Game #2 at Penn State Nittany Lions

ZippyRulz

I really, really like Pohl. Those of you on this Board who doubted him should be eating your words right about now and should be man enough to come on and admit how wrong you were.

I'm one of those people GP1, and I'm more than happy to eat my words. Pohl has stepped up and shown he is the QB we need him to be.

Caveat: Doubt is a good thing. You should always doubt anything and everything until proven otherwise with evidence. :D

The obvious question is what steps need to be taken to develop the running game to help open up a passing game that suits Pohl's abilities.

Is it really a question when the answer is obvious? Tell Chisholm to stop wasting time dancing around in the backfield or he'll get replaced. Hundley may not have that explosive threat, but he's solid and consistent, which is exactly what this offense needs right now. Bowden/Milwee have their run and pass philosophies at odds with each other. They want the run game to provide the big plays and the pass game to chip away at the defense.

It looks like college D - coordinators are finally starting to catch up to the spread offense.Play tight man coverage on the relievers and blitz the qb. You only need to cover long enough to make the qb make a bad throw. The only way to beat this is having a running game. Until we figure out how to run it we will struggle.

I hate losing but I am proud of the team and optimistic about our future and the rest of the season. Pohl looked very good AND composed…love his mobility now and decision making. Keep in mind Penn State has one of the best home field advantages in all of sports. Our defense looked very good - there were some blown coverages but shit happens…..we held a great QB to 21 points…..that TE James is a freak!!!! I too was frustrated with the lack of downfield throws on our offense but I am not sure there was enough time in the pocket to get anything deep off. Opening drive had me psyched in the midst of my D.C. (PSU) buddies….the missed field goal was a punch in the gut (as I am sure it was to the team)….but they continued to battle.

We had some key interceptions….the team showed confidence and swagger. Lets face it, we were overmatched and playing against a monster home field advantage.

TB's hair was funny (I am hoping that was a team joke…he looked like a leprechaun), love the Z white helmets!! I LOVE TB!!!!

Although I returned from State College last night, I figured I'd sleep on it before providing my game summary.

Before I do, thanks to PSU_Lions_84 for stopping by ZNo again this year. I enjoy your insight into the PSU program. The Zips return to PA in 2017, so I wish you good health and fortune until then :wave:

1. I think some fans are punishing JC7's 2014 performance so far on the basis of "past sins" (East-West running, avoiding contact). I haven't seen much evidence of either at this point and he's only carried it a total of 16 times. The run blocking has been ineffective for EVERY RB so far. Was Hundley supposed to bowl over 3 PSU defenders on the 4th and 1 (more on this later)? Regarding the prior play, I had an ideal angle for play in which JC7 went out of bounds. As was stated before by ZippyforPresident , in order to catch that pass his momentum forced him out of bounds. There was no option to plow over the defender. I haven't watched the replay yet, but I've read that the review was questionable (I.e. Zips should have been given a 1st down). If I had any criticism on that play, I might say JC7 could have tried to extend the ball before exiting the field so as to make the 1st down without question.

2. PSU fans, by and large, are really friendly and hospitable. Beaver Stadium is an idyllic setting worthy of its reputation.

3. In answer to Dr Z's question on TB55, he did not start, but he rotated between RT and RG all day. I think his ability to play both allows him to spell both QO71 and JM50. He looked OK to me. I think his availability will help the running game, but just not too much against PSU (front 7 is too good, he'll need some time to mesh with his teammates).

4. It was clear that O'Leary rushed and hooked that 1st FG attempt - FR jitters for sure. I agree with CK. In the scrimmages I saw, Stein was more productive. I don't think he'll re-lose the job.

5. While the defense really played hard and well, I agree with those that would have liked to see a few more blitzes. I'm really surprised Coach Amato played it so close to the chest....err....vest ;)

6. When you can't run the ball and you don't even TRY to stretch the field, it's only a matter of time until the short passing game is solved by ANY defense let alone a pretty good one.

7. MTB1 has the CHANCE to become a go to WR, the type that can provide the scoring threat in the red zone we so desperately lacked yesterday. But he MUST learn to catch the routine throws consistently. Speaking of WRs, I didn't see Tyrell Goodman play. Is he hurt? He's a decent red zone option.

8. I generally avoid play calling criticism, but I think the only TB play call I disliked worse than the 4th and 1 run up the middle was the fake FG in the Glass Bowl in 2012. CH34 had NO chance in that one. Why not fake the handoff and roll KP16 out for a run-pass option?

