Best QB in the 2016 NFL draft

Dr Z

2016 Quarterback NFL Draft  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What quarterback would you select if you had your choice?

• Jared Goff
    • Carson Wentz
    • Paxton Lynch
    • Connor Cook
    • Dak Prescott
    • Cardale Jones
    • Jake Coker
    • Other (Explain in body of post)

This poll is closed to new votes

There will be near ten quarterbacks drafted this year. If you had your choice who would you select, and why? You can't be wrong posting here. It's Mel Kiper's only job, and he is continually wrong...some how people still care what he has to say.  

Kiper “If [Clausen is] not a successful starting quarterback in the NFL, I’m done. That’s it. I’m out.”

Kiper on JaMarcus Russell “Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that’s certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league… look out because the skill level he has is certainly John Elway-like.”

“Akili Smith will be a great NFL player and would finally provide the Cincinnati Bengals with the passer they’d lacked since Boomer Esiason.”

“Mark Sanchez is a hot guy right now because of the fact that he’s what you want in terms of accuracy. And that’s not just in the pocket, that’s not just when he has all day to throw. He can roll right, he can roll left and throw accurately.”

I don't know which one of these is going to be a better NFL QB. What I know is that none of them is worthy of being a Top 3 pick. And since there are several QBs with comparable skills, I hope the Browns will use their 2 pick on a Defender and use their 2nd rounder to get a QB. 

Now none of that matters if they use the #2 pick to select another Barkevious Mingo or Justin Gilbert.

Edited by Valpo Zip

The Cleveland Plain Dealer expects the Browns to take a quarterback at No. 2 overall. Beat writer Mary Kay Cabot expects the Browns to take a signal caller "unless something unforeseen happens in free agency" or a trade. As in, the team lands an acceptable starter. That's highly unlikely in this year's market. Cabot expects the Browns' choice to come down to North Dakota State's Carson Wentz or Cal's Jared Goff. All of this was said with the caveat that it remains very early in the process. Neither Wentz nor Goff are viewed as slam dunk top 10 picks at the moment. A "highly-respected personnel man" told the paper last month that the Browns should take Wentz.

I personally think Lynch has the highest upside, however being a Browns fan, I want Goff. He is more of a sure thing in my opinion, and I still feel his ceiling is pretty high and has a better chance of reaching than Lynch. I am not a believer in the Wentz hype at all. I watched the FCS national semifinal, the FCS final, and the Senior Bowl and I'm just not all that impressed with him. He didn't really do anything in the Senior Bowl. I didn't think he played well in the FCS Championship either. Many balls under thrown, but bailed out by his receivers and a few disappointing INTs. Put up a lot of points due to the defense putting the offense in great position. A sleeper type I do like is Dak Prescott.

On February 18, 2016 at 2:31 PM, LZIp said:

I watched the FCS national semifinal, the FCS final, and the Senior Bowl and I'm just not all that impressed with him.

I watched the Senior Bowl and thought the same.

Jared Goff Measures His Little Hands at the NFL Combine

A scout and I went to lunch in Indianapolis, and before the waiter could say hello, the scout was ranting about the state of quarterbacking in college and the NFL. "Not a single one who makes you go, 'Wow.' The best teams can hope for is that one of these guys becomes Trent Dilfer. "This is not a good class. No matter how much you guys in the media try to spin it." —Mike Freeman.

• 1 month later...

Broncos interested in Dak Prescott. By Scotty Payne

"...Prescott impressed scouts, GM's, and coaches at the Senior Bowl and Combine this year. He showed intelligence, leadership, and overall football character. Team's were reportedly raving over this before Prescott was arrested for a DUI in early March. This was a big step back for a guy who had a ton of positive momentum before this. He has owned up to his mistake, and hopefully, will only be a one-time thing for him. Now, I think Dak would fit well into Gary Kubiak's offense. It's friendly for the quarterback, and he and team could rely on his athleticism early on as he develops as an NFL passer..."

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

This feels like one of the weakest QB classes in recent years. Put any of the top QBs in the last few drafts and at best they go in the late 1st round.

Agreed.  For once, it appears the Browns may have actually made a good deal.  Now they'll blow those picks as they always do.

13 hours ago, Balsy said:

Agreed.  For once, it appears the Browns may have actually made a good deal.  Now they'll blow those picks as they always do.

The Browns have made other good deals in years past. They didn't do much after that, though. I like Goff, and even though they aren't getting him, I believe in Hue's judgement. great track record with QBs. Trying to say they will mess up this year because they have in the past makes zero sense. Those people aren't here anymore. They have some guys in Berea now that I would bet on to succeed. I have a ton more confidence in them than any other regime.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

The Browns have made other good deals in years past. They didn't do much after that, though. I like Goff, and even though they aren't getting him, I believe in Hue's judgement. great track record with QBs. Trying to say they will mess up this year because they have in the past makes zero sense. Those people aren't here anymore. They have some guys in Berea now that I would bet on to succeed. I have a ton more confidence in them than any other regime.

