Miami Redhawks

1981 grad

Have to wonder if the Zips peaked too soon and if they can rediscover themselves before the MAC tournament? Things aren't looking good right now when teams like OU are hitting their stride.

Edit: Looking at scores tonight across the league. Looks like for the most part all the top teams fell tonight.

Edited by kreed5120

It certainly appears that teams are not doubling in the post anymore, to keep a man on all of our shooters.  Thus, the load on Big Dog is getting too heavy. 

I thought that everything didn't go our way Friday in Ken+, and I felt that way again tonight.

Thank You to every other contender for losing tonight also.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

CBI TICKETS HERE!!!!!!  GET YOUR CBI TICKETS!!!!  BUY ONE: GET ONE!!!!!!!  HURRY!!!!  GOING SLOW!!!!!!!

I'm hoping for the big rematch vs. the Fort Wayne Mastodons in the CIT.

Edited by K92

30 minutes ago, tolbob said:

Miami shot 7/16 pointers (44%).   What happened to the number 1 3PT defense?

Opponents have learned how to limit Akron's 3 point shots.  Bad news.  3 losses in last 4 games.

That is my concern.... Every team has a slump at some point and adjust. My biggest concern is that the Zips have given up an average of 78 points over the last 6 games

Should make for an interesting MAC tournament.   Ironically, we may limp in to one of those top 2 seeds a year too late.  I'm taking the Eastern Michigan Eagles for the win, Pete.

We need to think more like those teams (and fans) in all those little southern and east coast conferences who always consider themselves underdogs and are just happy with a conference tourney win and a 16 seed and the slightest chance at being a Cinderella.  Cant's trip to the final 8 and the Kittens trip to sweet 16 got us all thinking we are something we clearly aren't.  We have a decent MAC basketball program that still has as good a chance as anyone (proven by tonight's results  Kittens lost to BG twice?  Kant twice to Buffalo?) in this conference at winning the MAC tourney.  But that's it folks.  It will never be anything more than that.  That became crystal clear as we walked out of Auburn Hills on a cold March night a few years back.

We have much more fun when we dream rather than when we expect.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

For the third (?) time in this awful stretch of Zips basketball, teams close behind in the standings have all lost as well. Tonight, Ohio, Kent, Ball State, and UB sit at 9-6, one back of the 10-5 Zips. Now we realistically could be up three games right now if not for awful performances like tonight, and honestly I'm surprised that no one has even been able to tie us. Is this just a compilation of missed opportunities to run away with the regular season, or is it just destiny that we get the one seed?

I'm leaning toward missed opportunities but regardless of how you feel, this MAC basketball season has been incredible. I may have to take a sick day on Thursday of the tournament to go to both sessions.

• Like 1

The Kent State game was not an anomaly.  We can't play inside out because the defenders are not leaving their man on the double team.  In the last 5 minutes we brought our Big Dog to set a screen instead of pounding the ball inside to him.  Jake and McAdams cannot create their own shot, Noah and Josh cannot drive to the basket, and Antino who can drive to the basket starting forcing things when we fell behind.  KD did not do anything different from Kent State and the results were the same. 

Noah cannot keep his guy in front of him but he continues to get in the guys face 40 feet from the basket.  It makes no sense. 

We should not lose to a team we beat by 30 points last time.  This group is fading at the end of the season just like last year.  It will be interesting if we can get it together for Friday's game.  Need to do something different with the offense.

InTheZone is exactly right, it's frustrating. I hope they do well, but I'm done wasting my time following them. I'll check the box score to see how they do from here, but that's the amount of effort I'm going to invest. Anything more just seems like a waste of time.

I'm hardly calling for KD's head, but something has to change. This team collapses every year down the stretch, then even when they do make a run in Cleveland, they have played themselves into a 14 seed and have no hope of winning a tournament game since the athlete-deficient Zips run into a team that is superior in athletes and has just as much skill.

I was hoping this year would be different, and this team could play it's way to an 11 or 12 seed and get matched up with a team that had some flaws. That is out the window. Even thinking that this team can win the MAC tournament title seems like a pipedream at this point.

This is the lowest I've felt since the Abreu arrest. I took a year year off from really investing anytime in this program then. I'm probably going to do the same again. Kudos to those who stick it out once again.

BTW, am I the only one who feels the football program's future, and potential, is way higher than the basketball program's? TB hasn't had the same quick turnaround in terms of W/L percentage, but he seems to be building a foundation that can lead the football team to greater relative Heights than what KD seems to be able to do.

In four years, TB has the Zips winning a bowl. In 12 years, KD has yet to win a tourney game. To be fair, beating Utah State in the Potato Bowl, is probably akin to KD beating Florida State in the NIT. But I think Akron football is closer to beating a P5 team in a mid-tier bowl than KD is to winning a tournament game (about an equal comparison).

• Like 2

Our defensive deficiencies have been evident all season.  This isn't anything new. 

Our offensive problems are multiple, but somewhat solvable.  And Keith acknowledged most of what's been said here in the Postgame.  Yes, we have guys who can't create their own shot.  Yes, we have guards who can't penetrate.  But that was the makeup of this team from the start.  The problem right now is that teams can get away with having ONE post defender during the 30 minutes that Big Dog is playing, and have the 4 other guys chase the shooters out on the perimeter.  That situation changes dramatically when Pat can play 20 minutes.  That situation can also change dramatically when Antino can stay out of foul trouble and create plays driving to the hoop. 

Maybe we need to stop and realize that we've now played 9 road games and 6 home games in conference play and we're STILL a game in front of everyone else in the league.  I think we'll take that, even though we had some earlier successes on the road that haven't happened recently. 

At the same time, I share in the disappointment that this was another good season that could have turned into a great one.   

Well, the sky is not falling, but as others have alluded to, our potential NCAA Tourney seeding is. A loss, albeit on the road, to a sub-200 RPI team is going to kill our chances of getting higher than a 12 seed should we win the MAC Tourney. I do still have a lot of faith in this team to right the ship. And 3 final home games will be a good way to help facilitate that. Thankfully we get BG on Friday so hopefully that's a good opportunity to fix some things.