Starting QB 2015

a-zip

I've mentioned in several of my posts that I expect Akron's offense to go 'up tempo' in 2015. I got this just by reading between the lines of Coach Bowden comments and rationalizing what needs to be done to improve the offense in 2015. In 2012 our offense with Williams at QB was exciting and we moved the ball well. Problem was our D had no depth and was run over, especially after Nico got hurt in the BG game. Bowden figured going into to 2012 that we had to outscore our opponents if we wanted to win (yeah- yeah, I know, 1-11) as our D was in trouble. Problem was, this put our defense back on the field quicker and with little depth we gave up big yardage and points.

In 2013 and 14 we seemed to switch out of up tempo looking for a new formula to win as our defense was gathering steam with the development of young players, Juco's, and key players from other programs. Bowden seemed to change Akron's overall strategy and wanted to control the game and clock more with the offense. Problem with that (if you could call it that) was our defense got Very Good during this time period and depth was less of a problem. Amatos group could have supported an up tempo offense that might put them back on the field quicker. This is where play calling became an issue for me in 2014. Not running the ball more (unless the opponent gave us the run) - just running more plays during the game to keep opponents defenses off balance like we did in 2012. To do this you need have a QB that knows the offense - like Dalton Williams did. Pohl knows it as he's had the coaching/practice over the years and arguably would be better prepared in 2015 to make those quick decisions needed in the 'hurry up'. That's where I see us going with the O in 2015 - up tempo - as we had success there before with this coaching staff, despite the record in 2012.

• Like 2

If someone can beat out Pohl in Spring then bring him on, but remember, when healthy, this is a guy that was at the helm when we came within inches and seconds of beating Michigan (Michigan hold on D'Orazio not called). Pohl is the guy at QB that won our greatest OOC victory to date - Pitt. What stopped 2013 and 2014 from being better in the win column was a Pohl ankle sprain (13) and a concussion (14) that limited his mobility or put him on the bench. The slide in 14 occurred after Pohl was clubbed and knocked out of play for several games because we had a struggling offensive line. Remember we were 4-2 until that Pohl injury. We have a senior QB in 2015 who has sacrificed his body for the Zips that is smart and has a good arm. If he can run the ball when needed in an up tempo 2015 offense, I think he is our guy. To call for his head now is a damn shame, especially when there are 10 other players on offense to consider. To me the only criticism of Pohl that makes any sense is that he may not be durable enough.

Makes sense .............. Only seeing him in the 2014 season, it appeared to me that the other 10 guys on the offense had little confidence in him. Even at 4-2, he just didn't project the confidence.

NOW ........... I will say, that all the dropped balls that I saw and the injury undoubtedly demoralized the kid ................ If he can bounce back, he get's a mulligan from me. Again I make mention of the play calling

We can get another 10 plays a game by more systematic play calling ................ Also need to catch the damn ball and keep the plays moving. I bet that cost us at least 2-3 plays per game (not every game) to regroup

2014 - 77.9 plays per game ( 29th in NCAA)

2013 - 72.9 plays per game ( 86th in NCAA )

2012 - 79.5 plays per game ( 21st in NCAA)

2011 - 67.5 plays per game ( 98th in NCAA)

2010 - 63.6 plays per game ( 111th in NCAA)

2014 - 77.9 plays per game ( 29th in NCAA)

2013 - 72.9 plays per game ( 86th in NCAA )

2012 - 79.5 plays per game ( 21st in NCAA)

2011 - 67.5 plays per game ( 98th in NCAA)

2010 - 63.6 plays per game ( 111th in NCAA)

The most amazing stat are those highlighted ones. We managed to have 67.5 and 63.6 plays per game those seasons? Even that feels like it was too high...