I like Hugh Jackson, I really do.  Best pick in a long time for HC of the Browns.  Though I disagree, it does make perfect sense to predict that they will mess up the draft this year based on the past.  It's a prediction, and the Browns' recent history is a Case Study in support of that prediction.  Sure, it's not the exact same people, but it's a very similar situation to what we've seen in the past:  inexperienced and rather new front office people, different organizational setup, new coaches.  The current Browns front office fired their scouts weeks before the draft.

I hope as any other Browns fan that this will be when things are going to be corrected.  But to simply say that we should eliminate what we know about the past to influence how we evaluate now, is ridiculous.  The Browns have made some terrible moves in the past; gaining number of picks instead of focusing on the quality of the pick.  This year is borderline going to be the same; because there is talk about trading down again.  You either have those bluechip players or you don't.  There is no substitute.

Hue Jackson revealed last week that Jared Goff and Carson Wentz might not be his top two quarterbacks, and he won't get any argument from ESPN's Jon Gruen. Gruden, who studied all of the top prospects for his QB camp series, emerged with Michigan State's Connor Cook -- the Hinckley, Ohio native and Walsh Jesuit grad -- at the top of his list. "He's gonna be I think perhaps the best quarterback in this year's draft," he said on air recently.

Connor has some who are concerned.

“There’s something off,” said an NFL quarterbacks coach, one of many people in the league who have spoken to Cook and gave their impressions to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity for competitive reasons. “There’s something about him that you just don’t trust him.” “I don’t mind the kid at all,” a general manager for a different team said. “I’ll take an (expletive) who wins games over a nice guy who loses games. But there’s something missing with him.” “There’s just something put-offish about him,” an offensive coordinator for a third team said. “It appears to me – I could be dead wrong – but he’d be a guy that, when he got in the locker room, they’d try to eat him up and spit him out.”

I always enjoy watching and listening to Gruden, but every QB that guy brings in for his camps looks like the "best in the class". There is a lot of speculation around Cook not being liked by his teammates. Wasn't even voted as a captain. Not that that would have anything to do with how he would do as a pro, as it couldn't have affected him much in college. Seeing more of his sister might be worth using a draft pick alone B)

• 3 months later...

Update:

Paxton Lynch completed 6 of 7 passes for 74 yards for 0 touchdowns and 0 interceptions and added 3 rushes for 5 yards. 

Connor Cook impressed, completed 7 of 11 passes for 71 yards, would’ve been even better if an offensive pass interference call hadn’t wiped out a long completion.

I watched Dak Prescott go 10-12 for 139 yards and two touchdowns. I thought he looked great. He finished with a 154.5 QB rating.

If your watching HBO's Hard Knocks you know Jared Goff has a hard time figuring out where the sun rises and sets. Here is a Goff evaluation on his rough start.

Carson Wentz started off with an injury. 

Cardale Jones went 11 of 21 for 162 yards and a quarterback rating of 93.8. He also rushed four times for 34 yards. No tweets about the Zips after.

After Cody Kessler figured out GB's odd end zone markings, he went 2-2 for 15 yards and a TD. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

“This is who he is. This is his DNA. … He prepared like he was a five-, six-year veteran, and obviously he played that way.” --Eagles coach Doug Pederson. Why the Browns passed on him.

"He did a really good job,'' said Haden, "He was more advanced than I expected him to be. He's a good quarterback. He stands in the pocket, he's able to make all the throws, very patient, and does not take off running all the time. He looks down the field and picks his receiver that he wants to throw to." On the TD to Agholor, Wentz lasered it where only the receiver could get it. "I was running with the receiver and he threw it to his outside shoulder,'' said Haden. "It was a really good ball.''

30 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

“This is who he is. This is his DNA. … He prepared like he was a five-, six-year veteran, and obviously he played that way.” --Eagles coach Doug Pederson. Why the Browns passed on him.

"He did a really good job,'' said Haden, "He was more advanced than I expected him to be. He's a good quarterback. He stands in the pocket, he's able to make all the throws, very patient, and does not take off running all the time. He looks down the field and picks his receiver that he wants to throw to." On the TD to Agholor, Wentz lasered it where only the receiver could get it. "I was running with the receiver and he threw it to his outside shoulder,'' said Haden. "It was a really good ball.''

As the only Carson Wentz voter in the poll, I am very happy to accept my award.

32 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

As the only Carson Wentz voter in the poll, I am very happy to accept my award.

Time and consistency will determine the best of the class. Good pick, but keep in mind the Browns made Scott Mitchell a football legend...for a few months.