Starting QB 2015

a-zip

We used D'Orazio (ex-QB) in prior years in several pass situations that went for long yardage (1 for a score?). I agree it would be beneficial to get as many playmakers on the field as possible. If this Chapman kid can play - put him all over the place.

If the Chapman Kid can play, he needs to be under center, not at WR or some other gimmick play, and not all over the place.

Balsy - that some kind of crush you have on this Chapman kid. I hope you're right, but you may want to tune down your glorification of this newcomer till he does something.

I said "if he can play"...if he can, he doesn't need to be thrown out there in another position. But clearly I'm betting the house on this season. Bowden or Broke! Go Zips :gun:

By 'if he can play' I meant the game of football (not just QB) at this level. If Chapman turns out to be a special athlete, but can't yet beat out Pohl due to lack of experience or maturity, then I would not like to see him holding a clipboard for much of this season. Trot him in there in 2015 and use his skills as a weapon, even if it might not be at QB. I do think he has a good shot for a lot of playing time at QB this year (maybe the starter) and next year there is nobody else now so he should be the guy, but if he has special skills - play him somewhere often as we need help on the O.

• Like 1

By 'if he can play' I meant the game of football (not just QB) at this level. If Chapman turns out to be a special athlete, but can't yet beat out Pohl due to lack of experience or maturity, then I would not like to see him holding a clipboard for much of this season. Trot him in there in 2015 and use his skills as a weapon, even if it might not be at QB. I do think he has a good shot for a lot of playing time at QB this year (maybe the starter) and next year there is nobody else now so he should be the guy, but if he has special skills - play him somewhere often as we need help on the O.

+1

My guess is people would feel differently about throwing him out there at other positions is he were their kid. You don't just throw a kid out there at another position because he is a "special athlete." That's a good way for a tale ted athlete to to suffer a career ending I just. It isn't good for the kid or the program. Coaches who don't care about kids get reputations for that. Thankfully, that is not the reputation TB has.

Good athletes move around to different positions all the time. D'Orazio from QB to WR; Rossi from LB to Fullback; McNamara from O line to D line; Williams from LB to T/E; Grice from FB to DL to name a recent few. You train and practice - you don't just walk on the field into a position. What you are describing ZOut is a selfish primadonna. We need athletes that want get on the field and contribute to winning - this year.

UA1987 - I'm not saying he's a bad QB...but do you remember the La-Lafayette Game...the James Madison Game...the BGSU game...the other BGSU game...the Marshall game...the second Can't State game...the Can't State game where we scored a million FGs because we couldn't move the ball...

The pitt game was less Pohl and more Hundley's amazing running. Hindsight is 20/20. Pohl's not horrible...but he's not the QB to get us to the next level.

UA1987 - I'm not saying he's a bad QB...but do you remember the La-Lafayette Game...the James Madison Game...the BGSU game...the other BGSU game...the Marshall game...the second Can't State game...the Can't State game where we scored a million FGs because we couldn't move the ball...

The pitt game was less Pohl and more Hundley's amazing running. Hindsight is 20/20. Pohl's not horrible...but he's not the QB to get us to the next level.

Pohl threw for 321 yards and 3 td's against Louisiana and we lost because we missed 2 fourth quarter field goals.

Pohl was 14-22 for 143 yards and 2 td's against JMU before getting hurt.

Your disdain for Pohl is duly noted....freaking stop already. Jeez!!

Pohl threw for 321 yards and 3 td's against Louisiana and we lost because we missed 2 fourth quarter field goals.

Pohl was 14-22 for 143 yards and 2 td's against JMU before getting hurt.

Your disdain for Pohl is duly noted....freaking stop already. Jeez!!

Cherry picking is fun. He also threw 2 INTs, and went 3-and-out in the first three drives of the game. Argueably, La-Lafayette, Michigan could have been Ws with slightly better play from the QB. Infact the QB could have singlehandedly been the factor in BOTH those games. I really don't "disdain" Pohl, I'm just astounded at the number of times I read people on this forum wanting status quo. Kyle Pohl is status quo. I thought we wanted better than that!

Quarterbacks receive too much credit when things are going well and shoulder too much blame when they aren't. Say whatever you want about Kyle Pohl but there are a couple of factors we might want to consider.

