Looking forward to National Signing Day

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest concern with this class is the absence of WR's or RB's.

I would love to have seen an impact RB that would push Chisholm. Like Biggs-Kennedy a few years ago.

Likewise, we lacked a stud, game-breaking WR last season. The existing ones will need to step up.

If we could pull in a BCS 5th year player at either or both of those positions I would feel a little more optimistic about the overall class. But I do like all the kids. TB did a nice job of addressing our most-urgent needs.

My biggest concern with this class is the absence of WR's or RB's.

I would love to have seen an impact RB that would push Chisholm. Like Biggs-Kennedy a few years ago.

Likewise, we lacked a stud, game-breaking WR last season. The existing ones will need to step up.

If we could pull in a BCS 5th year player at either or both of those positions I would feel a little more optimistic about the overall class. But I do like all the kids. TB did a nice job of addressing our most-urgent needs.

Coach Bowden said that we did not go after running backs because we had 5 on scholarship and something like 11 wr's. They didnt target them. He said if they had a sure fire stud they would have taken them, but they didnt recruit those areas very hard.

He also said he was keeping that one scholarship open for a line player. He thinks they need another guy.

MTB needs to step up. We have some depth at WR. They just need to get better.

Our weakness is usually the lines. That's where games are won and lost.

Looking back on last years roster we had a ton of WR's. ...I think 19. We are only losing a few and most of the production from last year is back. If we can find a QB to get them the ball I think we'll be fine.

MTB is overrated. I was not impressed last year at all. He had several drops on easy balls and he did nothing with the ball after he caught it. I really never saw what people were so excited about to begin with.

Looking back on last years roster we had a ton of WR's. ...I think 19. We are only losing a few and most of the production from last year is back. If we can find a QB to get them the ball I think we'll be fine.

MTB is overrated. I was not impressed last year at all. He had several drops on easy balls and he did nothing with the ball after he caught it. I really never saw what people were so excited about to begin with.

One of the reasons could be because he was wearing #1. When Coach Bowden got here, Nick Rossi was wearing #1. When the number shuffling ended that spring, nobody was wearing the number and I seem to remember some conversation about who "deserves" to wear that number. Didn't Coach say that the guy wearing #1 needs to be the guy everyone is looking at to make the big play at any time or something like that? (I am too lazy to look it up.) I think he mentioned that Dri Archer was a guy that was worthy of wearing that number.

I think when Zips fans saw that MTB was wearing the number along with some of hisTwitter quotes and that he was a former Cincinnati commit and what-not, we may have anticipated that he was going to be a much bigger impact player than he turned out to be. Just a guess.

One of the reasons could be because he was wearing #1. When Coach Bowden got here, Nick Rossi was wearing #1. When the number shuffling ended that spring, nobody was wearing the number and I seem to remember some conversation about who "deserves" to wear that number. Didn't Coach say that the guy wearing #1 needs to be the guy everyone is looking at to make the big play at any time or something like that? (I am too lazy to look it up.) I think he mentioned that Dri Archer was a guy that was worthy of wearing that number.

I think when Zips fans saw that MTB was wearing the number along with some of hisTwitter quotes and that he was a former Cincinnati commit and what-not, we may have anticipated that he was going to be a much bigger impact player than he turned out to be. Just a guess.

You would be correct. Bowden did mention the need for a #1. It appears that MTB made his own hype and then took himself seriously. He will only be a true soph so it's not like you can say he is a bust yet. I think Wolf may turn some heads.

So, can anyone name all of the greyshirts, transfers and other commits that total 24.

13 new recruits

1 open

10 ?

TB did mention (with JZ's help) 3 or 4. Who are the other 6?

Off the top of my head:

DT Se'Von Pittman - transfer

WR Anthony Lauro - greyshirt

LB Jerome Lane - greyshirt

LB Deon'Tae Moore - greyshirt

DT Lavonne Gauthney - greyshirt

Possibly OL Curtis Black, who is still hanging around from the 2012 class but hasn't made it onto the roster yet.