9. Zach Paul is booming the ball this year.

10. On entering the field, the Zips tried to intimidate the Lions by coming very near the PSU sidelines with verbal taunting etc. While I kind of liked the brazen display of confidence, I think you need to establish yourself on the field first. We're not quite there yet.

11. I would have loved to see us get in the end zone a few times. PSU did not impress me with a lot of confidence when they HAD to make a play (other than that 3rd and 25 conversion - sheesh). If the Zips had put them in that position late in the game, I could have easily seen the Lions coming up short.

12. In summary, I'm disappointed in the score and I wish the coaches had a more aggressive game plan on both sides of the ball. But there is plenty to be hopeful about in 2014. The defense is the best UA has ever fielded. The offense has ability. Fix the run blocking and the Zips can roll off a nice win streak here before too long.

• Like 2

Can we PLEASE stop referring to players by some letter/number combo? I hate having to pull up a roster every time I want to decipher somebody's post.

Give the guy credit for not taking a vacation day on the PSU game so that he can give Zips fans a nice summary of the game. I guess you will have to deal with pulling out that roster.

Thanks JZ84.

• Like 1

Good analysis, GP1. The obvious question is what steps need to be taken to develop the running game to help open up a passing game that suits Pohl's abilities. How much is related to offensive line, how much to running backs and how much to play calling? Whoever on the Zips coaching staff is the brightest mind on the running game needs to step forward with offensive tweaks to best leverage Pohl's talents.

These are difficult questions to answer.

Some teams say they want to have a commitment to the running game. So far, I don't see that. At least I didn't see it in the part of the game I saw Saturday. I don't see the running game and our passing game fully integrated to complement each other. I'm not looking for the running game complement the passing game or to make Pohl better. I'm looking for the entire offense to work in a manner that everyone on the offense can be successful. I'd like to see the offense in better sync.

Do I think some of this is on the OLine? Yes, but if you don't commit to the running game, you can't fully develop the offensive line. A good running game is important in the midwest because of late season weather. If the Zips are in the running for a divisional championship, they will have to do the work now to have a good running game later. Our offensive line isn't great right now, but there is some talent to work with and they need to get better by testing them in game action.

... I'm not looking for the running game complement the passing game or to make Pohl better. I'm looking for the entire offense to work in a manner that everyone on the offense can be successful. I'd like to see the offense in better sync. ...

They're not mutually exclusive. The former is a key part of the latter. If the running game better complements the passing game and Pohl becomes more effective, everyone on the offense can become more effective and successful. It's the old saying about a rising tide raising all ships. It's the same thing if the offensive line gets better in opening things up for the running game. That makes everyone better. It's a team sport where any improvement in any area can improve the overall game. If they're all improving in sync, they can get really good. Good coaches make that happen, and Coach Bowden is a good coach. There's reason to be optimistic, as I think you already are.

I guess I'm not overly concerned with the offense simply because I have my eye on how we perform in the MAC. I mean, hell, a year ago now we had what, 3 wins in 3 years? Sure, I want to (and think we can) beat Marshall but my eye is more on making it to Detroit. From my standpoint the D will be able to hold most MAC teams in check and the O is clearly better than it has been in the past few years. For me, get to Detroit this season, keep building next year.

They're not mutually exclusive. The former is a key part of the latter. If the running game better complements the passing game and Pohl becomes more effective, everyone on the offense can become more effective and successful.

Yes. You said it better than I did. The running game shouldn't be designed to make one player better. It should be an integrated part of the offense and make the entire offense better.

I guess I'm not overly concerned with the offense simply because I have my eye on how we perform in the MAC. I mean, hell, a year ago now we had what, 3 wins in 3 years? Sure, I want to (and think we can) beat Marshall but my eye is more on making it to Detroit. From my standpoint the D will be able to hold most MAC teams in check and the O is clearly better than it has been in the past few years. For me, get to Detroit this season, keep building next year.

Well I think all of us first goal is to make it to Detroit. Personally my expectation is a 7-5 season. Anything short of 7-5 is not improvement. A trip to Detroit would be a step above 7-5 for me. An 8+ win season is my top tier of performance. Akron has never had a team win 8 wins in a season, once that goal is reached my expectations will grow. Until then, this is how I measure success.

In all honesty, I think this team is being set up for huge success next year. Kyle Pohl will be entering his senior season, and the Zips are adding a lot of talented transfer players that can make instant impacts in the MAC. I don't want to get ahead of myself though. We have a good shot THIS season to make some noise, and Marshall isn't insurmountable. Miami put 27 points on Marshall, and 318 yards passing. The same Miami team that found a way to lose to an FCS team. If anything Marshall will be a closer game than Penn State.

