Bobblehead Nights

zippy5

Guys, I get the idea that Current Akron Students aren't familiar with Dru Joyce, but Akron Basketball Fans, or anyone who has ever been an Akron basketball fan, an area high school basketball fan, etc., is another story.  The lack of those people showing up for something like this is a little surprising.   A game against Buffalo in the heat of a conference race that we are about to win, outright?  We would have drawn 3,000 or more, regardless of the bobble heads. 

To say the least, I think there's plenty of basketball programs who would have filled their house for a bobble head of their All-Time Assist Leader. 

You know the sick part of all of this?

We're talking about a "lottery", where someone could win thousands of dollars, just to try to entice maybe 1,000 students into a basketball game. 

Where's the pride in YOUR University?  Where's the desire to want to witness YOUR University being successful in athletics, especially in a major sport ?

:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

You know the sick part of all of this?

We're talking about a "lottery", where someone could win thousands of dollars, just to try to entice maybe 1,000 students into a basketball game. 

Where's the pride in YOUR University?  Where's the desire to want to witness YOUR University being successful in athletics, especially in a major sport ?

:rolleyes:

I'd agree it's sad, especially when you consider at schools like OSU it costs money for students to go to games. I suppose students here pay for it in their student fees, but they are charged that whether they do or don't go.

According to the below link $400 of a students $428 semester fee goes towards supporting athletics. Giving away a couple free scholarships is just a small way of giving back. The plan being that people show up initially in hopes of winning a prize, but they end up staying connected to the university long after graduating.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/university-of-akron-students-want-to-know-how-much-of-their-fees-go-toward-athletics-1.554002

19 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The plan being that people show up initially in hopes of winning a prize, but they end up staying connected to the university long after graduating.

Of course that's the goal, and it should be the goal.  But, you just described the entire problem.  It doesn't happen.  Maybe a few here and there.  It's been that way for the decades I have been around here, and probably for decades before that. 

For example. there's about 5-6 different people I lived with at different times during my 4 years at Akron.  Many of us went to football and basketball games together.  And I can tell you, only ONE of them (besides me) has ever gone to any game since we graduated in the mid-80s.  The rest of them chuckle and say, "You still go to Akron games?" 

So many of the things that have been tried over the years serve no purpose, and the history proves it.  It has to matter to people.  They have to want to participate. 

6 minutes ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

I have an idea for promotions .... announce them before the season and not less than a week before the actual event. 

I agree. The game Tuesday had $1 dogs. Those typically are pretty good draws for pro sports teams. It won't draw someone in that has no desire to attend, but if someone has been on the fence about going, it might get them to click the buy now button.

4 hours ago, morris buttermaker said:

The Bobble head give away a good promo?.. they drew less than 3,100 for the game... yes it was a nice give away, but didn't move the attendance. 

Wasn't the weather bad for that game, or earlier in the day? And it was a Tuesday. The bobbleheads for 2/27 should be big because it was a Friday, and 3/1 is Ohio so always a big crowd.

I think sometimes we just need to listen to ourselves, and stop making excuses for everyone else who's not coming. 

1) Not a recognizable enough former player. (but he is the all-time assist leader)

2) It was a Tuesday and not a Friday/Saturday.

3) It was Buffalo, not OU. (Buffalo is the reigning champ, was right behind us in the standings, and has really grown as a rivalry)

4) It snowed that day (It didn't snow past noon on Tuesday).

5) If only there were more students on/near campus........

And these are just the ones I see in this thread alone. 

They either don't know enough about what we are accomplishing here (a failure in marketing), and/or it just doesn't appear significant enough to get involved.  And I bet most people who don't care right now wouldn't be able to tell you that we have a 21-5 record, a #40 RPI, or lead the league by 2 games. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2016 at 10:00 AM, morris buttermaker said:

The Bobble head give away a good promo?.. they drew less than 3,100 for the game... yes it was a nice give away, but didn't move the attendance. 

It would have been even less without the bobbleheads. There were people there only for the bobbleheads.

On 2/19/2016 at 1:07 PM, skip-zip said:

On 2/19/2016 at 1:29 PM, kreed5120 said:

According to the below link $400 of a students $428 semester fee goes towards supporting athletics.

This is a topic that's been discussed at length on this forum.  Kreed, if a student graduates in 4 years that's roughly $3200 of a student's final cost went to supporting Athletics.  No OSU student will pay $3200 over the life of their career to support OSU athletics.  They pay $70 to go to one game, but it will never be $3200.  There are division II teams that draw more student engagement than UA does...the question is why?  

As for pride for YOUR University Skip...I think UA may never be able to recapture that pride, if it ever had it to begin with.  UA seems, IMO, to have suffered decades upon decades of people who 'Don't Give A Damn'; administrators, alumni and now it's trickled down to students. 

On 2/19/2016 at 2:00 PM, skip-zip said:

The rest of them chuckle and say, "You still go to Akron games?" 

This is starting to happen to me, and unfortunately for UA...I'm starting to lose all enjoyment out of going to Akron games, and I can't quite understand why except that perhaps everything else happening at UA has me frustrated to the point that it must be spilling over.

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I would like to challenge anyone who would say this to find me any person, who purchased a game ticket, who went there only to receive a bobble head. 

I should rephrase it...There were people who wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for the bobblehead.

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I would like to challenge anyone who would say this to find me any person, who purchased a game ticket, who went there only to receive a bobble head. 

They didn't pay for a ticket, but the student section sure emptied out after they were able to pick up their bobble head at halftime.

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 11:39 AM, AyYo said:

It would have been even less without the bobbleheads. There were people there only for the bobbleheads.

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 11:39 AM, skip-zip said:

Me.  Tomorrow.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

You purchased a game ticket just to get a bobblehead?  Really?

I figured you were a season ticket holder.

I am.  Sorry for the half truth, but like Hillary

31600BAA00000578-3455043-image-a-2_14559

I've always tried to tell the truth.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On February 12, 2016 at 5:35 AM, Balsy said:

...would someone be willing to explain the significance of Dru Joyce

Germany's all-time leader in assists

Joyce, 31, is also the University of Akron's all-time assists leader, compiling 503 from 2004-07 for the Zips. And, of course, as one of James' best friends and his point guard at St. V-St. M, Joyce won three Ohio high school championships. But for Joyce, owning the German assists record is uniquely special for him because of the quirks and difficulties of playing in Europe. Players rarely sign contracts longer than one or two seasons, and they often bounce from league to league, country to country, each year. Joyce has played in Germany for all but one of his nine pro seasons. His current team, s. Oliver, is in Würzburg, Germany, hometown to NBA star Dirk Nowitzki. For comparison's sake, Joyce's high school and college teammate, Romeo Travis, has played in Germany, Israel, the Philippines, France, Spain, Croatia, Ukraine, and Russia.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Those were given out at the Women's Basketball game.

I totally missed the memo on that.  Damn.  It would have been a great gesture by the athletic deptartment to give one to everybody who took the bus to Detroit that morning since we were not able to make the Women's game.  Oh, well.

ISO: Zippy #53 basketball bobble head  (somebody out there has an extra)