Starting QB 2015

a-zip

We're in trouble if we still have Pohl as our starter.

I don't necessarily believe that. Too many variables. One of them being, I can never measure how hard someone will work in the offseason to get better. With hard work, many have overcome bigger obstacles. Even if he isn't the starter at the beginning of the season, I still wouldn't give up on him, he could possibly be one snap away from being the starter at some point.

I don't necessarily believe that. Too many variables. One of them being, I can never measure how hard someone will work in the offseason to get better. With hard work, many have overcome bigger obstacles. Even if he isn't the starter at the beginning of the season, I still wouldn't give up on him, he could possibly be one snap away from being the starter at some point.

Agreed.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm dumping on the guy, so I hope no one takes it that way. But I really think we've seen the best Pohl can do. It isn't shoot the lights out, and it isn't absolutely horrible either. Yes there are many variables involved with looking at a QB, but almost none of the games we won were because of Pohl's play. And I'd wager to say that some of them most definitely were.

I hope he can remain the way he is, I don't think he's horrible. I'm not giving up on him. I just think we can do a lot better. Rather, we need to do a lot better at that position if we're going to get to that next level.

I think Coach Bowden has been clear about 3 things regarding the QB scenario:

• The starter cannot turn the ball over
  • He is looking fir a vocal leader
  • He is looking for a dual threat QB

I think thinly thing Pohl can realistically improve us the turnover issue. It's time to move on. From what I could understand about Chapman at Ashland, he didn't even have the chance to go to camp and was literally learning as he went along. Saying he "stunk it up" seems pretty unfair. From the film I have seen on him, and the reports of his play against our D on the scout team, there seems to be a lot of potential and he didn't seem to struggle with turnovers. It sounds like there are those who have decided not to like him before we see him take a snap, even in spring ball.

• Like 2

I don't want to make it sound like I'm dumping on the guy, so I hope no one takes it that way. But I really think we've seen the best Pohl can do. It isn't shoot the lights out, and it isn't absolutely horrible either. Yes there are many variables involved with looking at a QB, but almost none of the games we won were because of Pohl's play. And I'd wager to say that some of them most definitely were.

I hope he can remain the way he is, I don't think he's horrible. I'm not giving up on him. I just think we can do a lot better. Rather, we need to do a lot better at that position if we're going to get to that next level.

I think this is pretty fair. Count me in this group.

It sounds like there are those who have decided not to like him before we see him take a snap, even in spring ball.

To be fair to them (which I don't agree with them), they see a guy who hasn't proven anything. I highly touted guy, who hasn't proven anything. The thing I can't understand is the people who are perfectly content with the guy who has just over 50% completion and a less than .500 record.

I admit that I don't know who the best guy for the QB job is. I do think, however, that it isn't unusual to see a QB not start 'clicking' until after he has had 15 to 25 games under his belt. Some guys don't need that initial experience and some do. The patient approach also allows the QB to learn the more intricate nuances of the system and/or for the offense to be tweaked toward the ability of the QB.

This isn't about Pohl specifically I just generally hate to see a revolving door at the QB position. It rarely works out well when you are continually changing the QB. You only have to look a little north to the team that plays on Sundays to see this. With early draft picks every year and people paid to evaluate talent you can't tell me they haven't had a single very good QB in 15 years. The constant changing of signal callers has definitely hurt them.

I know college is different in that guys can only be around and playing for four years but I just don't want to see the Zips become the Browns of the MAC.

Pohl has been the starter for two seasons and has been in the program for over 4 seasons now. I have zero issue with the coaches seeing if we have better. I don't see a revolving door at all. It also goes both ways. You can look a few hours south and see that a QB (freshman) in his first season went 11-1, and a QB making his first 3 starts beat Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon to win a national championship.

You have to trust the coaching staff, and I don't really see why we shouldn't.

• Like 2

My inside the program source says the coaches are in love with Chapman, it's his job to lose, tommy cant/wont stop eating and is about 30 lbs overweight. They aren't a fan of Kyle. He expects us to be VERY good this season. 9+ wins. Don't kill me just telling you what I was told

My inside the program source says the coaches are in love with Chapman, it's his job to lose, tommy cant/wont stop eating and is about 30 lbs overweight. They aren't a fan of Kyle. He expects us to be VERY good this season. 9+ wins. Don't kill me just telling you what I was told

Thanks for the inside dig. :wave:

Assuming your contact is correct, this is good news IMO. I know...I'm the Bowden (now +Chapman) cheerleader here, but out of the QBs on the roster Chapman has the highest ceiling.

