Michigan game thread

LZIp

Unfortunately, this is true. Let's not get into blaming the refs. We got close, but Michigan rose up. If Pohl gets what, one more second?, we win. It didn't happen. Let's hope we win Saturday and keep the momentum going.

Wisconsin could blame the refs too, but they should blame themselves for that game even being close.

They are blaming the refs. As they should. Of course that was a stupid play by the QB.

I am more upset about the respot and no first down. It cost us time and downs.

That rarely if ever happens. Then the time running made it worse.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It may have been a sign of confidence, actually, if TB is thinking we can stay with them another half and it might come down to a close game at the end. Put the points on the board now, especially since they gave us a bad spot and decreased our chances of a first down. Too bad we missed the FG.

The above post was in the context of why Bowden didn't go for the first down and instead opted to try the field goal toward the end of the first half.

I had the same thought as posted above. I actually saw Bowden's decision to go for 3 as a sign of confidence. He saw that we didn't have to gamble & run trick plays to stay in this game. We just had to play our game & go toe-to-toe with them.

For me, the respot and the failure to reset the clock from 15 back to 24 seconds are the most questionable calls. I guess you'd need to have access to all the high-quality, stop-action replays the officials reviewed to be able to make a fair assessment. They're not supposed to overrule the call on the field unless the video replay shows clear evidence. I still haven't heard a good explanation about why the clock wasn't reset to 24 seconds.

For me, the respot and the failure to reset the clock from 15 back to 24 seconds are the most questionable calls. I guess you'd need to have access to all the high-quality, stop-action replays the officials reviewed to be able to make a fair assessment. They're not supposed to overrule the call on the field unless the video replay shows clear evidence. I still haven't heard a good explanation about why the clock wasn't reset to 24 seconds.

Yep. That's what I have been saying all along.

Never, ever does the spot get adjusted unless it is a major change. 1/2 yard and costing a first down just does not happen.

I don't even think there was a challenge. The refs did it on their own.

You will never get the PI call on the final play on the road, but the series of calls starting with the PI on us that gave UM the lead was garbage. Then the hold call that put us in a first and 20 was a typical, the game is getting too close, let's make it harder.

Then, when we overcome it and get the first and goal at the one, what do you know, they review it, make it 3rd down and run off 9 seconds.

I want my 9 seconds and 1st and goal back!

Why even play the game if this is how the game will be called? Give us our check and let's just stay home...

If this nonsense happened to c-bus, Ann Arbor would still be on fire, and who could blame them.

That was my first time back to the big house since 1996. Back then, it wasn't really much of an environment, but with the upgrades over the past decade or so, it's become a pretty cool venue.

5 Quick hit thoughts:

• The Zips belonged: We will debate the end and what might have been until the Zips win one of these. But the controversies aside, my biggest takeaway Saturday was that the Football Zips belonged on the big stage. The sense watching the game, and backed up by the box score and replay was that the Zips went toe-to-toe with a B1G team on the road and more than held their own. Especially in the trenches, which is where these money games are usually lost, the Zips did very well. I was telling my UM buddy at the tailgate that in 3 sports (Soccer, Mens Hoops, and also now Women's Hoops), I believe the Zips can take the field against any team in the country and have a chance to win. They won't win every game certainly, but those 3 teams have grown to the level where they have a puncher's chance and in some cases can take it to the BCS school. It's been a long time since I felt I could say that about Zips FB. Heck, we haven't had the expectation that they could compete with CONFERENCE opponents, let alone top 25. Saturday was different. I hope it's evidence of progress and not a one time event.
  • Gotta make your breaks & take advantage: For the most part, the Zips did a great job of making their own breaks and taking advantage of them. The exception being clock management late in both halves. If time were managed a bit better in either end of half situation, we're all still hung-over from a huge victory. As it's game 15 of this regime, I imagine these things will continue to improve.
  • Next 9 games: Are all winnable games for these Zips. If they can do what they did Saturday, they can beat anyone on their remaining schedule. It will of course take the complete effort and execution we saw Saturday, but none of the remaining teams are as good as Michigan or even close.
  • The New Helmets: I really love the new lids. The use of the Z on a helmet has been a long time coming, and I dig the zipper stripe down the middle. My only real qualm about the design is the lighter blue inside the zipper .. don't really understand that. But anyway I think it's a really sharp look. FWIW the UM fans around us on Saturday agreed it was a cool look. Also dug the all white threads.
  • Advertising: There's not a single square inch of corporate advertising within the playing area of big house (meaning, concourses don't count in this comment). None. Not on scoreboards, press boxes, suites .. etc. None. There's basically 2 huge press towers, each a level or 2 bigger than the one at the Big Dialer, and they may go deeper into the endzone than ours. One contains the pressbox, media and coaches areas in addition to some club areas and suites. The other one, which is just as big, is ENTIRELY big $ seating, suites, clubs, loges. There's some serious coin to be pulled in when folks are willing to pay up for the upstairs perks. A similar albeit scaled down opportunity exists for UA if Terry can pull this ship around the corner.

Go Zips! Win the next 9.

