UA Trustees

So we've succefully compared this to Pearl Harbor. Nice.

Did you even bother reading the other post? Did you even bother even researching what Groupthink is in psychological theory? One of the prime case studies often given for groupthink is Pearl Harbor. You don't even have to venture as far as a psychology 101 textbook, you can use the internet to confirm this example. Way to dismiss an arguement because you don't even bother comprehending it.

Balsy, do really think that a bunch of strong minded business men are just going to be a bunch of "yes men"? Most people who achieved the level of success needed to be considered for the position of trustee at a major institution got there because they know how to make informed, thoughtful decisions. In fact I would say that many may in fact be a "my way or the highway" type.

Groupthink doesn't come solely from being "yes men". People with similar backgrounds and connections likely have similar experience bases and 'think" along the same lines. It's easy to say, 'win the elction' and get your people appointed. That should never be acceptable in the same way gerrymandering by the party in power shouldn't be accepted. The United States is a very diverse country, and should strive to have that diversity represented at all levels of government and public entities. Oftentimes elections are won by a slim majority. That doesn't give that majority the right to discount and not represent others' ideas.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Quake in your boots, BOT, the mighty ABJ has spoken...

Despite what Zips fans might think, more people in NEO take the ABJ seriously than they do the UA BOT or UA for that matter. Also, it's not like the questions the ABJ editorial raised are somehow out-of-step with what people in NEO are already thinking...because it isn't.

I think you're right.  People do generally believe whatever the media tells them, which has contributed to the overpopulation of Libs in this country.  But in this case, I hope most of the people who care enough about this situation have followed everything enough to form their own opinion.  I worry most about the athletes and potential students who are further removed, and may only be getting their news from the internet.    

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I think you're right.  People do generally believe whatever the media tells them, which has contributed to the overpopulation of Libs in this country.  

As always, I'm going to call out bullshit side comments whenever they're made.  Actually, that's more true for the Baby Boomers, and the generation X's, not so much for the Millennials. Millennial voters are some of the most informed in the country, certainly the most well educated, and the worst paid (compared to previous generations.  Millennials as a group reject so called "mainstream media" more than any other group of people, and MIllennials are more liberal than any other group in the country.   Not to mention "lib" or "liberalism" is a nebulous moving target, because it's changed as the right has become increasingly polarized over the past several decades; so much so even Ronald Regan (if you removed his name) would be denounced as a Liberal today.  The media is also far from liberal, if you take any objective approach to analyzing what is said and done in media (case and point the media onslaught on ultra liberal Bernie Sanders).  Sure seems like your pulled that piece of wisdom right out of your ass.

Annnd there it is; the run to the "dismissive-youth card".  How charmingly adorable.  Your predictively dismissive tone towards those younger than you as if age is somehow equivalent with both knowledge and wisdom is both desperate, and tired.  Age does not make one wise nor knowledgeable; critical thinking and thoughtful analysis of issues, along with the credibility of the evidence that supports it, does.  Comments like "which has contributed to the over population of libs in this country" is far from knowledgeable, wise or even whimsical or amusing.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of those in NEO are not impressed with the Scarborough administration.  Many more within the University community are the same.  To dismiss this fact as: "well it's 'cuz of those gosh darn LIBERALS!"  is inherently absurd, incredibly short-sided, and possibly destructive.  Dismissing young people as a bunch of petulant know-nothings, is why this University is in the precarious place that it is.

Edited by Balsy

BOT Chairman Pavloff's term expires July 1.

Per Akron Ohio Student Association:

Lastly, Pavloff was asked about his ending term as Chair of the Board. He stated that his term on the Board is "likely to terminate" and that he is "working under the assumption" that his term ends in June.

Edited by ZippyRulz

On 5/11/2016 at 6:13 AM, skip-zip said:

Another round of budget cuts would be very difficult.

Edited by ZippyRulz

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2016 at 0:31 PM, ZippyRulz said:

BOT Chairman Pavloff's term expires July 1.

Per Akron Ohio Student Association:

Lastly, Pavloff was asked about his ending term as Chair of the Board. He stated that his term on the Board is "likely to terminate" and that he is "working under the assumption" that his term ends in June.

Pavloff is officially done, so it appears..

http://wksu.org/post/university-akron-trustees-approve-plan-deal-troubled-budget

• 3 weeks later...

Eh I'm not sure I agree with that decision. He's being held accountable for Scarborough's failed ideas. I liked a lot of what he brought, albeit a little bit corny. There seemed to be a better effort to strengthen alumni relations under him. Hopefully that is kept up.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Eh I'm not sure I agree with that decision. He's being held accountable for Scarborough's failed ideas. I liked a lot of what he brought, albeit a little bit corny. There seemed to be a better effort to strengthen alumni relations under him. Hopefully that is kept up.

OK.  So you liked some of the things he was doing (other than planning to rename the University).  Whatever the other things were, they would have to be pretty monumental to even begin to counterbalance the absolute dumbest idea (IMO) that was ever floated.

Beyond severing ties with the man, I think his punishment should include being stripped naked of all but his bow tie and a sign around his neck that states "It was my idea to rename the University OPU."  He should have to walk through Lot 9 while tailgaters pelt him with rocks and garbage chanting "Shame, shame, shame. . ."

Too GoT? :rock:

Edited by K92