Faculty Recommends I-AA

Possibly being football competitive and being in a tournament possibly playing for a national championship is 'giving up the football program'? OK just don't go to the games. Looks like a lot of people are not already. Got my season tix AGAIN. Will be there every home game,some away whether they play DI,I-AA or D-II. Its supposed to be about HIGHER education,RIGHT?

THAT'S WHAT WE NEED!!! AND about 15K more of ya!!

Lee Adams

:bow:

Who cares what the faculty senate thinks? Maybe they would like to get demoted to Community College profs. Seriously. They know about us much about the budget, cost and benefits of the football program as Hillary Clinton knows about email servers. Them voicing an opinion on it is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. What a joke.

We haven't even made serious efforts, yet, to rectify the financials and some people are ready to sell the Zips down to 1-AA. This anti-football sentiment (yes, I consider the idea of going to 1-AA anti-football) is one of the most ridiculous things I have seen.

• Like 1

Wether this is just a recommendation, or a threat, or just a theory. The point is to go to the games, have faith in Bowden, and sucess will come. Even if we up our attendance average by a few thousand and have a winning record or even go .500, all will be good and dandy. Not what we want, like sell out crowds, mac championships, and bowl games. But it'll stop discussion on dropping divisions or the game itself by the front office.

In Bowden we trust!

A shining diamond of a post amongst a sea of diarrhea. :thumb:

Wether this is just a recommendation, or a threat, or just a theory. The point is to go to the games, have faith in Bowden, and sucess will come. Even if we up our attendance average by a few thousand and have a winning record or even go .500, all will be good and dandy. Not what we want, like sell out crowds, mac championships, and bowl games. But it'll stop discussion on dropping divisions or the game itself by the front office.

In Bowden we trust!

171-0208102035-animal-house-all-is-well.

This is a non-story because it will never happen. As it has been mentioned previously, the best way to make sure these type of stories don't get traction is for people to stop whining and actually go to the games. It's time for fans and students stop sitting at home watching the Suckeyes and actually go to the Info to watch their team. Time for Akron fans and students to put their butts in the seats!

Mort says no changes coming.

Thanks for posting!

He says there have been no talks within the university about dropping the football program to a lower level to save money, as proposed by the head of the University of Akron's Faculty Senate. "I'm not focused on dropping anywhere. I'm focused on staying where we are, and being competitive, and having a good team on the field," Mortimer says. Mortimer says getting more people in InfoCision Stadium - for both athletic and other events - is a focus.

• Like 1

Everybody needs to calm down. Terry Bowden has brought the program back to respectability, He needs to take the next step with a winning season and a bowl game. The school has already built state of the art football facilities along with a gorgeous stadium. Why turn back now. We have to much invested already. Winning cures a lot of ills. The school has done their part spending a ton of money on these facilities, its time for Akron Football to start winning more games and create an interest around the community and campus.

• Like 1

What is bullshit is the story. If you are advocating a dropdown, do it behind the scenes. Don't make it public. It shows those people care less than zero about the program. That's what burns my crack.

Kinda shows where their head is in regard to the program also. Disgusting.

The ABJ seems to be going out of its way to cast a shadow and sway public opinion against the University. That should have never been a "real" story. Of course most professors are going to be against any sports. That's not really news. But, by reading the comments following the online version, the public is buying in to the negative hype. As if Joe Akron already isn't apathetic enough, now they can be downright disgusted. And feel good about because the ABJ says it's so.

The ABJ seems to be going out of its way to cast a shadow and sway public opinion against the University. That should have never been a "real" story. Of course most professors are going to be against any sports. That's not really news. But, by reading the comments following the online version, the public is buying in to the negative hype. As if Joe Akron already isn't apathetic enough, now they can be downright disgusted. And feel good about because the ABJ says it's so.

You shouldn't use comment sections, or editorials, as a means to gauge actual public support/dissapproval. People who are not happy about an issue are usually the one's who take the time to write about it, or those who want to defend it.

Summer is a slow season for news, It's also the time when universities make a lot of big decisions. It's a perfect storm of not-good timing. Now, I'm not defending the ABJ, but Scarborough hasn't necessarily been the master of press or narratives either.