P.S. The following was Watcher's View on Saturday:

post-2-1379349189_thumb.jpg

...I dig the zipper stripe down the middle. My only real qualm about the design is the lighter blue inside the zipper .
I liked the concept, but was disappointed with the execution. Light blue should be used in a baby's room, tissue commercial, feminine product ads, etc. The color needs a "meaner." Think dark. The Z is the right idea, but again, execution could be done better. Both easy fixes.

[*]The Zips belonged: We will debate the end and what might have been until the Zips win one of these. But the controversies aside, my biggest takeaway Saturday was that the Football Zips belonged on the big stage. The sense watching the game, and backed up by the box score and replay was that the Zips went toe-to-toe with a B1G team on the road and more than held their own. Especially in the trenches, which is where these money games are usually lost, the Zips did very well. I was telling my UM buddy at the tailgate that in 3 sports (Soccer, Mens Hoops, and also now Women's Hoops), I believe the Zips can take the field against any team in the country and have a chance to win. They won't win every game certainly, but those 3 teams have grown to the level where they have a puncher's chance and in some cases can take it to the BCS school. It's been a long time since I felt I could say that about Zips FB. Heck, we haven't had the expectation that they could compete with CONFERENCE opponents, let alone top 25. Saturday was different. I hope it's evidence of progress and not a one time event.

I'd like to add to this point a little. Had a long drive yesterday and spent some time talking with a former D-1 coach I know. Since I didn't get to see the Zips game, I wanted his opinion. He watched the entire second half and was very impressed with the team. Mostly, he felt the Bowden is the calming influence the Zips need right now and said the team was completely in control on the sidelines. Never once did the players or coaches panic. Said the Zips had an excellent defensive game plan and their performance was no fluke. Loves the RB transfer from BYU and our tall receiver (this guy is a fan of every tall receiver). Feels that when the QBs wheel is feeling better, he will be even better than on Saturday.

My biggest take away was his comment that Akron could easily win four games in the mac this season. They won't play a team that good the rest of they year and really should go into every game with the expectation of them winning. I know personally, my expectations for this team have changed in the past few days.

I wasn't in a panic after the cfu loss. cfu is a heck of a good team and we melted in the first game in the Florida. Happens to a lot of people. JMU was what it was. The team found something last week...I don't know if it is more practice together, the coaches opened up the playbook more, the players performed better or all of the above and then some, but something clicked last week. Let's just hope the click we heard wasn't them turning the switch to the off position because these kids can play. Now they have to win. This Saturday is a winnable game and the Zips need to go out and win.

I was on campus today and I ran into the team at about noon. They are pretty upbeat and high energy. No fans in the ticket office, however. Talk from people that have been on campus for a while is this game reminded some of Akron vs Wisconsin in 2003. Yep, some of you remember. Anyhow, talk it up and sell the Ragin Cajun game Zipsnation everywhere you can this week... the stadium needs to roar as the Zips enter the field prior to the game on Saturday.

Just received an e-mail from an old friend who at one point in his career was the Associated Press sports editor in Cleveland and really knows his football. He watched the game and said he's really impressed with what Coach Bowden has done with the Zips.

My wife was with a knitting group of older ladies who never talk about sports, and they were all talking about this game.

It really caught the attention of a lot of people across the country.

Just received an e-mail from an old friend who at one point in his career was the Associated Press sports editor in Cleveland and really knows his football. He watched the game and said he's really impressed with what Coach Bowden has done with the Zips.

My wife was with a knitting group of older ladies who never talk about sports, and they were all talking about this game.

It really caught the attention of a lot of people across the country.

Imagine if we won.

A bunch of NC State and Carolina fans were talking about it. Probably only because they knew I went to Akron, but whatever.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering...yes, State fans distinctly remember the upset in '05(?).

The win over NC State in Raleigh occurred in 2006. I was there. Loved it.

Loved the comment made during the post game call in show. "Folks, we have watched the final play on video tape forty-two

times and that kid scored every single time. State lost. Get over it."

Here are my Michigan game notes:

1) Akron's offensive line allowed no sacks - Grade B+

2) Pohl should be promoted from LT to LT General - Grade A

3) Akron had zero fumbles, running game good - Grade B+

4) Our receivers were in a zone - Grade A

5) All of Akron's defensive line two deep played great - Grade A

6) Linebackers were very very good - Grade A-

7) Secondary much improved - Grade B+

8) Special teams were effective despite missed long field goals - Grade B

9) Coaching Staff - Grade A

Spectacular game. I will be taking a red eye home at the end of this week just to see the Zips play the Ragin Cajun's this Saturday. Talked to some college age people about the new helmets and they love-em. Gumbo and some cold ones before the game this coming Saturday. Go Zips!

I like most of what you are saying here, but if you are going to give the D-Line an "A" and the Linebackers an "A-", which unit gets less-than-perfect grades for giving up 5.5 yards per carry on the ground to Michigan?

I was on campus today and I ran into the team at about noon. They are pretty upbeat and high energy. No fans in the ticket office, however. Talk from people that have been on campus for a while is this game reminded some of Akron vs Wisconsin in 2003. Yep, some of you remember. Anyhow, talk it up and sell the Ragin Cajun game Zipsnation everywhere you can this week... the stadium needs to roar as the Zips enter the field prior to the game on Saturday.

