Thoughts on postseason opportunities

GJGood

KD sounds skeptical about wanting to play in the CBI or CiT even though he seemed to indicate that an invite is out there if the team chooses to accept. What are the thoughts of the members of this board? Should Akron accept the invitation?

I personally think they should. There are so many young guys on this team that I can only see positives in gaining more experience. For the program as a whole it has been a number of years now since a national postseason victory has taken place. Given a few days rest now, this would be a great chance to finally break that streak. Quite frankly I would have understood turning down an invite last year more than I would understand turning one down this year.

I am hoping the players have a strong enough desire to keep playing with and for each other to convince KD that playing in the postseason would be a positive.

I'm torn. On one hand, I'd love to see these guys keep playing and, unlike past teams, I think they'd actually want to be there. On the other hand, we're at 9 players, many of them gassed, Pat isn't 100%...we're just beat up. It may be better to pass and look toward next year.

I think 9 players is plenty. Most teams in the country play with only 8 or 9 in their regular rotation. How long of a rest would we have if we accepted?

I say it would be good to go play and give more minutes than normal to the young guys like Aaron Jackson and Malcolm Walters. It can only help them and the program in the future. I also would like to see Big Dog continue playing if for nothing else than to help him continue to get in shape. Lastly, I say go and give the two seniors more minutes than they have usually gotten. I say go because you don't have to give Antino, and especially Pat, a large number of minutes. You don't have to play it the same way you would if it was the MAC tourney or something like the NCAA tournament.

I want to see us play again.

But, I can't help but to think about the way we've played so lethargically in those last couple of trips to "lower" tournaments. If that's what we'd get, I don't want it. That's up to the players to convince their coach that they want it.

But maybe more importantly, it's up to the coach to decide if his team is physically able to compete.

I also understand that the program may be at a point where there's simply nothing to gain by it.

It was talked about quite extensively in the postgame. It's a tough call.

A few things to consider...

1) It sure sounds like the players are expecting their season is over if you check out their Twitter feeds.

2) It's been a rough year for KD personally. Dan Peters passing, his father having medical issues, all of the on-court adversity they went through (Tree, Noah, Pat, etc). The mental exhaustion might be worse than the tired legs.

3) I'm not sure what they'd be playing for other than pride.

I want this team to get better for next year, The best way to do that is get as much experience as possible when you can.

Are we really too big for a tournament we've never been able to get a win in? Heck, the program only has two national postseason wins in Division 1 EVER. That needs to change and these guys could do it.

• Like 3

I can't believe this is being discussed. We have nothing to win in these "lowly" tournaments? Because we go in there and dominate year in year out? Give me a break!

When we create a cupcake heavy schedule every year we complain that no decent team wants to play us...here is a chance to play someone decent. You have an opportunity to play a (most probably) decent mid major, we're going to cowardly run away?!

• Like 3

I don't think KD should make a judgment so soon. Give it a day. These guys are going to want to play again. It's what they do - they're ball players.

I hope we play. I just thoroughly love watching this team play ball.

But I also think we should play. Consider these games scrimmages. Who cares if we win or not? Tell the players there is absolutely no pressure here, we're gonna play hard, but not necessarily to "win." Kinda like minor league baseball; development is the primary goal.

Get Aaron Jackson playing time. Get Big Dog more playing time. Get Antino more PT (he's a ball of fire and is going to feel like playing again by tomorrow morning). Reward Malcolm's hard work at practice all year long with some nice PT. How's BJ feeling? If able, an extra game or two would really benefit him.

And give Deji & Nyles a ton of minutes as a last hurrah. They've done a great job representing UA; wearing "Akron" on their chests. Let them do it one more time.

And finally, as someone noted above, go on the road. Make it fun. Eat out at a couple of nice restaurants. Go sightseeing. Take selfies. Cheer for your senior teammates & for those who didn't get as much PT during the regular season. Make memories. Better than sitting around the dorms next week.

• Like 1

I can't believe this is being discussed. We have nothing to win in these "lowly" tournaments? Because we go in there and dominate year in year out? Give me a break!

When we create a cupcake heavy schedule every year we complain that no decent team wants to play us...here is a chance to play someone decent. You have an opportunity to play a (most probably) decent mid major, we're going to cowardly run away?!

I think it's an absolute insult to call this team and coaching staff cowardly. They could have folded when Tree went down and didn't. They could have folded when Noah went down and didn't. Pat could have sat out and not played through the pain. And yet they didn't - they were a few plays away from getting back to the Final.

It's been discussed that we need every recruiting advantage we can get. Right now one of our bragging points is that we've played in the postseason x years in a row. Choosing not to play throws that away.

Also, KD said, "we've played 35 games already, why play one more?" I agree...let's play 5 more.

The players and coaching staff are going to get together and talk out all the pros and cons before making their final decision. If they elect not to play in the CBI or CIT, I'm sure it will be for all the right reasons, including some that haven't been mentioned here. Whatever their decision might be, cowardly is certainly one word I'd never think of using to describe this Zips team.

• Like 1

In the postgame, KD indicated that there was nothing to gain from these tournaments and that our team was "too good" to play in these tournament. I do not agree with that since we have never won a game in these tournaments.

I think we should consider going if the players want to play in the tournament, especially the seniors

Are we healthy enough to play? Is BJ or Pat healthy enough to play?

Would the experience help our program for next year?

Either way, the Zips finished strong winning 3 of 4 in the MAC tournament.

How much experience will really be gained by playing 1 or 2 more road games (after your team has played 30+) when the kids & coaches really aren't interested?

I understand what the logic is but it isn't exactly rewarding to play in a tournament with the other sub 100 ranked teams. The kids won't be in to it and neither will the coaches or fans.

It's like playing in a bowl game when your team finishes 6-6.

I'm leaning toward the Zips skipping postseason. Three 40-minute games in 3 days is like playing 1 OT FIFA soccer match in 2 hours. Given the difference in the sub rules, perhaps not quite. Couldn't expect D1 basketball players to be that well-conditioned; might actually accomplish something. No, it's good just to come and play for Akron, get 20+ so-so wins during the regular season, go to the Q as whatever seed, and win a number of games, perhaps even the MAC and get the AQ to go dancing. Very satisfying. Who needs to get to the NCAA and win any games or continue playing and pick up more experience. Let's stay home, rest, and pat ourselves on the back at the post-season banquet.

--- end sarcasm for today ---

• Like 1

How much experience will really be gained by playing 1 or 2 more road games (after your team has played 30+) when the kids & coaches really aren't interested?

I understand what the logic is but it isn't exactly rewarding to play in a tournament with the other sub 100 ranked teams. The kids won't be in to it and neither will the coaches or fans.

KD should ask Shaka about this. Shaka considers the VCU run in the CBI being the springboard to the Rams' Final Four season. I'm not saying the Zips make the Final Four in 2015-16 if they continue to play but I do think it can be a springboard and provide experience. The rotation can be switched up, minutes can be given differently, Pat wouldn't have to play if not 100%. The bottom line is that playing on won't make anything worse and it could make things better for next year. I am sure most of the players do care and want to play on.

• Like 1

I would welcome a bowl game after a 6-6 season with open arms. Postseason appearances will only help the programs.

35 games played already. 5 long months for these guys who are supposed to be students first. I think the lesser tournaments are anticlimactic to the conference tourney, at best. Cost of entry, cost of travel, being that we're tired and banged up...I could excuse them for declining.