Kyle is not the type of playmaker qb that can make something out of nothing and put the team on his back. Those types of quarterbacks are few and far between. KP16 would look much better with a receiving corps that could 1) get open and 2) catch the ball.

The lack of a run game has also a glaring weakness. We have suffered through two years of patiently waiting for Jawon ACAAC Chisholm to finally break through and be the 1400 yard runner he had the talent to become. Never happened.

Our opinion of Kyle would be much more favorable had he gotten some support.

Unless some receivers step up and a running game is established, any qb on this roster is going to struggle in 2015.

• Like 2

Kyle Pohl's numbers in 2014 were nearly identical to Tommy Woodson in terms of Completion %, TDs, and interceptions. He failed to score in the red zone from very early in the season (Penn State) on and seemed to lack urgency. He seems like a great kid, but the Zips won't be bowl eligible without major improvement at

QB, whether it behind, or someone else. The reason that there is real competition for his position, is his failure to deliver and be the vocal leader on the field.

• Like 1

That was fun when we did that in flag football a while back but this is D-1 football

I meant to say "dual" QB. As in both listed as Quarterbacks in the game at the same time. Not like what slash was with the Steelers, but something along those lines.

Good athletes move around to different positions all the time. D'Orazio from QB to WR; Rossi from LB to Fullback; McNamara from O line to D line; Williams from LB to T/E; Grice from FB to DL to name a recent few. You train and practice - you don't just walk on the field into a position. What you are describing ZOut is a selfish primadonna. We need athletes that want get on the field and contribute to winning - this year.

Why is having Chapman play another position even a discussion? He wasn't being considered for that at Pitt, didn't do it at Ashland and Bowden has made zero reference to doing that here. No one is suggesting Pohl play receiver or another position. What I am describing is reality. You don't stick a kid at another position if you want him to be a future qb. You either keep him on the sidelines to learn the position or cut him loose to play somewhere else.

• Like 1

ZOut - The discussion is here as this is a forum to discuss these things. Bowden has said he wants to get the best 11 on the field on all squads. I think I gave you plenty of examples - here's another - Goodman QB to WR. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but having a good offensive athlete on the sideline considering our need to have playmakers there would difficult to take. To me, your posts seem like a relative or a friend that is excited about this kid making it to the pros at QB and the big money. If so, chances are very slim - it would be best to encourage him to get a degree and learn how to be part of a team and let the chips fall where they may.

To me, your posts seem like a relative or a friend that is excited about this kid making it to the pros at QB and the big money. If so, chances are very slim - it would be best to encourage him to get a degree and learn how to be part of a team and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't agree. His post is more like mine. Everywhere he's gone he's been considered a TOP QB. Why on Earth would we be discussing, at this point in the game, putting him at another position? Why is that even being considered by any member here, is the point. Why does the contention exist in the first place.

I agree with you that there's a chance any athlete who can play, can try another position...but only after there's considerable depth that has beaten them out and it doesn't look likely they'll ever play the position here. Even if Pohl did beat out Chapman...he has 3 years of elligibility left. It wouldn't kill us to have him behind Pohl learning the system, not learning how to play WR. JMO

'Best 11 on the field' - who knows where they could put him and what he could do - discussion could all be for not as he may win the starting job. If Chapman doesn't win it, I'd like to see your boi in the games this year from time to time not toting a clip board on the sideline - maybe in some wildcat formation or anything else our coaches can work out. Win now in 2015. I would hope we can all agree on that.

http://www.gozips.com/video/Z360/Z-360_-_April_10

This is supposed to have interviews with all three QBs competing for the starting spot. However, I can't view it from work.

Pretty nice interviews. Woodson looks like he has put on a few pounds. Chapman was very well spoken. Pohl recognizes he needs to be more vocal. Woodson's comments were just terrible, IMO.

TB clearly stated that he wants a QB who can take the offense into the endzone. (looking at you Kyle Pohl). Just from this video I'd put KP16 and TC9 tied for first, Woodson in third.

Chapman only played one series in last year's Spring Game, but besides him displaying a nice arm, what I vividly remember is how explosive a runner he his. The pocket was collapsing and he took off and left the pursuing DE so far behind it looked like the DE was running in sand. It really almost dropped my jaw.

• Like 2