I hate to say it, but I think we're a long way away from fans showing up in large numbers. I hope I'm wrong. This is also a very good opponent, but I doubt the casual fans cares much. I'll predict a similar crowd, if not slightly smaller, from the opener.

Dave, this is what hurts so badly right now, which is the longevity of all of this.

That one yard will be the difference between the attention lasting a few days, and lasting for years.

Exactly. There will be close calls again this week, making those teams the flavor of the week. We need a win to keep local interest going though.

...if you are going to give the D-Line an "A" and the Linebackers an "A-", which unit gets less-than-perfect grades for giving up 5.5 yards per carry on the ground to Michigan?
Michigan's starting RB carried the ball 19 times and averaged 3.7 yards a carry (18 for 2.6). I can live with that. However, Michigan's QB ran the ball 10 times averaging 10 yards a carry, many on 3rd down, I can't live with that. While there were many missed tackles on those carries, I would think the staff would defend differently if we played them this week. On top of that Gardner is a great runner. So I can still accept those grades. While I haven't studied the tape, kudos to the secondary for the coverage that made Gardner pull the ball down and run. Although with his passing (lack of) skills, that should have been a pretty easy decision. If we complete that last pass, there would be no question on those grades.

Dave, this is what hurts so badly right now, which is the longevity of all of this.

That one yard will be the difference between the attention lasting a few days, and lasting for years.

Maybe.

In 2007, App State beats Michigan with Armanti Edwards as QB. This guy may or may not still play for the Panthers, but I'm too lazy to look into it today. Later that year they win the National Championship. Great win/season and one that conventional wisdom would tell us would catapult a program to a new level. I'm not a big fan of conventional wisdom myself because there are a lot of idiots in the world and conventional wisdom requires agreeing with a lot of idiots. Let's look at how this huge win for App State changed the program and produced greater things.

Link

As you can see from the link, the App State program has been in a state of decline since the win in 2007. Still a great Southern Conference team, but not a national championship since 2007 and not making it as far into the playoffs as they have in the past. A big win at Michigan didn't propel the program forward and was more of an indication of the great talent App State had that year.

Let's talk about the Zips. If the Zips would have won on Saturday and the program continues to improve over the next few years, many would say it was the win at Michigan that started the ball rolling. I don't think that would be the case. The Zips aren't a great team and have a lot of room for improvement. In my opinion, if this team takes great strides forward, it is the result of the day we hired Bowden as coach and all of the actions he took since that day, not a win on a single day.

This is why I believe a win this Saturday would be just as important as the Michigan win. It would prove to people we have the program going in the right direction. It would prove to recruits Akron can win games and make it more attractive to players who want to go to a school to win an not play in a new stadium. It would prove to the players on the team they should have confidence in themselves and their coaches AND they can rebound from adversity. It would prove to everyone Akron can fight at its weight class. Wins against BCS teams come and go. We've had them before and look where we are. It's the ability to win and sustain winning that matters and we really need to win this week because you can't sustain winning by pointing to a past win over Michigan. Winning is sustained by winning more, not past actions. We lost to Michigan and need to get over it so we can get this program moving in the right direction.

Go Zips!

Maybe.

In 2007, App State beats Michigan with Armanti Edwards as QB. This guy may or may not still play for the Panthers, but I'm too lazy to look into it today. Later that year they win the National Championship. Great win/season and one that conventional wisdom would tell us would catapult a program to a new level. I'm not a big fan of conventional wisdom myself because there are a lot of idiots in the world and conventional wisdom requires agreeing with a lot of idiots. Let's look at how this huge win for App State changed the program and produced greater things.

Link

As you can see from the link, the App State program has been in a state of decline since the win in 2007. Still a great Southern Conference team, but not a national championship since 2007 and not making it as far into the playoffs as they have in the past. A big win at Michigan didn't propel the program forward and was more of an indication of the great talent App State had that year.

Let's talk about the Zips. If the Zips would have won on Saturday and the program continues to improve over the next few years, many would say it was the win at Michigan that started the ball rolling. I don't think that would be the case. The Zips aren't a great team and have a lot of room for improvement. In my opinion, if this team takes great strides forward, it is the result of the day we hired Bowden as coach and all of the actions he took since that day, not a win on a single day.

This is why I believe a win this Saturday would be just as important as the Michigan win. It would prove to people we have the program going in the right direction. It would prove to recruits Akron can win games and make it more attractive to players who want to go to a school to win an not play in a new stadium. It would prove to the players on the team they should have confidence in themselves and their coaches AND they can rebound from adversity. It would prove to everyone Akron can fight at its weight class. Wins against BCS teams come and go. We've had them before and look where we are. It's the ability to win and sustain winning that matters and we really need to win this week because you can't sustain winning by pointing to a past win over Michigan. Winning is sustained by winning more, not past actions. We lost to Michigan and need to get over it so we can get this program moving in the right direction.

Go Zips!

+1 on this.

Go Zips!