In all honesty, I think this team is being set up for huge success next year. Kyle Pohl will be entering his senior season, and the Zips are adding a lot of talented transfer players that can make instant impacts in the MAC.

I've seen this line of thinking a couple times recently. I completely disagree with it.

Win, and win now. Nothing about next year is guaranteed. We can just as easily be worse in 2015.

Wait until next year...we have all these phenomenal players coming in next year...all our existing players will be so much better next year...next year is the year we're set up to knock off a BCS program...

I've seen that line of thinking with the Zips basketball team forever. And despite whatever 4-star kid...BCS transfer...phenomenal recruiting class...whatever happens, we ebb and flow around 21 wins year-in-year-out. And you're always a 5 lb bale of pot away from the CBI.

This Zips football team team has the capability to win a championship in 2014. The MAC East is there for the taking. We can win it this year.

• Like 1

I've seen this line of thinking a couple times recently. I completely disagree with it.

Win, and win now. Nothing about next year is guaranteed. We can just as easily be worse in 2015.

This Zips football team team has the capability to win a championship in 2014. The MAC East is there for the taking. We can win it this year.

Completely agree. It is a short sighted way of looking at college athletics and happens far too often at the non BCS level. In fact, it is the kind of thinking that leads high school coaches to start ninth graders at QB thinking in four years they will have some sort of great team.

In addition to winning now, we should be thinking about setting this program up to win for the next 30 years. We should be talking about the vision for the program over at least the next ten years. Vision is partly the "building process". That part is over. It is mostly a question of what the University wants the football program culture to be like over the next ten years that will lead to success long term. Bowden is a God send for this program because he is changing the culture of the program, but he is no spring chicken. If we are successful, what will the next coach be like if Bowden is hugely successful. We don't want to do what Vandy did after Franklin which is hire someone without experience and with different philosophies. Now the program is in free fall. The leadership of the University should be thinking at that point about protecting the school against any present or future Athletic Director who wants to put "his guy" in place at the expense of proven success.

Wait until next year...we have all these phenomenal players coming in next year...all our existing players will be so much better next year...next year is the year we're set up to knock off a BCS program...

I've seen that line of thinking with the Zips basketball team forever. And despite whatever 4-star kid...BCS transfer...phenomenal recruiting class...whatever happens, we ebb and flow around 21 wins year-in-year-out. And you're always a 5 lb bale of pot away from the CBI.

I think we will have success this year, but I think Balsy was referring to "major success". Like beating most of our OOC opponents. Like a double digit win season.

Sure we have that chance this year, and it would be great, split the OOC sweep the MAC, but realistically I am looking for a 8-4/7-5 season and a chance to play for a Conference Championship this year. But next year is looking like the "history making" season.

• Like 1

But next year is looking like the "history making" season.

Next year always looks like it could be "history making" until it isn't. It's why we always feel so good on opening day of baseball. A few key injuries can make a "history making" season a catastrophic disaster in a few seconds. It happened to OU last year. That's why winning now is most important.

We can't get too far ahead of ourselves. First things first. Beat Marshall. Win the MAC this year. Then win a bowl game. Worry about next year, next year. It's interesting that Marshall is coming in this week. I think when they were in the MAC, they had the perfect philosophy...Win Championships! All they wanted to do was win the MAC and then win their bowl. Great philosophy. The big OOC wins will happen over time because you win Championships. Winning championships attracts winners to your program. The more winners you get, the better chance of winning all of your games you have. A culture of winning was developed and they won. It was very simple, the more you win, the more you can win if you are smart about it.

• Like 1

We can't get too far ahead of ourselves. First things first. Beat Marshall. Win the MAC this year. Then win a bowl game. Worry about next year, next year. It's interesting that Marshall is coming in this week. I think when they were in the MAC, they had the perfect philosophy...Win Championships! All they wanted to do was win the MAC and then win their bowl. Great philosophy. The big OOC wins will happen over time because you win Championships. Winning championships attracts winners to your program. The more winners you get, the better chance of winning all of your games you have. A culture of winning was developed and they won. It was very simple, the more you win, the more you can win if you are smart about it.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Don't get hung up on the Penn State game, go beat Marshall next week. I was responding to Ziprifle's comment that "sure, beating Marshall would be great...but MAC is all that matters." (I'm not throwing you under the Bus Ziprifle so don't take it that way)

Every game matters, w gets us one step closer to the goal of the Bowl. That is our goal right? I'm not settling for "sure I would like to beat Marshall"...I'm settling for GO BEAT MARSHALL NOW and worry about the conference later.

• Like 1