The Spring Game 2014

lance99

I don't recall Coach Bowden ever doing something like this before. If he has, how big was the news when it was finally announced? If he hasn't, then we'll have our first opportunity to see if he's as good at evaluating what fans think will be big news about the team as he is at coaching. I'd get excited about something on the level of a home game against a surprise major opponent.

I'd rank all my Zips sports news this way:

Big news

- new uniform unveil

- OOC home game against major opponent

- stadium/arena upgrades

Good news

- new recruit

- new transfer

Not very exciting news

- assistant coach/staff hire

- OOC away opponent

Awful news

- moving down to FCS

- black or silver uniforms

Is there anything more useful that a tweet to announce that you are going to announce something?

A tweet to announce you are going to send a tweet to announce that you are going to announce something?

I don't recall Coach Bowden ever doing something like this before. If he has, how big was the news when it was finally announced? If he hasn't, then we'll have our first opportunity to see if he's as good at evaluating what fans think will be big news about the team as he is at coaching. I'd get excited about something on the level of a home game against a surprise major opponent.

Well, I'm guessing you think he is a better coach.

I'll cut Coach Bowden some slack on this as he may have been following all the excited talk on ZN.o about new uniforms and concluded from a coach's point of view that a new assistant was bigger than that. It's also possible that this isn't the big news he was talking about. We'll see what develops over the next week or so.

It's also possible that this isn't the big news he was talking about. We'll see what develops over the next week or so.

Since "Stay tuned for some big news out of the Akron Football Program!" come from @TerryBowden, wouldn't you think the "big news" would come from the same place?

Since "Stay tuned for some big news out of the Akron Football Program!" come from @TerryBowden, wouldn't you think the "big news" would come from the same place?

Yes you would. It's going to be the official new uniform. As far as I know, nothing we have seen so far is definite. I would put money on the blue matte and chrome helmets, though. If I were a betting man I'd say we end up with 3 helmets and two uniforms.

Now having the FCS Defensive End of the Year transferring to UA for his senior season without having to sit out would be big news in my book if it could be made to happen. I just can't buy into the concept of new uniforms being big news. With all due respect to Billy Crystal, big sports news to me is something that makes your team more likely to win games, not look better.

If this is not a done deal get Faust on the phone with Jason Taylor and have him give this guy a call, unless that's a recruiting violation. This DE could really help. Now a big DT to replace McCray and another big OT and we're ready. A lockdown CB, a slammin S, and an outstanding WR wouldn't hurt either if they are out there, but that might be too much to ask for.