The 2015 Football Commitment List

I couldn't listen to the press conference...wish I could have...wish I could have been there!

A couple of guys are missing that we hear had connections to Akron: Potentially preferred walk-ons? WR Kefa Cort, RB Brandon junk, JUCO TE Josh McNeil, FB Joe Tupta, S Vince Lockett.

I've uploaded the updated roster here.

Nice job. But you are missing Jerome Lane

I like the way they are running the press conference. Good idea whomever was in charge.

Lots of ZipsNation members asking good questions. Good job guys! :thumb:

I'll let those members post the answer to their questions.

While it was a little more difficult to attend around my work schedule, I think the new location and time slot was generally a good idea. The attendance wasn't dramatically different than events in the past held at the Info, but it did have a younger crowd with a students popping in and out because of the improved accessibility.

I asked TB to comment on potential changes in offensive philosophy in 2015. He said the team would be putting more emphasis on the running game. Inclement weather frequently encountered late in the season was one of the reasons given. Of course, he tempered that a little by acknowledging that you still need to take advantage of what the defense is offering. But he did make a point that he believes the coaching staff needs to emphasize the run for it to be particularly successful.

Here are a few other random notes:

1. Whomever wins the QB competition "will not turn the ball over". He could not have been more direct or clear about that.
  2. Dixon, Wilson and Coney will all likely be tried at WR before DB, despite what is stated in print.
  3. The video on Larry Hope was pretty interesting to me. Most of it was practice video at "the U". I liked what I saw of him against fellow 'canes, but how does one get their hands on video like this? I know all about the Bowden name in Fla, but this still struck me as unusual.
  4. TB claims Van Edwards was the one Fla back who the staff really wanted (presumably among those they felt they had a shot at) to sign. That made me even more excited to see this guy in a Zip uniform, after already liking what I saw in his highlights.
  5. I doubt any will play in 2015, but the three O-linemen signed today all surely look the part. Jordan and Kallay already have the size, but Hlay might be the true sleeper among the entire class. His length (6'7"), pedigree (father and grandfather played D1 football), and recent ability to put on weight (added 70 lbs for his senior year) seem to indicate the sky is the limit for this guy. And I'm always partial to the guys who major in engineering :)

While it was a little more difficult to attend around my work schedule, I think the new location and time slot was generally a good idea. The attendance wasn't dramatically different than events in the past held at the Info, but it did have a younger crowd with a students popping in and out because of the improved accessibility.

I asked TB to comment on potential changes in offensive philosophy in 2015. He said the team would be putting more emphasis on the running game. Inclement weather frequently encountered late in the season was one of the reasons given. Of course, he tempered that a little by acknowledging that you still need to take advantage of what the defense is offering. But he did make a point that he believes the coaching staff needs to emphasize the run for it to be particularly successful.

Here are a few other random notes:

1. Whomever wins the QB competition "will not turn the ball over". He could not have been more direct or clear about that.
  2. Dixon, Wilson and Coney will all likely be tried at WR before DB, despite what is stated in print.
  3. The video on Larry Hope was pretty interesting to me. Most of it was practice video at "the U". I liked what I saw of him against fellow 'canes, but how does one get their hands on video like this? I know all about the Bowden name in Fla, but this still struck me as unusual.
  4. TB claims Van Edwards was the one Fla back who the staff really wanted (presumably among those they felt they had a shot at) to sign. That made me even more excited to see this guy in a Zip uniform, after already liking what I saw in his highlights.
  5. I doubt any will play in 2015, but the three O-linemen signed today all surely look the part. Jordan and Kallay already have the size, but Hlay might be the true sleeper among the entire class. His length (6'7"), pedigree (father and grandfather played D1 football), and recent ability to put on weight (added 70 lbs for his senior year) seem to indicate the sky is the limit for this guy. And I'm always partial to the guys who major in engineering :)

+1 ............... Out of likes !!!!

The things you learn on Hustle Belt!

I didn't realize Jamal Marcus was a defensive back, Brock Boxen was a defensive linebacker and that Newman Williams is going to start at linebacker as a freshman!

Hustle Belt. . .Dropping Science Like Galileo Dropped the Orange™

Wow! The highlight of Van Edwards is amazing. I like the fact that he is scoring on almost every play. He looks to have power and his is breaking away from people.

On a side note…….I bet TB wishes they would not use the orange hair picture :rofl:

I didn't realize Jamal Marcus was a defensive back, Brock Boxen was a defensive linebacker and that Newman Williams is going to start at linebacker as a freshman!

Keener I had the feeling you would be the first to jump on the precision accuracy of the article !!!!! LOL

A-Zip you are correct about Van Edwards .................... His field vision is very good !!! .................... Coach TB likes him alot

Pretty disappointing article for sure. Not one of their better pieces.

In an effort to one up Hustle Belt for inaccuracy, Time Warner ran a recruiting special after the disappointing Zip loss tonight. In reviewing Akron's class the idiot commentator had lockett and Riggins both signed. In fact he went out of his way to list Riggins as the key recruit to make a quick impact. So much for pride in professional reporting. I think he was a Can't grad. Had to be!

I couldn't listen to the press conference...wish I could have...wish I could have been there!

A couple of guys are missing that we hear had connections to Akron: Potentially preferred walk-ons? WR Kefa Cort, RB Brandon junk, JUCO TE Josh McNeil, FB Joe Tupta, S Vince Lockett.

I've uploaded the updated roster here.

Kefa Cort went the JUCO route at Nassau CC.

Brandon Junk appears to remain committed. Maybe a walk-on? Couldn't say.

No word at all on Josh McNeil, Joe Tupta, or Vince Lockett at the moment.

Im sure you will, but please share anything you come across on Lockett.

I see that Rivals has us ranked this morning near the bottom of the MAC in recruiting class, only ahead of Eastern, UMass and Buffalo. However, that really looks to be a result of the size of the class. We had Three 3-Star Recruits, which puts us up there with everyone except the top few teams in our league.

I don't have the time to look into it right now, but I'm fairly certain that those sites actually rank teams classes higher than competing sites if there is an active fan community on that site. Its a trend I've noticed when reading other teams message boards, it always works out that Rivals fan bases always get better rankings on Rivals and so on.

I messaged Junk just now but this is on his twitter

https://twitter.com/lynden_o/status/563049890260213760

And I know Tupta is a preferred walk on

For the 98th time - Josh McNeil got arrested days after he was offered. He is NOT coming to Akron. Mansfield, maybe. Akron, NO.

Tupta and Lockett are preferred walk-on's at this time. You will not see anything about them until they receive a scholarship. Bowden was not publicly allowed to comment on them yesterday.

Throw the stars out the window. How many D1 offers a recruit gets tells the story on their percieved worth right?

I know there are plenty of examples of successful players who were only offered by one school.and busts that were offered by 15 but those examples are exceptions not the rule. One way you can gauge the Zips' recruiting health is by the number of times you win the recruiting battle for kids with multiple MAC offers.

Throw the stars out the window. How many D1 offers a recruit gets tells the story on their percieved worth right?

I know there are plenty of examples of successful players who were only offered by one school.and busts that were offered by 15 but those examples are exceptions not the rule. One way you can gauge the Zips' recruiting health is by the number of times you win the recruiting battle for kids with multiple MAC offers.

Hear Hear ...... Right on point.

That's why the two flips from NIU (well one now) were very important ...... With a season as we should have had in 2014 this season, I think we will make noted gains against the other MAC teams in the 2016 class !! You heard Coach TB, NE Ohio and Pittsburgh area is the "core" recruiting Geography ....... And FLA !!