Is it too soon to start discussing Zips basketball?

kreed5120

9 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

It's about time for some new uni's for the basketball progrum, right?  

Our FB progrum has the most beautiful uni's in all of football! :rock: 

(Save the San Diego Chargers.)

Yes, but first we gotta get Dambrot pronouncing "progrum" correctly ;)

• Like 1

Some more tidbits;

Mike Hughes is much more athletic than Pat Foresyth. He also has a bit of a mean streak.

Noah Robothom is no longer wearing a knee brace.

Emanuel Olajapoke has serious hops and a nice touch around the basket.

If Big Dog is open from beyond the arc don't be surprised to see him take the shot.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Thanks

Yep!

The dude is a baller.  He's just one of those guys with a knack for putting the ball in the hole (kinda like Antino).  

But he's got a slight build & is only 5'8.  Will he be able to defend at this level?  We'll see.

And tbh, 5'8" might be even a tad generous.  I saw TDM at a football game.  Well, I'm 5'8" and he is definitely no taller than I am.  Maybe a bit shorter.

He's one of those gambles you've got to take at the mid-major level.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Yep!

The dude is a baller.  He's just one of those guys with a knack for putting the ball in the hole (kinda like Antino).  

But he's got a slight build & is only 5'8.  Will he be able to defend at this level?  We'll see.

And tbh, 5'8" might be even a tad generous.  I saw TDM at a football game.  Well, I'm 5'8" and he is definitely no taller than I am.  Maybe a bit shorter.

He's one of those gambles you've got to take at the mid-major level.

Sometimes you can make a lot out of guys that size in the MAC.  Humpty comes to mind.  He was about the same height.  

When a guy can play, he can play.  Maybe he can't defend in a conventional sense, but maybe his quickness will allow him to get to some loose balls.  So,  he can contribute defensively in that way.  

Archie Miller spoke about his shooting program tonight at the Nike Basketball Clinic at Cuyahoga Heights H.S.

He had Brian Walsh there as his demonstrator. I believe Brian put up around 300 shots in the 30-40 min workout he did and Archie Miller condensed it since it was one of his coaches and not a player. Well done tonight, BW.

Edited by mes102

I thought it was a fair preview with a lot of the "usual suspects" named. In the college basketball pecking order Akron and the MAC are still considered small. And even with Akron near the top for ten years we've still only won the tourney three times so I think its also fair to call it a wide open league. Could this finally be the year to win an NCAA tournament game? I think its within the realm of the possible.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MDZip said:

I thought it was a fair preview with a lot of the "usual suspects" named. In the college basketball pecking order Akron and the MAC are still considered small. And even with Akron near the top for ten years we've still only won the tourney three times so I think its also fair to call it a wide open league. Could this finally be the year to win an NCAA tournament game? I think its within the realm of the possible.

I hear what you're saying.  But, it would sure be nice to see some mention of Akron's consistent position.  It's not as if every team in the MAC has randomly appeared all over the standings over the last decade.  We've clearly been THE target team.  Nobody else in the MAC during that time (or possibly ever) has played in anything near 8 title games.  Has anyone else even played in 3 or 4 ?  I just think it deserves some mention, rather than indicating that the league is some sort of random scrambled mess every year.  

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I hear what you're saying.  But, it would sure be nice to see some mention of Akron's consistent position.  It's not as if every team in the MAC has randomly appeared all over the standings over the last decade.  We've clearly been THE target team.  Nobody else in the MAC during that time (or possibly ever) has played in anything near 8 title games.  Has anyone else even played in 3 or 4 ?  I just think it deserves some mention, rather than indicating that the league is some sort of random scrambled mess every year.  

I hear you too :), and I'd love a little more recognition for a program that has made at least the conference semifinals for a decade and more often than not the finals, but in those ten years the MAC has sent six different champions to the NCCAs. That's still pretty wide open. :)

• Like 1

Fans are invited to attend the Zips' 2016 Basketball Media Day, presented by the Wentz Financial Group, on Thursday, Oct. 20, from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Student Union. The event, which is FREE and open to the public, will be streamed LIVE on GoZips.com. Fans will have an opportunity to ask questions and win prizes both in-person and online. To submit a question online, use the Twitter hashtag #AsktheZips. FREE parking will be available in the Lot 36 deck.

source

On 10/14/2016 at 3:30 PM, skip-zip said:

You are correct, Akron's 8 MACC appearances in 10yrs is the most by any team in a 10yr stretch. Other teams have been close though.

MACC appearance in a decade-

8 Akron (2007-2016)

7 Cant St (1999-2008)

6 Ball St (1986-1995)

5 EMU (1988-1997) *EMU won 6 in an 11yr stretch

4 Ohio (2005-2014)

MACC wins in a  decade-

5 Ball St (5-1)

5 Cant St (5-2)

3 Ohio (3-1)

3 EMU (3-2)

3 Akron (3-5)

It says a lot about Akron's consistency when they can lose so many important pieces and still be expected to be on top of an improving MAC.