This class is filling up.  18 verbals now.  

Still hoping we sign one more QB.

Still hoping we get a verbal from local product Bubba Arslanian (LB).

Still hoping to get that huge verbal from UGIII's brother Uriah Gilbert, DT, 6'-3", 325.

We also have an offer out to Hudson P Jonah Wieland.  Kyle Foster is excellent with the placement punts, but Jonah is one of those punters who can change field position.  With our D we really could have used a leg like that this year.

Wonder how many schollies we're gonna hold on to for potential transfers? (DL, DL, DL!!!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Still hoping to get that huge verbal from UGIII's brother Uriah Gilbert, DT, 6'-3", 325.

We also have an offer out to Hudson P Jonah Wieland.  Kyle Foster is excellent with the placement punts, but Jonah is one of those punters who can change field position.  With our D we really could have used a leg like that this year.

Wonder how many schollies we're gonna hold on to for potential transfers? (DL, DL, DL!!!)

I agree with all of this.

I'm guessing there will be at least one DL transfer. That's kind of been the theme the last couple of years ... McCray, Pittman, Marcus, Hamilton.

Anybody know how many open scholarships there are? I'm done trying to figure out who exactly is on scholarship and who isn't. But I see there are 22 seniors on the roster and only 14 that were no brainer guys on scholarship, then Lane. It'll be interesting to see where some of the attrition will come.

Here's the eight seniors I'm unsure were scholarship:

Matthew Hoyer

D.J. Jones

Christopher Spurill

Cory Morrow

Zachary Sweat

Ibrahim Mohammed

Michael Butler

Darian Williams

Not that 247 even pretends to care about Akron recruiting, but I went back and they don't have any of those guys ever signing a letter of intent. I'll split the difference and say four of those guys either were always on scholarship or were put on scholarship this year. 

That tentatively puts Akron at 19 spots (18 seniors and Lane). Then Shipman left the program, so that's 20. Can't remember if we lost anybody else on scholarship. When you factor the usual 4-5 guys (at any program in the country) who transfer/give up football/injury during the offseason, so it actually looks like the Zips can easily fit all the guys on your list and have a couple more slots for grad transfers. Plus, I would be stunned if the two Oregon kids ever end up at Akron.

Edited by wadszip

Can't find anything new regarding offers for any of the 3 mentioned above. No news isn't bad news I guess.

• Like 1

Here's the current class broken down by position.  I'm excluding the two verbals from the Oregon kids because I'm with WadZip in doubting they'll ever set foot on campus.

QB: 1

Nick Johns, JUCO

OL: 2

Marcus Kidd (Garfield)

Hunter Corne (Dunnellon HS, FL)

RB: 2

Jemarulin Suggs (East)

Marquise Bridges (Ellet)

WR: 1

Dusty Burkhart (Coventry)

DL: 4

DeAndre Brimage (East)

Tracy Jordan (Springfield)

Kobie Booker (Barberton)

Justin Sampson (STVM)

LB: 1

Will Barto (Briarcrest Christian HS, TN)

DB: 2

Marquess Callaway (East)

Reggie Corner Jr. (McK)

Jordyn Riley (North Marion HS, FL)

ATH: 1

Malik Woodridge (STVM)

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

What I'm interested to know is which of these guys, if any, can make an impact day 1 as an incoming freshman? Particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

I would expect one of the RBs (maybe both depending on Ball) to make an impact and hopefully a DL will separate themselves as both positions are a need. I don't think there is much opportunity elsewhere outside of special teams when considering what is coming back at certain positions/the recruits talent.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

What I'm interested to know is which of these guys, if any, can make an impact day 1 as an incoming freshman? Particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

Here is who I think can potentially play early:

Justin Sampson may be too good to keep off the field. He was easily St. V's best player this year, IMO. But like Blue & Gold said, he may end up being a big WR. So if that's the case, he'll be at a position of strength so it will be tough to move up the chart. Though, I think he'll end up at DE and be a terror as a pass rusher down the road. Once he gets into a college weight program, could see him ending up being in the 6-3, 245 range. With his speed, will be tough for OTs to stay in front of him. ... I mean St. V's is hardly hurting for athletes with all the D1 skill guys they have and he still was the team's kick returner, just crazy.

Tracy Jordan has the build (6-3, 250 as a HS senior) to potentially play early next year on the line. IMO, he probably projects as an interior lineman so if he gets time next year, will probably be at DE until he fills out in the 285 pound range. But he looks athletic enough to start out at DE if he's needed. Hopefully, he can redshirt and fill more into his frame.

