Game#5 Bowling Green

lance99

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have a problem with the full house throw, but why on earth did Pohl try to throw it through two defenders? Hundley was wide open by the right pylon. I'm guessing Pohl can't make that throw (or worse, thinks he can't make that throw), which is troubling...

If we're not going for it on 4th and goal with inches to go in the fourth quarter, we don't deserve to win. Now we get to watch the gassed defense get picked apart for the next 5 minutes.

#BowdenBall

This loss in on the coaches. First time I've been disappointed with the staff.

Oh, it'd also be nice if Pohl threw it to a wide open Hundley on the 3rd and inches and we could tackle worth a shit.

Edit: would also be nice if our kicker could make a field goal that is shorter than an extra point.

These close games are starting to piss me off. Mainly because we are talented enough to win finally.

You have to be kidding me...throw with inches to go and the let Stein try a field goal? Why do we even have a field goal kicker...2 for 7? A friend of mine at the Michigan game (Michigan grad) said she was embarrassed for him at Michigan. He unfortunately isn't good....we need to go for it or punt.

I agree. That close, you go for it, especially if you are running an full house.

BGSU has better players than we do and would have won regardless. Here is what Bowden needs to do differently.

1. Stop force feeding the young receivers who are too small to get a yard after getting hit. I haven't seen such unproductive dancing since Eric Metcalf played for the Browns.

2. Feed the ball to the big WRs who are more physical and can get extra yards after being hit. I can't stand small WRs.

3. Our starting RB is as good as he is ever going to be. He is an average MAC RB. If there is a player who is equal in talent with more upside, start him.

4. Get better perimeter run support from safeties.

5. Be more decisive and stop trying to be cute. Stop with the pooch punts from the QB. Make commitments. If you want to punt, put your punter out and freaking punt already. He gets a scholarship to do that. The QB gets a scholarship to run the offense. Put players in a position to succeed by letting them do what they do best.

6. Give the QB more options on short yardage passes. I have no problem with throwing on third or fourth and two, just line up and execute a play that provides the QB with multiple options.

Again, the Zips were out playered today. BG is a better team and we played them at their place. Started out great, but you can only adjust with the available talent on the team. The Zips are still lacking in overall talent so after the flurry of punches we threw at BG early ended, the leaned on use with better players. We are like an over matched boxer. Our plan is to come out and get a quick KO. 14-3 is not a quick KO. When we don't get the KO, it is only a matter of time before the ability of the opponent with better talent wins the fight.

What I am encouraged by is the continued effort of the players. Keep your heads up and come back fighting next week.

5. Be more decisive and stop trying to be cute. Stop with the pooch punts from the QB. Make commitments. If you want to punt, put your punter out and freaking punt already. He gets a scholarship to do that. The QB gets a scholarship to run the offense. Put players in a position to succeed by letting them do what they do best.

Right. We shouldn't be trying to fool anybody unless it's with a fake punt. I know everybody is hating on Stein right now, but we were around the 35 on that failed QB punt. Let your kicker go for a field goal or have your punter punt. Absolutely nothing is gained by having your QB kick the ball, as it's likely a miscue (like today) or a touchback.

Three things come out of this game, IMO: (steps onto my soapbox)

At one point, we had our foot on their throats and could not finish them off. This is like the game a couple of years ago before the weather delay happened, then the wheels fall off. Which leads me to number two:

What was that at the end of the first half with the "net" one yard punt. I remember that happening one other time, and that was an Arizona State/ Arizona game from years ago. I could find people playing street ball with an Nerf football could punt farther than that! From that point on, it was all downhill. Which leads me to number three:

The defensive line did it's job, at least for a while. They got tired because of how long they were on the field. The offense did them no favors(see the third down with an Full House Backfield) however I lay blame on Mr Six Foot Nothin' himself, Terrell Buckley and here is why. I know that you got dealt an bad hand when you showed up, however, there is no excuse on how many over the middle passes that was given up. I know that that is not your actual coaching title, but at least with your deep experience, should have not only helped, but took over and came up with an plan.

This game was winnable, very winnable (steps off soapbox)

I now see others are complaining about the play calling and to some extent the execution of plays by the QB. Its been discussed on the site previously this season. Shouldn't be a surprise. Its a shame. Last weeks game should have been a win as so this week. The players only hear so much of the rah,rah from the coaching staff. Now,its just that rah,rah. The mentality of losing is becoming so ingrained,again and the schedule is only going to get more difficult. Its realy going to take a 'fluke' win to start changing the mindset of the team,not to mention the fans.

We had 6 sacks in the first half and were moving the ball at will. Then, Pohl takes a head shot late in the second quarter and BG adjusts and moves the pocket right and left. Pohl showed a lot of guts by playing in the second half, but it was not enough. BG was able to convert on several long third down plays after the break with their roll out adjustment and we could not make the change to cover it, as we had to defend their strong running game. Difficult game to watch as you could see it slipping away. It's tough to be a Zips fan with all of the losses, but I can see a lot of good things right now. We are not heading into the abyss, we are pulling ourselves out of it and we will make it to the ridge sometime this year.

This game backs up what i said last week. After last weeks loss the writing is on the wall. Any momentum and motivation we had after the Michigan game is now gone.

So it's time to create new momentum and motivation, not give up. This is one of the things that separates good coaching staffs from average ones.

it concerns me that Coach Bowden says that BG "overpowered" us. Link.

We're not going to get much bigger than DT's Caponi (SR 6-3, 278), Grice (SO 6-1, 283), Hollis (JR 6-1, 295) & McCray (SR 6-2, 318) or DE's James (SR 6-3, 250), Capi (SR 6-3, 249) & Presley (SR 6-2, 223).

Looking at all of those Seniors, if our DL is getting "overpowered" this year...? Uh, oh.

We're not going to get much bigger than DT's Caponi (SR 6-3, 278), Grice (SO 6-1, 283), Hollis (JR 6-1, 295) & McCray (SR 6-2, 318) or DE's James (SR 6-3, 250), Capi (SR 6-3, 249) & Presley (SR 6-2, 223).

Looking at all of those Seniors, if our DL is getting "overpowered" this year...? Uh, oh.

I said that at the start of the year. Our DL is mostly seniors. The inside guys, other than Grice, are all seniors. I sure hope that Bowden can get some more transfers for next season.

Pittman will help, but he is only 1 guy.

Coach is right. The play that sticks out in my mind was BG's running back, all one hundred and eighty pounds of him, dragging Presley for a six yard piggy back ride to the first down stick. We need to be stronger.

Again, the Zips were out playered today. BG is a better team and we played them at their place. Started out great, but you can only adjust with the available talent on the team. The Zips are still lacking in overall talent so after the flurry of punches we threw at BG early ended, the leaned on use with better players. We are like an over matched boxer. Our plan is to come out and get a quick KO. 14-3 is not a quick KO. When we don't get the KO, it is only a matter of time before the ability of the opponent with better talent wins the fight.

What I am encouraged by is the continued effort of the players. Keep your heads up and come back fighting next week.

Good post. Everyone is jumping off bridges right now, but let's remember how awful we've been. It's going to take a lot longer than 1.5 seasons to turn that around. We just need a few MAC wins this year.

BG was never going to be one of those wins. We jumped to a nice lead, but the better team wore down their opponent and cruised in the second half. This happens all the time.

Like GP1 says though, there is still effort being given. Akron is at least fighting each game. We're not getting blown out in embarrassing fashion anymore. It sucks, but this is progress.