Here are some interesting Stat on offense and defense ........................... A productive lunch in my office :D

OFFENSE:

Scoring Offense - Points per game

2014 - 20.1 pts per game (108 in NCAA)

2013 - 18.4 pts per game (107 in NCAA)

2012 - 21.9 pts per game (87 in NCAA)

2011 - 11.6 pts per game (119 in NCAA)

Red Zone Scoring % (TD's and FG's combined):

2014 - 71.79% (120 in NCAA)

2013 - 79.92% (78 in NCAA)

2012 - 84.85% (35 in NCAA)

2011 - 80.00 % (67 in NCAA)

Third Down efficiency:

2014 - 33.73% (113 in NCAA)

2013 - 37.65% (79 in NCAA)

2012 - 38.76% (68 in NCAA)

2011 - 27.22% (120 in NCAA)

Time of possession:

2014 - 29.19 min per game (84 in NCAA)

2013 - 30.02 min per game (60 in NCAA)

2012 - 28.02 Min per game (106 in NCAA)

2011 - 27.54 min per game (105 in NCAA)

DEFENSE:

Points given per game:

2014 - 25.2 pts per game (60 in NCAA)

2013 - 27.5 pts per game (73 in NCAA)

2012 - 37.7 pts per game (116 in NCAA)

2011 - 39.0 pts per game (117 in NCAA)

Opponents red zone scoring % (TD's and FG's):

2014 - 80.00% (41 in NCAA)

2013 - 79.49% (34 in NCAA)

2012 - 85.11% (91 in NCAA)

2011- 89.09% (106 in NCAA)

Opponents time of possession:

2014 - 30:40 (84 in NCAA)

2013 - 29:56 (58 in NCAA)

2012 - 31:58 (107 in NCAA)

2011 - 32:05 (105 in NCAA)

Opponents third down efficiency:

2014 - 39.22% (50 in NCAA)

2013 - 42.58% (85 in NCAA)

2012 - 38.31% (48 in NCAA)

2011 - 44.44% (92 in NCAA)

Turnover Margin: .......................... THIS HAS TO IMPROVE !!!

2014 - -0.3 (89 in NCAA)

2013 - -0.3 (79 in NCAA)

2012 - -1.2 (115 in NCAA)

2011 - -1.0 (114 in NCAA)

LOL for what it's worth !!!! Kinda tells us what we already know ................... Although we still have a bit of work to do on defense, offense has to improve greatly in 2015

Source: http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-third-down-conversion-pct?date=2012-01-09 ****** Stats DO NOT include the Howard game*****

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Talked with head coach Terry Bowden about Spring practice and qb competition. Bowden informed us that Chandler Kincade is transferring

That would pretty much fall in line with what a few of us have been saying for about a year now, it's Chapman's job to lose.

That would pretty much fall in line with what a few of us have been saying for about a year now, it's Chapman's job to lose.

That's been consistent for quite some time among every connection I have to the situation.

I thought this was funny: I read the article about the QB battle in the paper, and saw the pictures. I saw one picture with 4 QBs going through drills, then another with the addition of Pohl, and still had not yet accounted for Woodson. So, that was 6 QBs in spring practice. Maybe there's more? I don't know. Seems really crazy to me. But, I'm guessing it's no different anywhere else.

I thought this was funny: I read the article about the QB battle in the paper, and saw the pictures. I saw one picture with 4 QBs going through drills, then another with the addition of Pohl, and still had not yet accounted for Woodson. So, that was 6 QBs in spring practice. Maybe there's more? I don't know. Seems really crazy to me. But, I'm guessing it's no different anywhere else.

There's 6 listed on the roster: Pohl, Woodson, Wood, Chapman, Kincade, Hoyer.

Am I the only one that thinks Pohl didn't look too bad when we were going with an up-tempo no huddle offense? It just seemed like he bogged down when the tempo and play calling slowed down. If we go fast on offense I still think Pohl would be a pretty decent option at QB. Of course I don't know as much about the other guys as most on here seem to know.

Am I the only one that thinks Pohl didn't look too bad when we were going with an up-tempo no huddle offense? It just seemed like he bogged down when the tempo and play calling slowed down. If we go fast on offense I still think Pohl would be a pretty decent option at QB. Of course I don't know as much about the other guys as most on here seem to know.

Yes I'd say you were one of the few (and I don't mean that offensively). From my observation the up-tempo no huddle offense was slower when Pohl ran it.

We have a very small sample size for Woodson, but the offense seemed to run faster when he was under center then when Pohl was.

Am I the only one that thinks Pohl didn't look too bad when we were going with an up-tempo no huddle offense? It just seemed like he bogged down when the tempo and play calling slowed down. If we go fast on offense I still think Pohl would be a pretty decent option at QB. Of course I don't know as much about the other guys as most on here seem to know

• Like 1