Game #5 Eastern Michigan

ZachTheZip

I know nothing about EMU. They are so bad, I'm in denial they are even in the MAC.

When I know very little in sports, I turn to stats.

The very first thing I look at with an opponent is the QB, then I game plan from there. When you look up the MAC QB leaders, they don't even have one that qualifies. It would seem pretty hard to "fear" their passing game.

mac_qb.png

EMU seems to play two QB's. When you have two, you obviously don't have a good one. The senior (Rob Bolden) has 0, 5, 7, and 29 attempts in four games. The sophomore (Brogan Roback) has 14, 10 17 and 0 attempts. So he either got pulled or hurt.

I almost cared to look it up, but discovered the below rankings and decided to stop, because it doesn't matter. EMU should get POUNDED Saturday. Coach Amato should have his boyz in attack mode. Should be a nice stat padding day. I stated early that I was surprised by the 21 point spread. I am no longer surprised after reading the rankings.

emu.png

I know nothing about EMU. They are so bad, I'm in denial they are even in the MAC.

When I know very little in sports, I turn to stats.

I like to look for reasons for stats. That requires looking at competition.

Here's a look at their schedule so far.

Sat, Aug 30 1-0 (0-0) Sat, Sept 6 1-1 (0-0) Sat, Sept 13 1-2 (0-0) Sat, Sept 20 1-3 (0-0)

So they beat Morgan State (2-3) and played Florida (2-1), ODU (3-2), and Michigan State (3-1).

There is only one cross over, where a team they played faced a team we played. That is Morgan State vs. Howard.

Sat, Sept 20 2-2 (1-0)

So EMU struggled to knock off a team that struggled to knock of a team that we beat 41-0.

That coupled with the fact that the stats in EMU's lone win look like this....

50% 3rd down efficiency

3.3 yards per pass (5.2 per completion)

5.2 yards per carry (concerning, but this is a against a defense that gave up 35 points to Howard).

I'm still concerned, mostly because we haven't shaken that "let down" mentality just yet. But for this not to be a butt kicking would mean we have not progressed as far as we all think we have.

Akron 34

EMU 6

EMU was one dimensional in their win. We will likely be able to force them to be one dimensional also.

Akron ends up with at least one defensive touchdown.

I previously predicted my score and offensive stats. Here's a stab at the rest.

Akron 31

EMU 10

Pohl: 200 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT. I don't want to predict running stats, because I think Hundley will start, and thus lead, but won't be the only back. I expect Chisholm, Lawrence, Morgan and Jones all to share carries behind Hundley. This is an opportunity to practice our run game, especially with the rain. I however do expect Pohl to throw some big balls, to iron out some of the problems that we've had in the passing game.

Defense; will amass 3 INTs and 4 sacks.

Eastern seems to play the Zips tough. Who knows now what happens, but I like this homecoming opponent and don't. I have respect for their team, but I hope for a blow out. Wish washy I know, but when have we in Akron been in this position before. Enjoy - hot soup and cold beer (maybe beer cheese soup) in lot 9 I'm guessing.

Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself. It's time to start a new trend.

After the narrow Michigan loss last year, we came home and lost to Louisiana Lafayette.

After the NC State win, we got spanked up at Central Michigan.

After the Syracuse win, we got blown out at home against Ball State.

I think Eastern is the right opponent at the right time for us to break this cycle.

@skip-zip.

Louiana-Lafayette wasn't a previously 1-11 team, we were. So I really wouldn't say Lousiana-Lafayette was a let down; they were a bowl team that almost got beat Akron. Ball State and CMU...I don't remember I wasn't a Zips fan @ that time.

I've been saying this a lot to my father when I see him. He'll make the comments like "Wow, the Steelers just pulled a 'Cleveland Browns!'" I'm quick to correct him by saying "they just pulled the OLD Cleveland Browns".

This is a new year. This is the NEW Akron Zips. And if I'm not mistaken, the black uniforms are coming out to play. The chance of a BIG let-down isn't there. Our guys are going to come into this game ready to play and ready to play to win. Last week will go a long way to establishing that this is 'The New Akron Zips'...but it'll go even further when we notch our first conference win in the first conference game! :gun:

When was the last time we could say that? Go Zips!

Great victory last week. As for this week I have seen Eastern this year(Morgan State) and they are worse then the stats say. Forget the grey field(makes it hard to watch a game) or the busting down of the wall. This is probably the worst d1 team I have ever seen and it's hard to beat some of those eastern teams of the past. They almost were beaten by a terrible 1aa team at home. They also don't have a qb who can throw the ball over 10 yards. Not much else you need to know about them. You can name the score. Let's call it 63-7, maybe eastern will score one late.

They also don't have a qb who can throw the ball over 10 yards.

Thanks for your opinion. I wish this was an away game. Pitt QB last week had a rough time with balls thrown over 10 yards. I have to guess as an offensive coordinator, that really limits your play calling, advantage coach Amato. I really like when Pohl chucks it down the sidelines when he gets one on one coverage. Helps our run game out.

Hopefully the rain moves out before game time.

If you like one on one coverage just wait till the Ohio game. Anytime you see single coverage from Ohio's #37 be looking for it going deep.

That's funny, there was a #XX that used to play for the Zips during the Lee Owens days that had a similar issue. I swore I was going to go to his graduation just to make sure. I'll keep my eye out for ol number thirty-seven. One of our starting QB's strengths is single coverage on the outside, he has a nice touch down the sidelines.