Couldn't say who the rest are.

Not sure what Rivals/ESPN/Scout say but after watching the highlight films here are my ratings;

****** Newman Williams - looks incredible

****** Travonte Junius

***** Undrea Bullard

****1/2 Kyle Ritz

****1/2 Brock Boxen

**** Chandler Kincade

**** Scott Boyette

**** Kris Givens

***1/2 Anthony Clark

*** Jamal Bagget

*** Jason Williams

Not sure what Rivals/ESPN/Scout say but after watching the highlight films here are my ratings;

****** Travonte Junius

***** Undrea Bullard

****1/2 Kyle Ritz

****1/2 Brock Boxen

**** Chandler Kincade

**** Scott Boyette

**** Kris Givens

***1/2 Anthony Clark

*** Jamal Bagget

*** Jason Williams

I totally agree with the first five. Ritz has great footwork as a lineman. Kincade's video didn't show much, but from everything that's been mentioned about him be should be very good. The last five in your list are all a coin toss.

You would be correct. Bowden did mention the need for a #1. It appears that MTB made his own hype and then took himself seriously. He will only be a true soph so it's not like you can say he is a bust yet. I think Wolf may turn some heads.

That, and he was tearing it up in the spring.

Off the top of my head:

DT Se'Von Pittman - transfer

WR Anthony Lauro - greyshirt

LB Jerome Lane - greyshirt

LB Deon'Tae Moore - greyshirt

DT Lavonne Gauthney - greyshirt

Possibly OL Curtis Black, who is still hanging around from the 2012 class but hasn't made it onto the roster yet.

Couldn't say who the rest are.

I thought Lane and Moore both didn't make grades. Not getting grades and being a greyshirt are 2 different things.

If they didn't make the grades, they will be sophs and will not be able to work with the team until the fall.

****** Travonte Junius

***** Undrea Bullard

****1/2 Kyle Ritz

****1/2 Brock Boxen

**** Chandler Kincade

**** Scott Boyette

**** Kris Givens

***1/2 Anthony Clark

*** Jamal Bagget

*** Jason Williams

Everyones highlight film looks great. Just saying. ......

****** Travonte Junius

***** Undrea Bullard

****1/2 Kyle Ritz

****1/2 Brock Boxen

**** Chandler Kincade

**** Scott Boyette

**** Kris Givens

***1/2 Anthony Clark

*** Jamal Bagget

*** Jason Williams

Hope this isn't based on a ten star system.

I thought Lane and Moore both didn't make grades. Not getting grades and being a greyshirt are 2 different things.

If they didn't make the grades, they will be sophs and will not be able to work with the team until the fall.

I don't know the specifics, but the scholarships still come out of the 2014 class.

That doesn't really matter. As long as they are at 85 they are fine. They didn't go near 25 so it doesn't matter what year either.

I think there are only one or two scholarships that are not currently filled, using just the players that we know for certain.

You can have 85 scholarship players and 20 walk-ons for a 105-man roster. When Bowden was talking about having more players to get to a complete roster, he was likely referencing preferred walk-ons, who are guaranteed a roster spot.

Using just the players we know, We're at around 100 taken roster spots with a couple that will go toward incoming transfers, leaving two to four open to allow for try-outs.

Everything adds up, and nobody should be worried. We had exactly as many recruits as we were able to take in this class.

ZachTheZip +1. I'm not sure where all the concern has been coming from...several writers of publications have also used the word "concerning" in their articles. It's not concerning. It makes sense to me mathematically when you consider how many people graduated/left. There wasn't much attrition to begin with, so how can a small class be concerning?

What would be a concern is if they didn't fill any holes, or if the recruits weren't quality. From what I've seen neither is the case. Most of the recruits appear to be high quality recruits, as well as filling some of the more pressing holes on the team.