From what I could understand about Chapman at Ashland, he didn't even have the chance to go to camp and was literally learning as he went along. Saying he "stunk it up" seems pretty unfair. From the film I have seen on him, and the reports of his play against our D on the scout team, there seems to be a lot of potential and he didn't seem to struggle with turnovers. It sounds like there are those who have decided not to like him before we see him take a snap, even in spring ball.

Lee Owens runs one of the simplest offenses in college football. I know because I played in it. Chapman may have missed part of camp, but that offense is literally one you can pick up within a week or two. The quarterback is not asked to make complex reads or checks, and a lot of throws are predetermined based on one factor reads at the line. Case in point on the ease of picking it up: A true freshman QB started at Ashland in 2014, the year after Chapman's struggles, and was conference freshman of the year. Chapman, simply, was not good. Ashland plays a high level of D2 ball, but there's still a gap there between their opponents and the MAC. If Chapman stunk in Lee O's offense in the GLIAC, he's going to be that much worse in the MAC.

Lee Owens runs one of the simplest offenses in college football. I know because I played in it. Chapman may have missed part of camp, but that offense is literally one you can pick up within a week or two. The quarterback is not asked to make complex reads or checks, and a lot of throws are predetermined based on one factor reads at the line. Case in point on the ease of picking it up: A true freshman QB started at Ashland in 2014, the year after Chapman's struggles, and was conference freshman of the year. Chapman, simply, was not good. Ashland plays a high level of D2 ball, but there's still a gap there between their opponents and the MAC. If Chapman stunk in Lee O's offense in the GLIAC, he's going to be that much worse in the MAC.

Appreciate the insight.

As for your opinion, time will tell.

But wouldn't a true freshman who had the benefit of summer camp have an advantage over a guy who had to learn it on the fly?

• Like 2

Well, what would you think about a dual QB system. I've always hated it, but we may be heading there. If Pohl doesn't produce, we may see Chapman. Is this what we can expect in 2015? What happens if Chapman falters - back to Pohl? Very delicate balance - all egos must be left behind - 'wanting to win is everything' - Vince Lombardi

Well, what would you think about a dual QB system. I've always hated it, but we may be heading there. If Pohl doesn't produce, we may see Chapman. Is this what we can expect in 2015? What happens if Chapman falters - back to Pohl? Very delicate balance - all egos must be left behind - 'wanting to win is everything' - Vince Lombardi

I'm pretty confident Chapman is going to light it up! (Or gosh I hope so...)

I really think that the bottom line is this:

If you look back at the first year, with Dalton at QB, that is what he wants from his offense. He wants to get the ball down the field quickly, primarily with the passing game, and score.

We really haven't gotten that with Pohl over 2 years. We even witnessed that blazing first half against Ball State last year where Woodson looked like he might be able to be that guy, but it appears that hope for him being that guy faded rather quickly after that. So, I think you will see us continue to move in another direction until we find the guy who can do that. Now that other potential candidates to give Terry that kind of guy have arrived, I don't have a feeling that we'd go backwards again.

• Like 3

We really haven't gotten that with Pohl over 2 years. We even witnessed that blazing first half against Ball State last year where Woodson looked like he might be able to be that guy, but it appears that hope for him being that guy faded rather quickly after that. So, I think you will see us continue to move in another direction until we find the guy who can do that. Now that other potential candidates to give Terry that kind of guy have arrived, I don't have a feeling that we'd go backwards again.

+1. I completely agree Skip. I think Woodson was definitely a guy Bowden hoped would evolve into the QB to run his system, if I'm not mistaken...Woodson was Bowden's first QB recruit. Clearly the QBs on the roster were not getting the job done, and they've brought in a guy to compete. I'd have to go back and look at the limited action we saw Hirschman in his time here, but it even looked like Hirschman was better at running this offense than Pohl.

I don't hate Pohl...but we have to admit that he's not a Bowden guy, and the offense has never looked all that fluid with him under center.

• Like 1

I don't think Bowden would be going backwards platooning Pohl and Chapman (if Chapman looks good enough). Remember, the pre-Spring depth chart shows Pohl as the starter. Spurrier platooned the QB position at South Carolina a few years ago. I think it can be done with a veteran coach. As this season is pivotal, we may need to take a guy out periodically if things are not clicking. Do everything we can to win while developing or maintaining a viable alternative in case of injury. Some will cry the rhythm of the offense would be disrupted. Maybe, but keeping any QB in that is struggling (including the replacement) can disrupt your chance to win. Taking the starter out for bit to let him see the defense and contemplate what needs to be done on the field may help turn things around.

I have a question since patooning QB's came up:

Would they be open to use a true QB system? Meaning both in the backfield at the same time?