Game 1—@Penn State Nittany Lions

zipsoutsider

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Saying he is the future =/= saying he should start. But hey, the know-it-alls on here were just telling us how much Kato sucked a few weeks ago when a meaningless depth chart was released. :rolleyes: You can lead a horse to water...

I have been high on Kato since he was recruited, so just stop. 

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Saying he is the future =/= saying he should start. But hey, the know-it-alls on here were just telling us how much Kato sucked a few weeks ago when a meaningless depth chart was released. :rolleyes: You can lead a horse to water...

I did not watch the game...so for what it is worth...I have not posted anything about the PSU game....but I will say Kato did NOT impress in the Spring game, nor has he "lit it up" in practices...not being a know it all, just saying...B)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I don't recall anyone saying Kato sucked.  There was some concern about him being 4th on the depth chart, but I thought the negative commentary was directed toward the coaching staff not Kato.

3 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Ham,

You are definitely a glass-half-full kind of guy. Keep it up. We need more like you. The thing you have overlooked is that last year, against MAC teams, our OL could not get holes for our backs. This has nothing to do with the QB injuries or Ball being out. Morgan and Edwards can hit holes if they are there. So the situation continued in our first game against a good, but rebuilt PSU DL. There was not one ray of hope the whole game long. That's quite an indictment as to their quality in run blocking. If they have character they will work harder and come back. ISU and Troy will be big challenges.

When the competition comes down a notch in games 3 & 4, I'll be ready to make a better judgement.  Game 2 should be a total mismatch.

I certainly wouldn't bench TW next week, but I would give Kato some meaningful reps.  This game could build some confidence for the team to propel them to a great season.

6 hours ago, gozips19 said:

So you missed him under throw a wide open wr on a deep ball that would be 6? 

So you missed him yell at the refs, teammates,  and coaches? Those are all facts. 

Personally I'd let him sit next week.  Gives Kato some much needed game reps while hopefully growing his confidence.  All while Woody recovers.  To me it's a win-win. 

How can you be so sure the long ball misses were not timing issues? He has not thrown to Smith and Young all that much. They were not getting first team reps last year and he is just returning. That being said, I didn't see any better timing from the other guys, either...maybe it has something to do with route running, as well?

Let Woody work out his timing against Pine Bluff next week.

7 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

How can you be so sure the long ball misses were not timing issues? He has not thrown to Smith and Young all that much. They were not getting first team reps last year and he is just returning. That being said, I didn't see any better timing from the other guys, either...maybe it has something to do with route running, as well?

It wasn't timing... it was noodle arm 

5 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Lol, oh, OK...I guess you now know how Tomny'arm feels and what he can and can't do. Oh, to be so clairvoyant.

I watched the game. I saw his noodle arm underthrow every deep shot and the penn state defense line up within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. Keep making excuses for your boy. 

14 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Again, you saw one thing, I saw another. Time will tell. I am not saying it is impossible that his arm is weak, just saying we cant be certain. Would it really be so hard to acknowledge there are other possibilities?

Normally I would say yes... however, too many negatives with TW. I had serious concerns with his leadership during his issues last year. I saw nothing on Saturday to put those concerns to bed. Actually, it made it worse. I saw enough from Kato to want to go to him. Just my opinion. 

39 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Under thrown balls on designed go routes are rarely about timing. Perhaps if it was over thrown. I've seen Woody make that throw in the past but not since he's been injured. Perhaps he can build up his arm strength during the year but that remains to be seen. I'd rather have him sit for a game and heal/build up arm strength. I'm not completely sold on Kato but I think this should be the move for next week. 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:40 PM, gozips19 said:

I also hated Woody's childish behavior.  He's a senior and needs to show a better example on the field. 

To me, this stuck out like a sore thumb as one of my biggest takeaways from the game on TV.

This team needs some upper classmen leadership and he showed very little -- other than playing at less than 100%.

We literally *should* have a scrimmage next week. No reason not to be able to see what you have in both and go from there. Woody's issue could have easily been rust, maybe not. No reason to give up on someone who has proven to be a top 3-4 MAC QB when healthy because they play bad against a team who could very likely make the playoff. If he stinks it up against UAPB and Kato looks good, then go with him. I'd imagine Wolf would also help on those deep balls as he can actually go up and fight for them, unlike Bickley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

We literally *should* have a scrimmage next week. No reason not to be able to see what you have in both and go from there. Woody's issue could have easily been rust, maybe not. No reason to give up on someone who has proven to be a top 3-4 MAC QB when healthy because they play bad against a team who could very likely make the playoff. If he stinks it up against UAPB and Kato looks good, then go with him. I'd imagine Wolf would also help on those deep balls as he can actually go up and fight for them, unlike Bickley.

Unlike last season, the Zips have 4 available QB's. Kelley and Johns were specifically added because of their college experience, and the fact that Woodson's health was/is still questionable. 

Bowden will be fair to Woodson, but won't hesitate to play any of the three guys behind him if he falters.

18 hours ago, K92 said:

I don't recall anyone saying Kato sucked.  There was some concern about him being 4th on the depth chart, but I thought the negative commentary was directed toward the coaching staff not Kato.

I think it was a little of both right?  People seeing Kato 4th on the Depth chart thought it meant he sucked, and therefore said the coaching staff sucked by brining in QBs who can't even beat out JUCO QB transfers (using "sucked" is meant to be slightly hyperbolic here, but a general representation).  Others were making the argument that he was 4th on the depth chart not because he sucked, but because he had to work his way up.  

Either way, I don't think the concern of him being 4th on the Depth chart was a valid concern.  He's now second; so both arguments either negative against Kato or negative against the coaches, is moot. 

19 hours ago, LZIp said:

Yes the only thing I'd add (and have been saying for months now) is that 2015 TW would not likely be seen again, because his injury is difficult to come back from.

19 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

I have been high on Kato since he was recruited, so just stop. 

I don't why I quoted you so ignore this...:D

I thought TW's behavior was detrimental to the team.  The QB position on almost every team is the leader and in a leader you want them to be emotionally steady, not one who is up or down because of adversity. or good fortune.   As a senior, where's the maturity?   His ranting, shown often on TV, was not the actions of a mature leader.  The offense is keying on the QB to lead them no matter the situation.  I'm just a fan, not someone who has an inside line on team goings on.  I'm definitely looking forward to this season and hoping for an improved team free from numerous injuries.   I do keep up on team discussion here for both FB and BB.  Thanks to all who contribute and I really enjoy the different viewpoints. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jhl385 said:

I thought TW's behavior was detrimental to the team.  The QB position on almost every team is the leader and in a leader you want them to be emotionally steady, not one who is up or down because of adversity. or good fortune.   As a senior, where's the maturity?   His ranting, shown often on TV, was not the actions of a mature leader.  The offense is keying on the QB to lead them no matter the situation.  I'm just a fan, not someone who has an inside line on team goings on.  I'm definitely looking forward to this season and hoping for an improved team free from numerous injuries.   I do keep up on team discussion here for both FB and BB.  Thanks to all who contribute and I really enjoy the different viewpoints. 

I saw some crying to the referees from Tommy, which I am never a fan of, so that was disappointing.  Mostly what I saw from him was disgust with the sideline but I have to tell you, if I was a senior qb wanting to "go go go" and "win win win", still waiting at the line of scrimmage (again) for plays to come in, I would be exasperated too.  Delayed playcalling has become a calling card for us.