Game 10—Toledo Rockets

zipsoutsider

2 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

We've already given up nearly 500 yards of offense. This is pathetic.

I know the iCoach teams were just abysmal, but is this defense worse than any of his teams? Overall, this version is slightly better since they have some semblance of an offense, but defensively, this is historically bad.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wadszip said:

I know the iCoach teams were just abysmal, but is this defense worse than any of his teams? Overall, this version is slightly better since they have some semblance of an offense, but defensively, this is historically bad.

Which is a damn shame because this might be the greatest Akron offense ever.

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Which is a damn shame because this might be the greatest Akron offense ever.

I'm still partial to 2003, but this year's WRs are the best the school has had.

But it doesn't matter with this defense, which may have just given up the worst TD I have ever seen. First, the guy is open by 15 yards. Second, he bobbles it and barley holds on. 3. It didn't matter as he still ended up running past two defenders for an untouched TD, smh

• Like 1

I was wondering how somebody could get that wide open.  We blitzed 6 guys and they had 6 blockers, nobody came close to the quarterback.  The defender was reading the eyes of the quarterback and the safety was in the middle of the field.  The receiver ran past the defender and was wide open.  This defense cannot play with good teams. 

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

20 points against Buffalo last week and 17 tonight against this Toledo defense isn't doing much to support that.  

I'll give the offense a partial pass for last week and the poor conditions. They have disappointed this week, but when firing on all cylinders they have been explosive.

Edit: kind of hard to play offense when you are always playing from behind and the defense knows you have to pass.

Edited by kreed5120

Well, our defense is so bad it's no longer even worth complaining about.

Presently, bowl eligibility is my gauge for a successful season.  This is Akron, after all.  After a few seasons of bowl eligibility I may raise the bar to winning the MAC East and, one day (hopefully), to winning the MACC.  But for me... for now... it's still simple bowl eligibility.

I'm no longer expecting to beat OU.  That means the season comes down to next Wednesday versus BUGS.

It's do or die next Wednesday.

Edited by Blue & Gold

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Well, our defense is so bad it's no longer even worth complaining about.

Presently, bowl eligibility is my gauge for a successful season.  This is Akron, after all.  After a few seasons of bowl eligibility I may raise the bar to winning the MAC East and, one day (hopefully), to winning the MACC.  But for me... for now... it's still simple bowl eligibility.

I'm no longer expecting to beat OU.  That means the season comes down to next Wednesday versus BUGS.

It's do or die next Wednesday.

Unfortunately, one of BG's strengths is their offensive line. I heard Joe Dunn mention in pre-game that there might be some help with a player or two coming over to defense from the offense, but no mention of names or positions.  

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

We're probably too decimated up front to stop the run or rush the passer with any degree of success from here on out.  We have to live with that. 

Here's how I see it:

1) Beat BG and go to a Bowl.  I hate the idea of going to a Bowl Game as a .500 team, but it is what it is.

2) Take advantage of the 2 weeks off to give OU all we got.  As much as we hated the late bye week, it's going to be a blessing.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that we're going to have to outscore people.  We were already in that situation before the season began.  It's simply become more evident.