drew to be more battle prepared for this level.

I'm a little curious as to why BYU pulled his scholly, but he sure looks like he can contribute immediately.

I'm a little curious as to why BYU pulled his scholly
The Salt Lake Tribune article on why Drew Phillips' scholarship was pulled

Here's what Mendenhall said Friday when asked about Phillips' situation by The Tribune:

"I will talk, I guess, about what I am allowed to talk about. So Drew is someone that struggled in his time here at BYU, just [with] kind of team policy, and consistency.At the end of the spring semester, Drew was notified that he would not have his scholarship renewed, but he would have a great chance to come back [depending on] if and when, and how he did in the summer school classes -- to pay his own way for a year, based on how that year went. He would then have a chance to rejoin us, on aid [after a year]. There was a letter sent to their home. Anytime we pull a scholarship, which we don't do very often, there is a letter sent. I think that was the end of July. That's when that was stated [that he didn't have a scholarship]. I am sorry he is not coming back.

That's probably as specific as I can get."

____Interviewed by his brother back in 2010

Originally offered by Central Michigan

40 time listed as 4.39 on Scout.com

I watched two minutes of his ten minute senior video. I've seen enough. Whatever it takes to get this kid, get him.

Great runner between the tackles and can make moves. Fast within three yards of the line after making his move. His feet never stop and he makes one quick move inside and is heading north and south very quickly. Exactly what is needed in the type of offense the Zips run. I've posted this before, but I'll repeat something Jerome Bettis once said, "If you try to run outside, you'll never get there. If you run inside, you'll get outside." Watch the video again thinking of those words.

This kid is a nice player. The off the field stuff? BYU is a hard place to live up to the student code of conduct. Hard to say what happened and we'll never know.

This BYU board post seems to indicate PR and KR are his to lose.

You gotta love this post. John R. Buchtel's great-great nephew chimes in:

I attended the U of Akron out of high school, joined the Church, went on a mission, went back to Akron, transfered to BYU for 3 years, wanted to be back with family and moved back to U of Akron, where I graduated 2 years later. My son just graduated from their law school in May and my great-great uncle founded the school. Go Zips!

:lol:

Forrest_3_Jenny_thumb.jpg -----> Run, Phillips, run!!!

This BYU board post seems to indicate PR and KR are his to lose. The only player I think can give him a run (heh heh) for these slots is Fransohn Bickley, although one would expect Drew to be more battle prepared for this level.

I'm a little curious as to why BYU pulled his scholly, but he sure looks like he can contribute immediately.

Let's see now, transferred to a jr. college....I'm guessing GRADES might have had something to do with it.

Let's see now, transferred to a jr. college....I'm guessing GRADES might have had something to do with it.

Or, he was caught with a co-ed under the bleachers of the stadium then was booted out of school and wanted to transfer but didn't want to sit out a year. It could also be a lot of little things that added up to one big thing and they decided to part ways. Hard to say at BYU. JUCO does not always equal bad grades.

Or, he was caught with a co-ed under the bleachers of the stadium then was booted out of school and wanted to transfer but didn't want to sit out a year. It could also be a lot of little things that added up to one big thing and they decided to part ways. Hard to say at BYU. JUCO does not always equal bad grades.

You are correct. 98.5% of the time is not 100% of the time.

I'm really excited about this kid. I love that he's busting big plays against college competition...not 11th graders.

He fills a huge need for us as a game-breaking return man.

In the backfield, does he remind me a bit of Brett Biggs? Not as thick, but he's a hard-running, north-south guy that gets to the endzone.

Well thank God it was a girl and not a boy. That makes all the difference in the world now doesn't it? :D

You are correct. 98.5% of the time is not 100% of the time.

Are you saying players transfer out of schools to JUCOs 98.5% of the time because they were caught with co-eds under the bleachers? I'd like a ruling from Dave in Green about this issue.