Kobie Booker has a shot at early playing time if he comes in as a TE. He won't unseat Taylor-Bennett, but could see him moving to No. 2 on the depth chart if he is a TE (where I think he should start). If you haven't watched his senior highlights (he added the full season about three weeks ago to hudl), check them out. I've never seen hands that soft on a guy his size. ... one-handed leaping catches, going over defenders to pull passes in, a one-handed running interception (obviously on defense). He's a guy who if he was 6-4 is a no-brainer TE and probably a 4-star, top 150 player. He reminds me a ton of Newman Williams just as an overall monster high school player. I know Williams is now a TE, but always thought he was a better defensive player than TE, but just doesn't have the speed to stick at LB (where he excelled in HS). But as a TE, don't think there is any doubt that Booker is the better prospect. But Booker can also easily come in as a DL, so who knows. ... BTW, wonder if he is any relation to Dante Booker, the former St. V 5-star LB now at Ohio State?

Jemarulin Suggs I think absolutely plays next year and becomes the starting running back at some point in the season. Part of it is that it's an area of weakness and part of it is Suggs' talent. I think I mentioned this before but I talked to somebody who watches a lot more high school football in Summit County than I do who thinks Akron actually got the two best backs in the county. He actually think Marquise Bridges is the best "player" of all of them. Either way, that's saying something when you are in the same county as 4-star Todd Sibley and Michigan State bound Weston Bridges (MSU has never been short on RB talent). The reason I think Suggs plays before Bridges, though, is because is definitely a RB all the way. Bridges may be better suited in a JoJo Natson role on offense in the slot ... get him the ball in space and let him go to work with his speed and shiftiness. Bridges' speed is legit. It's funny if you watch Suggs' hudl highlights, you can hear the East coaches talking from the box throughout. There was a play in the East-Ellet game where Suggs gets to the corner and one of the East coaches says "He's gone." Immediately another says, "Bridges is going to catch him." Bridges absolutley ran him down from across the field (though did have an angle ... 2:44 mark). But Suggs has very good speed, so for Bridges to still close that gap on him that he did shows you what kind of speed he has.

Reggie Corner has the bloodlines and the high school accolades, so won't count him out. I think he's a safety all the way. Guiser is entrenched at one spot, but if Corner is like his dad, going to be impossible to keep him off the field.

Just my take, fwiw.

12 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

On the defensive side of the ball I think it's going to be tough for these guys to make an immediate impact. One, because we'll want to redshirt as many as possible to give them a year in a college strength program, but also because of the talent we've got coming back.

Returning D players:

SAFTIES:

Zach Guiser

Shawn Featherstone

Jordan George

Reggie Corner Jr.? (This guy's legit & is going to be a great one)

CORNERS:

Kyron Brown

Alvin Davis (S, I know... but with his size he may be better suited @ C?)

Jordyn Riley? (LOVE this guys' film)

LINEBACKERS: (this should be a team strength next year):

UGIII

Jamal Davis II (this guy's a beast & a game changer)

James King (hey, just like Jelani Hamilton, this guy's a transfer from The U, so he's gotta be awesome, right?)

DEFENSIVE ENDS:

Deon'Tae Moore

Brian Bell

Justin Sampson? (still a little light in the britches)

Tracy Jordan? (has a college body already... but I question his motor; he didn't dominate this year like he should have)

Kobie Booker? (this is where I think Kobie could be a terror.  6-1, 250 & can run & has quick feet.  He's built like the Incredible Hulk)

DEFENSIVE TACKLES: (almost unheard of for true frosh to make impact here)

Brock Boxen (crossing my fingers)

Ibrahima Camara

Darius Copeland (coaching staff loves Darius but I never saw him do much this year but get pushed off the LOS)

Davon'te Jest (excited to see him next year - after the desired year in the weight room)

DeAndre Brimage? ("Brim" needs a year in the weight room to compete @ DT on the D-1 college level. Definite redshirt IMO.)

Edited by Blue & Gold

10 hours ago, wadszip said:

Jemarulin Suggs I think absolutely plays next year and becomes the starting running back at some point in the season. Part of it is that it's an area of weakness and part of it is Suggs' talent. I think I mentioned this before but I talked to somebody who watches a lot more high school football in Summit County than I do who thinks Akron actually got the two best backs in the county. He actually think Marquise Bridges is the best "player" of all of them. Either way, that's saying something when you are in the same county as 4-star Todd Sibley and Michigan State bound Weston Bridges (MSU has never been short on RB talent). The reason I think Suggs plays before Bridges, though, is because is definitely a RB all the way. Bridges may be better suited in a JoJo Natson role on offense in the slot ... get him the ball in space and let him go to work with his speed and shiftiness. Bridges' speed is legit. It's funny if you watch Suggs' hudl highlights, you can hear the East coaches talking from the box throughout. There was a play in the East-Ellet game where Suggs gets to the corner and one of the East coaches says "He's gone." Immediately another says, "Bridges is going to catch him." Bridges absolutley ran him down from across the field (though did have an angle ... 2:44 mark). But Suggs has very good speed, so for Bridges to still close that gap on him that he did shows you what kind of speed he has.

This is where I'm at in my thinking on these two. (The staff is still going after a JUCO RB, so may hope to redshirt both. Idk.)

But Suggs could be the starer by the end of next year, maybe by the middle of the year.  He's a good, old-fashioned RB.  My only concern is, with the offense we run, does a RB ever get enough carries to get into a groove?  Idk, but I digress...

