Congrats to Jatavis Brown

Buckzip

Good job. J. B.

Only a Soph. too.

Our LB corp is filled with studs/potential studs. Congrats to him. Dude is everywhere and smacks people. We all know what March can do as well. I cannot wait to see Mizell for a full season next year (as long as he can keep his grades in order).

Our LB corp is filled with studs/potential studs. Congrats to him. Dude is everywhere and smacks people. We all know what March can do as well. I cannot wait to see Mizell for a full season next year (as long as he can keep his grades in order).

I agree completely. That unit is looking outstanding for next year. In fact, for the most part, I think Brown has been the forgotten one of the three of them up to this point.

I really like Evans too. Don't forget about him.

I'll copy & paste what I wrote in another thread. This is really where it belongs.

Coach Bowden spoke at an event at my church last winter (March?). Before he spoke I was able to spend about 15-minutes with him. Very friendly guy. We talked about the incoming recruits and the current roster. He said then that he thought Jatavis Brown had a shot to play in the NFL. Jatavis is a bit undersized, but man, what a warrior.

And if the 2 Akron guys that had to sit out make it back, that will make it even deeper.

The guy is like a heat seeking missile. His closing speed on a ball carrier is a thing of joy to watch. He had a play last week against Toledo where he chased the quarterback to the sideline and he looked like he was running in fast forward compared to everyone else on the field.

The linebacker corps is so stacked it almost makes you wonder if we should switch to the 3-4. :D

During the third and early fourth quarters of the Toledo game the Zips went into the 3-4 ( when Toledo was driving) and Frenchy mentioned that it was a taste of things to come for next year.

During the third and early fourth quarters of the Toledo game the Zips went into the 3-4 ( when Toledo was driving) and Frenchy mentioned that it was a taste of things to come for next year.
This would up my Zips enthusiasm. I've been watching the Steelers play the 3-4 for so long, I can help with assignments. Can we make a Zips version of 'Renegade' on the scoreboard? This would change our defensive line assignments dramatically. If they did this, it would actually surprise me a little. I would expect to see some special guests helping in spring ball. I'm going to guess they use it in special situations and not as a base defense. If you use this all the time, you have to come up with new stuff constantly, or your defense gets predictable throughout the year...example Ray Horton this year. You need intelligent linebackers and safeties. This would be a great recruiting tool to excite young defensive players. I wish coach Bowden were sitting next to me right now so I can ask him about it. I need this answer. Excellent topic for an article George.

PS my least favorite numbers to see in a row, 3, 3, and 5. :chair: (second worst idea in Zips football history)

Some 3-4 history

JD made the comment when he was hired at Akron "I'm bringing a defense that nobody has seen in the Mac", I was so excited that we were going to play the 3-4, I never considered it wouldn't be. He went on to describe how hard it was to recruit DE in the Mac. I still haven't recovered from that comment.

A reason teams have switched to the 3-4 defense is personnel driven. You can take guys who may be too small to be a prototypical DE, but may be perfectly sized to rush the passer as 3-4 OLB. And you can grab large guys without the speed to play DE in a 4-3 and have them play 4- and 3-tech. This by and large is the driving force for why many NFL teams are moving to multiple front 3-4 schemes. It is a lot easier (and cheaper) to find guys who are too big or too slow to play DE at the professional level and move them around to fit their talents.

I can see us switching to more of a hybrid defense, with an LB being used as a pass rusher off the edge.

Not to open up a can of worms, but that's precisely what the 3-3-5 was doing. Stokes played a LB position that was often a rush position, and Mackey was a Rover/Safety who often played a linebacker role. WAY too many people got caught up in what the numbers said, and not how it actually operated.

I think going with a 4 man front was something that was possible with the DL talent we've had the past couple of years, but may be much tougher next year. The 3-4 would make much better utilization of our big-time depth at LB.

Lets face it people. We just flat-out have better talent on that side of the ball than we've had in the recent past. And that's been the difference.

Lets face it people. We just flat-out have better talent on that side of the ball than we've had in the recent past. And that's been the difference.

We've had some defensive talent in the past. But whatever we had was poorly utilized. Chase Blackburn's career at UA would be completely different had he played under Amato. Dwayne LeFall probably would have flourished too.

Overall, this is the most talented defense we've had since Hilk/Motten/Clark were at LB. That was a great defense. Undersized starters of yore like Ricky Jackson, Mackey, Detweiler, Stokes...I don't know that they'd have seen the field much had they played in 2013.

Not to open up a can of worms, but that's precisely what the 3-3-5 was doing.
Please don't try to defend that defense on ZN while I'm alive. With the proper MAC recruit, that defense can't stop the run in conference, let alone in when we play bigger conferences. I can beat that defense (in the MAC) with five play calls...and some did. The only thing a will give JD credit for is the fact that, like coach Bowden, he was trying to find what he thought would work in the MAC. I liked JD, I wish he would have adapted his defensive plan while he was here. Do you know that DeAngelo Williams still sends JD a Christmas card every year?

Please don't try to defend that defense on ZN while I'm alive. With the proper MAC recruit, that defense can't stop the run in conference, let alone in when we play bigger conferences. I can beat that defense (in the MAC) with five play calls...and some did. The only thing a will give JD credit for is the fact that, like coach Bowden, he was trying to find what he thought would work in the MAC. I liked JD, I wish he would have adapted his defensive plan while he was here. Do you know that DeAngelo Williams still sends JD a Christmas card every year?

LOL. DeAngelo Hall probably sealed his status in the NFL draft with his performance that day.

The poster asked about having a rush linebacker with a 3-man front next year, and I was pointing out that our old defense provided the same thing. It wasn't a defense of the defense at all. We stunk defensively. I just think people get too obsessed with what the defense was called (numerically), and not how it operated. The biggest difference is that we have more guys who can tackle a ball carrier now besides Brian Wagner.

Blue and Gold:

Yes, there had always been talk about the difficulty of recruiting DLs in the MAC. But the question will be, is our improved ability this year on DL sustainable? Or did we just have the right guys together for one year? I understand we'll be much thinner up there next season, with Grice as the only returning starter?

3-4 makes a lot of sense to me. Pittman, Grice, and Capi. Brown and Mizell ILBs, March OLB..not sure who to put at the Leo. I know Evans is a good player, but maybe Turner? I like him as a pass rusher more than anything.

Is Turner even on the team anymore? I didnt see him anywhere for the last 4 or 5 games.

3-4 makes a lot of sense to me. Pittman, Grice, and Capi. Brown and Mizell ILBs, March OLB..not sure who to put at the Leo. I know Evans is a good player, but maybe Turner? I like him as a pass rusher more than anything.

Here's the dilemma. Guys like Capi, along with CJ James and Pressley from this year, fit far better at an end position in a 4-3 defense.