Marquise Bridges is a breath-taking athlete.  I mentioned in another thread that when I watched him accelerate through the hole I had the same feeling I got watching Jimmal Ball dunk.  He's that kind of athlete.  But I'm betting the coaches want to use him like a JoJo Natson, slot guy.  Get him the ball in space & hope he makes the coaches job easy.

I never saw Weston Bridges play, but I've seen Todd Sibley a handful of times and I'd take either Suggs or Bridges over Sibs in a heartbeat, every time.  I love Todd Sibley's build - he's a bulldozer & will be a great "workhorse" back for Pitt. (I believe Sibs ended his career as Ohio's #5 all-time leading rusher.)  But... and I'm not just saying this because I'm a Zips fan... give me either Suggs or M. Bridges over Sibs... let alone BOTH:rock:

Edited by Blue & Gold

31 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

On the defensive side of the ball I think it's going to be tough for these guys to make an immediate impact. One, because we'll want to redshirt as many as possible to give them a year in a college strength program, but also because of the talent we've got coming back.

I obviously don't want to rush true freshman on the field if they don't have the size to play, but not buying this so called talent we got coming back. We were statistically one of the worst defenses in FBS and this was likely the worst Akron defense I've ever witnessed. Add in the fact we lost 2 of our better defenders Scott and Marcus. We need new contributors to become impact players on defense if we have any hope of contending in the MAC East. It doesn't matter to me if they are transfers, RS freshmen, or true freshmen. We have a few quality starters, but we could use more and we need depth at pretty much every position.

Edited by kreed5120

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Returning D players:

SAFTIES:

Zach Guiser

Shawn Featherstone

Jordan George

Reggie Corner Jr.? (This guy's legit & is going to be a great one)

CORNERS:

Kyron Brown

Alvin Davis (S, I know... but with his size he may be better suited @ C?)

Jordyn Riley? (LOVE this guys' film)

LINEBACKERS: (this should be a team strength next year):

UGIII

Jamal Davis II (this guy's a beast & a game changer)

James King (hey, just like Jelani Hamilton, this guy's a transfer from The U, so he's gotta be awesome, right?)

DEFENSIVE ENDS:

Deon'Tae Moore

Brian Bell

Justin Sampson? (still a little light in the britches)

Tracy Jordan? (has a college body already... but I question his motor; he didn't dominate this year like he should have)

Kobie Booker? (this is where I think Kobie could be a terror.  6-1, 250 & can run & has quick feet.  He's built like the Incredible Hulk)

DEFENSIVE TACKLES: (almost unheard of for true frosh to make impact here)

Brock Boxen (crossing my fingers)

Ibrahima Camara

Darius Copeland (coaching staff loves Darius but I never saw him do much this year but get pushed off the LOS)

Davon'te Jest (excited to see him next year - after the desired year in the weight room)

DeAndre Brimage? ("Brim" needs a year in the weight room to compete @ DT on the D-1 college level. Definite redshirt IMO.)

I like the caution you have in your post. Freshmen rarely ever help, except possibly for depth. Moreover freshmen almost never make you better, at best they plug gaps. We don't have gaps on defense. We have canyons to fill. Kreed was right in reminding us this is the worst returning defense in the conference. If we can't get better there, thru transfers, redshirt freshmen and graduated senior transfers, we will have another disaster. This recruiting class is exciting to have but w/o a D that can stop people we are deluding ourselves in our passionate desire to see the Zips become a winner in football. 

I pray Terry is the guy to lead us to the promised land. I support him and his leadership except for one major area. We can sign all the hottest talent there is on offense but w/o an OC that knows how to use it those signings become a waste. I have zero confidence in Milwee. I believe history proves me right. Wish it wasn't so.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I obviously don't want to rush true freshman on the field if they don't have the size to play, but not buying this so called talent we got coming back. We were statistically one of the worst defenses in FBS and this was likely the worst Akron defense I've ever witnessed. Add in the fact we lost 2 of our better defenders Scott and Marcus. We need new contributors to become impact players on defense if we have any hope of contending in the MAC East. It doesn't matter to me if they are transfers, RS freshmen, or true freshmen. We have a few quality starters, but we could use more and we need depth at pretty much every position.

DBs will be fine. I am confident there will be a nice jump in improvement with the LBs. Something that was missed on this board is that Gilbert was named first team all MAC and he certainly has room to improve. King and Davis have to be a slight improvement at worst over what was out there last year. DL is a huge question mark, more so regarding DE and depth IMO. I think Boxen and Jest can be solid MAC players.

Edited by LZIp

16 hours ago, LZIp said:

Regarding DBs, keep in mind Darian Dailey (Rutgers) and Mark Ellis (WVU) will both be eligible this season.

Darian Dailey is fast (4.35 40 yard dash) with elite coverage skills at CB

-e5fb55c595634f77.JPG

Another CB to keep an eye on is Denzel Butler. His brother Darius plays CB in the NFL for the Colts

Edited by zzx